Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE Presenter Banned by the FAI

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

RTE Presenter Banned by the FAI

About time the FAI grew a pair and held these boys to account over thier reporting of FAI affairs. Sick of every news piece having a negative slant put on it by these died in the wool GAH heads. Last night on RTE Radio 1 a report on both Europa League games involving LOI clubs was reported after an under-19 cricket world cup qualifying match.

http://www.thescore.ie/no-further-qu...89108-Jul2011/
    "It's not the despair; I can handle the despair. It's the hope I can't stand." John Cleese on supporting a LOI club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Was he not banned for asking Delaney about his salary , its a fair question i think.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Des may be a GAA fan, he's also a major sports fan, and as well as following LOI, he's a West Ham fan (remember his jousts with that legendary Man U fan Pat Kenny?). He has asked some hard questions (in nice ways) of a number of figures, however the FAI are not to be questioned or doubted, we all have to shut up and respect them. Funny how one Louth journalist hasn't gotten the same treatment yet he's written and said far worse about the FAI and Mr. Delaney (yet with an O'Reilly backed agenda).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    This won't win the FAI any friends in the media, and will ultimately be pretty counter-productive. Unless this lad was dishing out personal abuse, the FAI are being immature at best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Anybody who questioned Delaney in the FAI were disposed of fairly quickly. Now he wants to take on the journalists who asked a VERY relevant question. How come someone who presides over a tin pot organisation, which is run, mostly by volunteers, can justify paying HIMSELF more than the Taoiseach. Its obscene. can't believe he is getting away with this. Another sickening chapter in our country's social history.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Anybody who questioned Delaney in the FAI were disposed of fairly quickly. Now he wants to take on the journalists who asked a VERY relevant question. How come someone who presides over a tin pot organisation, which is run, mostly by volunteers, can justify paying HIMSELF more than the Taoiseach. Its obscene. can't believe he is getting away with this. Another sickening chapter in our country's social history.
    Twice as much i believe.It realy is a shockingly high salary and well worth having a dig at it on a national forum such as RTE.
    Last edited by bullit; 30/07/2011 at 12:32 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    The FAI seem to think they can do what they want, even if Delaney went one of his stupid chums would replace him, whole organisation needs to be changed.
    Last edited by Quadruple1928; 30/07/2011 at 2:25 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    There was a damning article yesterday in the Indo (no guesses as to who wrote it) which pointed out the sheer hypocrisy in the FAI and the obvious and shameful waste of money. You have a failed businessman parachuted in as a legacy office holder, getting revenge on those who sold out his Daddy, and yet he takes home a pay packet that he could never make in the private sector due to his sheer ineptitude and inability to lead. Yet I don't see this particular journo being singled out for such action. However nobody, and I mean nobody, in football is going to stand up and be counted as they're all happily earning and blazering their way along! The capitulation of the clubs in allowing the LOI come again under the FAI's "guidance" is a case in point, and worse, the media and clubs trundled along in tow when JD and co cut prizemoney because they wanted to cover the costs of a court case with a club over a very, very odd deal done with Endemol. It's more than a joke at this stage.

9. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Failed business man? I always thought Delaney had been quite successful.

More on this here: http://www.independent.ie/national-n...e-2835679.html

Not about the salary according to FAI. Show is taken down from RTE player.
    Last edited by Mr A; 30/07/2011 at 8:45 AM.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Mr A, do a little background checking on the man and see what he did as a businessman, it's not pretty.

RTE, as a public service broadcaster, cannot blank the FAI, though it no remains to be seen if the media will go after Delaney and his cronies the way they did after others from the FAI who transgressed.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    the FAI are just embarressing themselves at this stage and are showing what a petty little organisation they are! anyone involved in sport in this little country is entitled to question the FAI's finances and delaneys wage packet!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It probably will only make matters worse with regards to FAI/media relations but I feel that it's about time that the FAI challenged these guys on the way they report Irish football related news. Every news article has a negative slant put on it. The report in yesterdays Indo is a case in point. I don't think thats it's excessive to send three members of the board to Rio for the World Cup draw. It's a massive draw and where we need a presence. If the FAI had only sent 1 or 2 people it would have been reported that they were strapped for cash or how amature they look in comparision to other nations. They really are in a no win situation. Every article that journalist has written since he got a smack on the wrist for the FAI has had a negative spin put on it. Do other sporting organisations in this country get the same amount of scrutiny applied to their affairs? I dont think so
    If they FAI are doing such a terrible job I hope they keep it up,
    Senior team joint top of their qualifying group with a top international manager in charge,
    Under 21's with an ex LOI manager in charge,
    Under 19's making a semi final of a European competition beating Italy on the way there with another ex LOI manager in charge,
    New stadium,
    One LOI club in with a shout of a Champions League play-off place
    Same club guarenteed Europa League play-off spot
    Another club in with a chance of making the Europa League play-offs
    Improved UEFA co-efficient
    Most people see this as being in spite of the FAI but surely they must take a large amount of credit for this
    "It's not the despair; I can handle the despair. It's the hope I can't stand." John Cleese on supporting a LOI club.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestexile View Post
    It probably will only make matters worse with regards to FAI/media relations but I feel that it's about time that the FAI challenged these guys on the way they report Irish football related news. Every news article has a negative slant put on it. The report in yesterdays Indo is a case in point. I don't think thats it's excessive to send three members of the board to Rio for the World Cup draw. It's a massive draw and where we need a presence. If the FAI had only sent 1 or 2 people it would have been reported that they were strapped for cash or how amature they look in comparision to other nations. They really are in a no win situation. Every article that journalist has written since he got a smack on the wrist for the FAI has had a negative spin put on it. Do other sporting organisations in this country get the same amount of scrutiny applied to their affairs? I dont think so
    Senior team joint top of their qualifying group with a top international manager in charge,
    Under 19's making a semi final of a European competition beating Italy on the way there with another ex LOI manager in charge,
    New stadium,
    Most people see this as being in spite of the FAI but surely they must take a large amount of credit for this

Yes, all these things are terrible, and need addressing by the FAI, but banning one journalist for asking what seem to be legitimate questions about Delaney's salary is not the way to go about it. The FAI do have a significant bargaining chip at their disposal in the national side, and have used this to good effect in getting MNS and live LOI on the air, but I think they could still use it more. I'm sure the agreement with RTÉ over international rights could stretch to coverage of LOI games in Europe, and a certain amount of advertising for the league on relevant sporting programmes, such as The Premiership.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    New stadium,

How do they deserve any credit at all for these?

Its the clubs that deserve the credit for that certainly not the FAI.

17. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Peadar1987
    It's the point that is being made that is important for me. Banning one won't make a difference in isolation but standing their ground on issues like these will over time.
    Bluewhitearmy
    It doesn't matter how you look at it the FAI deserve credit for LOI clubs improvement in European competition. If you put it down to the change to summer football thats because of the FAI or if you put it down to the improved professionalism of clubs off the field in terms of admin and back up staff then that is also down to the FAI through the club licensing process.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Peadar1987
    It's the point that is being made that is important for me. Banning one won't make a difference in isolation but standing their ground on issues like these will over time.
    Bluewhitearmy
    It doesn't matter how you look at it the FAI deserve credit for LOI clubs improvement in European competition. If you put it down to the change to summer football thats because of the FAI or if you put it down to the improved professionalism of clubs off the field in terms of admin and back up staff then that is also down to the FAI through the club licensing process.
    What is the issue though? You seem a little confused.

Now I normally try and give the fai the benefit of the doubt, if there's some kind of rational way of explaining whatever questionable thing they've done.

But there are legitimate questions to be asked here, and this comes across as petty in the extreme. It's not as if he's even their fiercest critic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Peadar1987
    Bluewhitearmy
    They dont deserve credit for the clubs work at all in my opinion the clubs should get 100% credit....The licensing process is a joke too but thats a different story.

Whats your problem with the journalist by the way surely its his job to ask relevant questions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Peadar1987
    But it seems like the FAI aren't blacklisting this journalist because of a general bias against the LOI in the media, it's more like they're refusing to talk to him because he made a legitimate criticism of the organisation. If the FAI were restricting access to the Ireland team, and explicitly stated it was because of the media's refusal to broadcast, or even acknowledge the exploits of domestic clubs at home and in Europe, that would be a different matter entirely, and I'd probably agree with you.

If this blacklisting was something to do with the lack of media coverage of the league, the FAI would almost certainly have said so. It doesn't make sense to try and make a statement to the media without actually telling the media what you're doing!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    northwestexile do you work in the pr department of the FAI?? how can that sham of an organisation be praised for loi clubs doing well when they dont care about the national league?

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by athloneman View Post
    northwestexile do you work in the pr department of the FAI?? how can that sham of an organisation be praised for loi clubs doing well when they dont care about the national league?
    The point is DES Cahill has a boner about the fai or at lease John Delaney , I've never heard him ask anybody in the gaa about under the counter payments to managers

25. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast