Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Northern Ireland - Tuesday, 24th May 2011 - Carling Nations Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I know the flag has no official constitutional status but I'd imagine it's registered as the IFA's flag with FIFA. I have the address of CAS here though, if you'd like?...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Why is it the 'Ulster Banner' ??

Whatever it is, the North can hardly be referred to as 'Ulster'....
    I agree. Never liked them calling themselves Ulster when 1/3 of Ulster is in the Republic.

But by that reckoning also, we shouldn't call ourselves Ireland when 1/5 is under British rule and not being represented in our football team.....oh...wait........
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Why is it the 'Ulster Banner' ??

Whatever it is, the North can hardly be referred to as 'Ulster'....
    That's just what it's called. I have no control over these things. Not yet anyway. You will note the 'partial' my friend.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    That's just what it's called. I have no control over these things. Not yet anyway. You will note the 'partial' my friend.
    Ah, it's the title we're questioning? Well, certainly; I suppose I should have learned my lesson that night I got stranded in Muff waiting for an Ulsterbus to Derry!

It's just a name, after all, even if deceptive, but I can of course decapitalise or add quote marks in future to subvert any ounce of legitimacy.

In seriousness though, the continued reference to NI as "Ulster" by unionists is something that has always puzzled me. There were formal proposals in the past to adopt it as the official title of NI, but they never came to pass for reasons that might well have included, you know, Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan. On the other hand, I suppose unionists would object to the southern state being referred to as "Ireland" but the name of the southern state is at least rooted in a former constitutional claim over the entire territory of the island and a residual desire or long-term aspiration to see the cessation of partition. Have unionists ever claimed that the entirety of Ulster ought to be under British jurisdiction? If anything, wasn't it the idea to exclude Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan as their inclusion would have compromised the unionist majority within the six counties chosen to form the new entity?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    It just illustrates their arrogance on the issue....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I see Paddy McCourt got married at the weekend there: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-norther...-west-13746717

Was the reason given for his being unable to play for NI in the Carling Nations Cup - three weeks ago - not his wedding though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    It might well be what people call it. But it isn't what it is called. It has no official name as far as I'm aware, but the most accurate name would probably be something along the lines of the "Flag of the Government of Northern Ireland (1953-1972)".

Given the record of that institution, that's what I will be calling the flag. This "Ulster Banner" line is at best a revisionist attempt to decontaminate that flag from the record if the institution it represents.

There is a similarity here with the rebranding of the flag of the flag of the Confederate States of America as the "Dixie Flag". In my opinion Northern Ireland would be better following the example of South Africa and adopting a new flag. The Flag of the Government of Northern Ireland will only ever represent the gerrymandering and discrimination that were the legacy of that regime. It is a disgrace that FIFA, or any sporting body, allow it to be flown at an international fixture.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Bumping thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Closed thread.