Thread: FAI cup matches w/e 29/8/11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poster View Post
    Finito 2-2. Replay on Monday.

Dan Murray
    What about him? He did fine in the final 10 minutes..

Fair result overall, UCD's striker who got the first put the fear of the Flying Spaghetti Monster into Sives in particular. Great first goal, very well taken. It's becoming clear that MON will have to use the first team to settle the game before resting players. Drogheda away, Galway away and now this, the replacements have struggled.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    What happened in Longford on Sat was a complete disgrace, a lot of people have waded in here giving their opinion but they weren't there. Way too many people in this country seem incapable of believing that the gardai can do any wrong. It reminds me of the denial of abuse in the Catholic church. This was not a case of 'Casuals' causing trouble, I don't know what your idea of a casual is because none of the lads there on Saturday were there to look for any sort of trouble, I for one cannot stand such behaviour and would never condone it. I have never been involved in any sort of violence in (or outside) a football ground ever, and I can honestly say that I cannot remember the last time I witnessed any sort of 'scumbag' as was described earlier cause any trouble during a match (no matter what is reported), What happens between green street wannabes between themselves outside of football grounds does not concern me at all.

I was hit by pepper spray as I walked by the gap in the stand from a distance of 20m or so, thankfully it did not really affect me from that distance but when I looked around me it was just small groups of 3/4/5 people standing to the side getting sprayed. There was no mass riot going on as has been suggested. I spoke with the local gardai, they admitted that they were embarrassed by what was happening. The young lads sprayed (repeatedly) were denied medical attention for half an hour. I spoke to the 2 stewards on the gate after the incident, they too said they couldnt believe what happened, neither of them were injured.

The guards were a disgrace on Saturday but as already stated they were not solely to blame, some of that comes from within our own club I dont know how many people were refused admission (it cant have been very many) but the only people who I know of who were refused admission were refused as a direct result of personal problems with certain board members, these are decent people who certainly do not fit the stereotypes in the heads of certain posters on here. And any aggression inside the stadium was verbal (towards said board member) and a shake of the gate, there was no mob!

Anyway it matters not, I have witnessed such abuses of power far too often and people can make out all they want that this was a case of Bohs 'soccer hooligans' causing trouble, it simply wasn't, believe what you want, you won't believe what is happening until it happens to your club, to be honest I may have reacted the same beforehand. The sensationalist media reporting has to be admired though... 2 buses of 'hooligans' were supposedly in Longford (cue hilarious attendance jokes!) but yet we struggle to bring 2 buses in total to some places (cue hilarious all bohs fans are hooligans jokes!), Where would we get 2 buses of hooligans from? We would have to import them or advertise for weeks! Something doesnt add up.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I've read this thread about the trouble at the Longford v Bohs match and I'm in disbelief. I know I shouldn't be but the defence of the Bohs supporters is incredible. If everyone behaved the guards would not be required, the guards would not have had to act. It is not possible to blame the stewards or guards. The problem is some of the Bohs supporters. There is no way that can be argued because if that troublesome minority/majority weren't there then nobody would have gotten pepper sprayed or injured in any way.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Because the cops couldn't possibly have overreacted? Not like we haven't experience of that both at football matches, and at other protests, is it?

There's a couple of caveats though...
    - we don't know what they were being fed by Bohs officials (or from Longford officials, reacting to what they are being told), if anything at all.
    - there have been previous incidents involving Bohs in Longford that have 100% been bsc and their ilk up to no good - that'd naturally make people think the worst and react a certain way.
    Last edited by Macy; 30/08/2011 at 8:46 AM.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfx- View Post
    Fair result overall
    Thought we were a teency bit fortunate tbh - didn't think it was a red card (there was another defender alongside the incident), and ye were just about to bring on Twigg when Flynn was sent off; he was re-benched and Murray came on instead. Ye were fairly sluggish throughout (except for the 15 minutes from the start of the second half to the opener), but the team ye had out was still strong enough. With Twigg on, a sluggish Rovers become a sluggish Rovers who'll probably nick a jammy goal. Massive red card decision in more ways than one.

When's the replay, do you know? Schedule's fairly clogged up in coming days, what with the two Ireland games and the initial game being moved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Because the cops couldn't possibly have overreacted? Not like we haven't experience of that both at football matches, and at other protests, is it?

- we don't know what they were being fed by Bohs officials (or from Longford officials, reacting to what they are being told), if anything at all.
    - there have been previous incidents involving Bohs in Longford that have 100% been bsc and their ilk up to no good - that'd naturally make people think the worst and react a certain way.
    The presence of the Bohs crowd that were not allowed in started the trouble. Yes the cops may have over-reacted. You can't over-react unless there is something to react to. They reacted to the Bohs crowd. No Bohs crowd, no over-reacting cops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCdfc View Post
    The presence of the Bohs crowd that were not allowed in started the trouble. Yes the cops may have over-reacted. You can't over-react unless there is something to react to. They reacted to the Bohs crowd. No Bohs crowd, no over-reacting cops.
    Ya we should start a major clamp down on away fans going to games immediately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Ya we should start a major clamp down on away fans going to games immediately.
    Very clever. If they were not there to cause trouble the would have walked away after being refused entry. Also, a crowd wouldn't have left the ground to get involved either.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Rovers deserved what they got last night,trying to walk the ball into the net.
    Should win the replay,if MON can put a rocket up the ar$e of the 2nd string.
    hope we win,just so we can end sligos season in next round.

I can confirm that longford is a $hithole with stasi security.only interested to see TC and big bad Don Cowen do well.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Very clever. If they were not there to cause trouble the would have walked away after being refused entry. Also, a crowd wouldn't have left the ground to get involved either.
    No doubt the lads that were denied entry should have walked away and if they knew they were banned should not have showed up in the first place.

Dont think they left the ground did they? They went down to the gate to see what was happening and tried to leave i think was said.

But if its true that people were sprayed while trying to help other people its a disgrace.

The guards go mental at some games involving teams that have scum elements they dont bother going after the people causing the trouble they just get stuck in to everyone.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    Yeah, we're animals. We've got weapons of mass destruction and the capability to launch an attack on abbotstown in 45 minutes.
    It wasn't a weapon of mass destruction that smashed the bus window last week at Dalymount.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Before the pepper spray incident I saw 2 guards standing inside the stadium with their batons drawn and over their shoulder, there was nothing going on and they werent even looking at anything in particular but if that is the type of aggressive attitude/stance they are going to adopt when nothing is going on then they were obviously looking to justify their overtime.

The guards may have over-reacted but had to have something to react to???
    Simply not the case, not one steward or guard was attacked so what right did they have to attack bohs fans with pepper spray and batons?

At least 1 or 2 of the buses who had victims of the gardai assault went home following the incident in disgust and didnt wait for the second half, they called everyone else on their bus from the stand to go home and not one of them complained when they saw what had happened.
    After the initial spraying of pepper spray (about 3 or 4 minutes after) the injured were still bent over double and a guard strolled back in through the gate with a grin on his face and started to spray everyone again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by topia View Post
    The guards may have over-reacted but had to have something to react to???
    Simply not the case, not one steward or guard was attacked so what right did they have to attack bohs fans with pepper spray and batons?
    I can't wait for the court case and the subsequent sacking of the guards involved.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Yes. Because the Gardaí are noted for their accountability and transparency.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

17. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I can't wait for the court case and the subsequent sacking of the guards involved.
    LOL - in Ireland!?!?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts

The Longford officials didn't tell the guards anything really, they were dictated to by the guards and also the FAI from what I'm told. They were the ones "handling" the Bohs section. I don't know if Bohs briefed them on anything beyond identifying the people that were banned on the night.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebleds View Post

does everyone anti rabbi injections if they play BOHS.
    Lets leave the jews out of this !!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    LOL - in Ireland!?!?
    LOL...I would have agreed until this year. A few have been sacked for various offences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    A number of people saying fans were denied medical attention after pepper spray attack but medical treatment is not required after pepper spray

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,265 Posts
    Depends what you consider "medical attention". Assuming it'e the same stuff as CS spray, its treatment is covered in the current St John Ambulance First Aid book and includes fanning the eyes to evaporate the spray quicker, and also to urge the casualty not to rub their eyes - a very natural response in the circumstances, I think - as this will make things worse. Not exactly the stuff of ER, but stuff the layman mightn't know and which might very much inconvenience the patient if, say, the First Aiders on duty couldn't get to the patient.

(And I obviously wasn't at the game, so don't know to what extent medical attention was or wasn't denied)

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast