Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Italy V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 7th June 2011 - Friendly - Liege

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    The team-spirit we currently have is a joy to behold. A serious amount of absolute stalwarts on this team now. I've fallen hard in love with Stephen Hunt. I love the way he laughs and smiles when he gets involved with the ref or the opposition, he's a gas character.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    watching it on TG4. Jaysus Seán Bán Breathnach could sound a bit more excited about Andrews' goal
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Seán Bán Breathnach commentating on TG4 just sounds weird....

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    A lesson tonight for the "tired" lads about pride in the jersey. Fantastic committment and organisation from all Invilved. This end of season get together over the last few weeks could be the making of this irish squad
    Its really not that complicated!!!

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French Toasht View Post
    Not only does Cox almost do a Phil Babb with the goal posts, watch at 1.17, where one of the Ireland coaches cracks his head whilst celebrating the goal in the dug out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFa31...embedded#at=79
    1:19 Hunt kicks Cox.

Also at previously I made a comment about the defense being like the red arrows display team, now
    take a look at 0.09 may just be pure coincidence but it looks like there are in some sort of formation there?
    You only catch a glimpse of it but it looks like a formation with 5 players equal spaced in a V or a circle
    and Andrews at the head of it.
    Probably just me going nuts though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    did anyone else notice, at half time, Tardelli turned and shook Trapattoni's hand, but he was sat in the dug out and just shook it calmly?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Very good result considering the team we had out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    I think Trap was remaining calm out of respect to his homeland which to me is a positive mark of the man. When a player scores against his old club and doesn't celebrate he is commended, Trap should be too for his composure. As the commentator on Sky said, he was probably doing cartwheels inside as on top of everything else, it keeps his status amongst the Italian media as a Legend. Italy havent defeated Ireland under Trap in 3 outings, that's a commendable statistic for any manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Just back from Liege, dry but not sure how.

Fair play to the side tonight - our lads made a great effort to entertain the few hundred Irish instead of the lazy Itialians who didn't try at all for the 20,000 that showed up. Thought St. Ledger was excellent, but all our defenders were comfortable throughout. Even Paul "Messi" McShane looked good at times. Very compact all over the pitch which is something I haven't seen before - makes the Russia performance all the more puzzling - if we can maintain this spirit and a bit of luck with injuries, no reason why we could not top the group.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    OK, I'll start with the negatives.

Passing & ball retention. Flippin' awful.

Foley looked lost I thought.

But that's all.

The positives:

Hunt.

We are very solid without the ball.

We have credible back up in most positions. The less appreciated players like O'Dea and McShane both did pretty well, and Ward did fine tonight.

For years we have been lacking in character and leadership. This team, without Dunne, Given, Robbie and Doyle - all strong characters - had real bottle about them. Sleeves up, stuck in, concentrated, disciplined, organised and committed. A team fill of winners and full of personality.

2 more goals. I don't know how we do it, but this team has goals in it.

The result doesn't count for a whole lot, but the last 2 weeks has seen game time and new caps for important fringe players, a great bonding exercise and a great confidence booster.

Hunt again.

I'm well chuffed. I agree with PO'S that qualification is the yardstick but right now I've a lot of belief in Trap.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 07/06/2011 at 11:03 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Not to tempt fate, but would this be our first away win against higher ranked opposition in God knows how long?
    Depends how long "God knows how long" is. Amsterdam 2004? Denmark 2007?

Quote Originally Posted by ken foree View Post
    Celtinaccio?
    Patenaccio? (an old Stuttgart joke re-hashed)

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Is the current forward roster the best we've ever had - in terms of strength in depth? OK, so the likes of Quinn, Stapleton, Aldo etc. were all greats, but they weren't all at their peak at the same time. Put another way, are our 5th and 6th best forwards the best 5th and 6th best we've ever had? You know what I mean...

Robbie
    Doyle
    Long
    Cox
    Walters
    Best

Then Hunt, Keogh, Murphy. Sammon too. Cheerio Stokes.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 08/06/2011 at 8:22 AM. Reason: forgot Conor Sammon

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Just as a matter of interest , was Noel hunt injured or just not selected ?
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Just not selected in the squad.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Avoided the score all afternoon here in New York and just watched the whole thing on TG4. Glad to say I had a little touch on Ireland to win at 4/1.

Despite lots of people claiming these matches were meaningless it has been one of the most beneficial two weeks I can remember. Apart from the crucial 3 points on Saturday we managed 4 clean sheets and opportunities for most of the squad to get matches under their belt. This will all stand to us in September.

Sean Ban Breathnach is clueless but did find a few new players - Chris Andrews, Steven Cox, Simon Treacy!!!! What's the Irish for muppet?
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Just back from Liege, dry but not sure how.
    The camera picked out one of the Irish fans wearing a black teeshirt with Real Ale in bold type.

Sin Sin, I really enjoyed that. Has to be one of the best performances in a friendly.
    I thought our passing was better than saturday. I'd say we hit the highest nr of completed passes made in ages.
    Sean Ban's commentary - names and pronunciation were incidental.
    Very pleased with the effort of Keogh, more so in the 1st half. McShane, the droch passes aside, did well. Coleman just grew into the game especially 2nd half. Forde had a very solid game, sucked every last second from his kick outs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Excellent performance. Nothing more to be said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    Avoided the score all afternoon here in New York and just watched the whole thing on TG4. Glad to say I had a little touch on Ireland to win at 4/1.

Despite lots of people claiming these matches were meaningless it has been one of the most beneficial two weeks I can remember. Apart from the crucial 3 points on Saturday we managed 4 clean sheets and opportunities for most of the squad to get matches under their belt. This will all stand to us in September.

Sean Ban Breathnach is clueless but did find a few new players - Chris Andrews, Steven Cox, Simon Treacy!!!! What's the Irish for muppet?
    Muipéad!
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Not selected, scored in the play off final though.

I follow him on twitter, daft as a brush!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    few people saying the Italian team were sub par or weakened
    Baring this in mind I had a look at how each player did this season at club level, taking in stats from wikipedia and soccernet
    Code:
    Name                 Age    Caps  Club              2010/2011   Appearances/goals*
    Emiliano Viviano      25       6  Bologna     16th in Serie A**          40/0
    Alessandro Gamberini  29       8  Fiorentina   9th in Serie A            35/1
    Giorgio Chiellini     26      42  Juventus     7th in Serie A            49/4
    Domenico Criscito     24      15  Genoa       10th in Serie A            42/0
    Mattia Cassani        27       8  Palermo      8th in Serie A            47/0
    Andrea Pirlo          32      74  AC Milan     1st in Serie A            33/2
    Claudio Marchisio     25      13  Juventus     7th in Serie A            37/4        
    Antonio Nocerino      26       5  Palermo      8th in Serie A            38/4                
    Riccardo Montolivo    26      24  Fiorentina   9th in Serie A            37/2
    Giampaolo Pazzini     26      18  Inter        2nd in Serie A            40/12        
    Giuseppe Rossi        24      23  Villareal    4th in La Liga            57/32        

Subs
    Federico Balzaretti   29       4  Palermo      8th in Serie A            43/2
    Angelo Palombo        29      22  Sampdoria   18th in Serie A            46/1        
    Alberto Gilardino     28      47  Fiorentina   9th in Serie A            41/13
    Alessandro Matri      26       2  Juventus     7th in Serie A            38/20
    Sebastian Giovinco    24       4  Parma       12th in Serie A            30/7    

*including international appearances
    **would have been 14th     deducted 3 points this season
    Compared to a full strength team, yes they were lacking, but if we had any player with over 30 games in Serie A they'd be straight into the first team, no question

24. Thanks From:

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast