Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setantas new sports channel...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Setantas new sports channel...

Copied and pastes from the Ultras messageboard so I've no idea where it came from originally......

NTL MEDIA RELEASE
    16th June 2004

Setanta launch Ireland’s first dedicated Sports Channel – Setanta Sports
    All ntl customers to receive channel

· Fifth Irish Television Channel to be launched in history of the state
    · Live matches from the English & Scottish Premier Leagues
    · Exclusive live rights for Rugby’s Celtic League
    · Over 340,000 ntl customers to receive Setanta Sports from August 2004

Setanta today announced the launch of Ireland’s first dedicated sports channel, which will be
    available from August 2004 and will broadcast to over 340,000 ntl customers as part of its
    basic television package.

The new channel, called Setanta Sports, will broadcast live coverage of the English
    Premiership, Scottish Premier League and will also have exclusive live rights to Rugby’s
    Celtic League. More sports content will be added to the schedule and will be announced in due
    course.

Setanta Sports will initially start broadcasting on a weekend basis in August in time for the
    launch of the new sporting season. From January 2005, Setanta Sports will extend its
    broadcast hours to include programming from Monday – Sunday inclusive.

Niall Cogley, Chief Executive, Setanta Sports said: “This new channel is a significant step
    in the Irish broadcast market place. In a relatively short-time Setanta has acquired the
    rights to top class sports programming, which has a direct relevance and appeal to a wide
    audience in Ireland. Setanta has built up a significant broadcasting business over the last
    14 years and looks forward to building on that with the launch of Setanta Sports. Our
    partnership with ntl Ireland will enable us to deliver this unique channel to over 340,000
    ntl homes.”

Today’s announcement establishes Setanta Sports, as Ireland’s fifth national channel, the
    first indigenous Irish channel to enter the marketplace since the launch of TV3 in September

Mark Mohan, Sales & Marketing Director of ntl Ireland said: “This is a landmark day for the
    broadcasting industry in Ireland. We are certain that Setanta Sports will be essential
    viewing for Irish sporting fans. Today’s announcement enables our customers to benefit from
    even more choice, confirming our commitment to deliver the best value from Ireland’s local
    and trusted multichannel television operator.”

NOTE TO EDITORS

Setanta Sports

Setanta Sport is a world leader in providing premium sporting content through a number of
    formats including closed circuit broadcasting, pay-per-view sporting events, online and
    mobile telephony. The company operates through a number of distinct divisions, Setanta
    Broadcasting, Setanta Media, Setanta Television and Setanta Screens.

Setanta Broadcasting is a significant force in acquiring international media rights and has
    exclusive rights to the Scottish Premier League along with a number of other exclusive
    sporting rights throughout the globe. It is also the world’s largest closed-circuit
    broadcaster.

Setanta Media holds significant stakes in the franchises for some of Ireland’s newest radio
    stations namely, Dublin’s Newstalk 106 and KCLR from Kilkenny/Carlow. It also has significant
    new media interests and operates Ireland’s leading sports Web site www.setanta.com and
    provides a range of premium sporting services through SMS to Vodafone. The vision’s
    publishing arm also compiles a range of acclaimed sporting magazines.

Setanta Television produces over 200 hours of television annually and produces sporting
    programmes for national broadcasters. Setanta Screens is Ireland’s largest provider of big
    screens for sporting and entertainment events.

----------------------------------------------------------

This could be a big oppurtunity for the league. Here's a link to the contacts part of their webpage, here I think everyone here should send an E-mail or get in touch somehow and try and convince them to show EL matches. The ratings of last years matches on RTE beating that of their CL coverage, things like that should be mentioned. If we can convince them there's a market for the EL out there and that Setanta could get a nice little niche for themselves if they promote it with highlights and a decent amount of live games there's a good chance they could show it, afterall the channels only starting up so they'll be looking for things to show at the moment (see the bit in bold). Get in touch lads, it can't do any harm. Now's the time.

Sheridan
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Get in touch lads, it can't do any harm. Now's the time.
    Good idea, but look:

Niall Cogley, Chief Executive, Setanta Sports

No chance

techs
    Setanta.com used to cover league games years ago but had problems with the fai and therefore stopped covering them..It was a great service for anyone on the net and they were more reliable than RTE,updates were nearly always spot on.They covered both divisions and had a report on each game..Since the fall out with the fai they never really mentioned domestic soccer,which was sad..

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan
    Niall Cogley, Chief Executive, Setanta Sports
    Exactly, mail campaigns didn't work on him before.

Interesting to see they got Celtic League Rugby rights now that Cogley (Rugby preference) is the Head there.

I'm guessing it can't be 100% pay per view as no ones gonna be paying for Celtic League Rugby. Setanat are clearly going to target the GAA matches which means either RTE will have to spend more to get them or will have more left to spend on other sports when they lose them.

IMO the future of irish sports broadcasting would probably be less exclusive rights i.e. RTE may show big GAA matches but Setanta for example would pick up some of those lesser qualifiers. May also be opportunitoes like that for the eL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Interesting to see they got Celtic League Rugby rights now that Cogley (Rugby preference) is the Head there
    but that IMO is great news, now TG4 will have a friday night slot to fill, and we know they do decent coverage
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    but that IMO is great news, now TG4 will have a friday night slot to fill, and we know they do decent coverage
    This is the main point here.
    The FAI should already be in talks with TG4.
    TG4 could do a really decent program, with a live game and a proper highlights show each week. If it gets the viewing figures, the main RTE channels or other channels would be interested.
    It's really up to Rooney to show his interest in the league and to push the eL.
    He has a chance to get some proper and serious coverage for the league, and the chance to build an audience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    This is the main point here.
    The FAI should already be in talks with TG4.
    TG4 could do a really decent program, with a live game and a proper highlights show each week. If it gets the viewing figures, the main RTE channels or other channels would be interested.
    It's really up to Rooney to show his interest in the league and to push the eL.
    He has a chance to get some proper and serious coverage for the league, and the chance to build an audience.
    Excellent point there lads, but is Setantas coverage of the Celtic League exclusive? If so, it's a definite oppurtunity for the league to get in discussions with TG4 who will have a slot to fill. Imo they should be talking to both Setanta and TG4 to see if they can get any kind of deal between them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Heard Niall Cogley last night on Newstalk. 15 live Premiership matches at 3 oc on Saturday, RTE to broadcast premiership matches on alternative Saturdays, and it will be the top match of that particular day. Sentanta are also showing over 40 SPL matches live and the Celtic League. The service will be free of charge to all NTL Ireland Subscribers. And the catch … there doesn't seem to be any. I presume they will make their money through advertising. I'm sure the EL and Irish League must be fuming. I know certain pubs showed matches on Saturday illegally over the past couple of seasons but now practially everyone will have access.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    showed matches on Saturday illegally
    How was it illegal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    This guy in Ballymun used to hack into some foreign stations. The publicans used to pay him to set things up for them. There was a german commentary which was turned down.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Most of the pubs i've visited use what i thought was Astra satellite dish to pick up usually norwegian or Turkish TV signals who have roghts to the game.

If they have rights to show the game, and you pay to have the rights to show their channels in your pub, then it's not illegal is it??

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    Most of the pubs i've visited use what i thought was Astra satellite dish to pick up usually norwegian or Turkish TV signals who have roghts to the game.

If they have rights to show the game, and you pay to have the rights to show their channels in your pub, then it's not illegal is it??
    Not sure of technicalities, but I know they were trying to do the pubs in England for broadcasting it. There's a few foreign channels that have all the sky games, plus a Saturday afternoon game, free to air. You just need a big enough dish to receive them.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    I'm sure the EL and Irish League must be fuming.
    I thought the Irish League was threatening to go to court to block this, particularly with the RTE overlap?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Someone from the Bohs MB mailed Setanta, and got an answer here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Thumbs up

top class.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Will this be on Sky Digital as well?
    We get Setanta PPV1 and PPV2 , I'm guessing these are different.....
    They showed Hurling and Gaelic football last season which was grand because living in England we don't normally get Gaelic games.
    Anyway I saved up my £50 for a Gaelic season ticket on there nly to find they don't seem to be shwoing them this season
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liam88
    Will this be on Sky Digital as well?
    Here's hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by liam88
    They showed Hurling and Gaelic football last season which was grand because living in England we don't normally get Gaelic games.
    Anyway I saved up my £50 for a Gaelic season ticket on there nly to find they don't seem to be shwoing them this season
    I think they are. Take a look at their site (setanta.com) go on GAA and schedules.They're doing th MSHC Final on 27th AFAIK.
    Sky Sports are showing 'Gaelic Games' at the mo too. On tonight at eight in fact. VEry good, slightly Ulster dominated though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's brilliant news, lets just keep hopeing I suppose. No doubt the FAI will consipire to **** it up but with a bit of luck this could be a real fantastic development for the league.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cogley was on the Last Word today. I sent a text, and others too I'd say, about showing eL.
    Cogley said something along the lines that they are looking at different sources for content and would certainly be looking at the eL.
    Some hope there at least, but he did say Celtic league was an exclusive rights deal, so TG4 looks like it might have an opening on Friday nights....

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Setanta's new sports channel

I think TG4 is the way forward. Apart from anything else they used to cover Spanish soccer and have experience of covering the game if not the EL.

And besides we might get some chants as Gaeilge on the terrace over the years... mar shampla

Dha nad do na buachailli / dha nad do na buachailli

Anyway after cuig seasur le TG4 we will all be speaking Gaeilge while the GAA followers will be speaking English.... oh the ironic possibilties of us so called "foreign game" followers being more fluent than the bogball fraternity in the official teanga .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast