Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Northern Ireland - Tuesday, 24th May 2011 - Carling Nations Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    How can Enda Brady of Sky Sports know what's going on with McCarthy but not Giovanni Trapattoni?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I noticed that myself - guess it applies equally to players who are now 'dead' to Trap (the Reid's, Stokes probably...).
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Well it is just the North we are playing, I'd probably find it hard to muster up enthusiasm to work the remote tomorrow.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    As part of the "special buzz", Paul Gilmore of BBC Sport NI has written a piece on where the players who played in the 1999 fixture are now: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13512608.stm

Given and Keane are the only two survivors from our side. Duff played then too, but obviously he's out this time with injury.
    From the 'article':

TONY CASCARINO
    Born in Kent, he qualified for Ireland through a distant relative. The FAI were forced to deny claims from Cascarino in 2000 that the relative was not from Ireland and he therefore did not qualify for the nation he went on to play 88 times for. Is now working as a media pundit.

Where do they get them from...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Sure enough. Paul Gilmore must have heard that through a game of Chinese Whispers.

Cascarino described himself as a "fraud" and a "fake Irishman" in his autobiography. I suspect he was either playing dumb or using what you might call artistic licence to cause a bit of controversy and boost sales. The reality was that his English-born mother, who had no Irish heritage by birth, was adopted by an Irishman; this man being Cascarino's grandfather. It meant Cascarino had no "Irish blood", or whatever you'd call it, as his grandfather was not a blood relative, but he was still perfectly eligible to play for us as his mother's adoption entitled her to Irish nationality.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Surprised there was no Obama in the line up.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I see NI legend and OWC fan's favourite, Neil Lennon, played for the North in 1999.

Gilmore does lose the run of himself when he claims "However, there is always a special buzz when these rivals go head to head"
    This game has even less buzz than those tame rugby international trial games from olden days, The Probables V The Possibles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    I was pretty confident of us winning the game prior to the naming of the teams but now less so. Granted NI will have a lot of kids on display but the spine of their team has plenty of experience at international level. We're starting with a new central defensive partnership and the spine of our team is lacking match fitness; Given, Kelly, Andrews and Keane. I'm hoping Fahey makes the starting line-up, not too sure who I favour between Coleman and Lawrence. I'd imagine Coleman would get a lot of joy down the NI wings but with McShane at RB perhaps Lawrence is needed in the team to protect him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I'm with the Trap on this one. Ok the tournament timing is completely insane but the players will be off for 5 weeks after the Macedonia game. Hop on a plain, train for two hours, listen to the Trap waffle on about character and then get a run out against the North for 30 minutes. It's hardly working down the pit is it?

McCarthy not answering his phone? Lads that age will be glued to his iphone. That surely has to be BS.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I didn't realise Leon Best played for Newcastle on Sunday. Trap's quotes in the IT about football not being a real job, but fun, ring true with me. Not responding to Trap's texts (Folan, Best were named as past offenders) is both arrogant and ignorant. Unless Trap was texting in Italian. Footballers need to cop themselves on.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I've just seen the McCarthy thread. He was on the lash.........he has probably lost his iphone!
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Just over 200 NI fans expected? Jesus that is poor. I was hoping this game could give the tournament some life...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    What drama are you referring to? Much of it is media-manufactured.
    Ah, there's been a year of McCarthy based drama, regardless of who manufactured it. I mean the "tired" thing last year wasn't manufactured by the media. I've a pain in me face with it at this stage... Too many misunderstandings, lost correspondance, media influenced drama, interference from Club manager... All around one player?? It's too often to be coincidence.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Ah, there's been a year of McCarthy based drama, regardless of who manufactured it.
    I'd be of the opinion that it's essential to decipher and distinguish who manufactured the drama; be it McCarthy himself or elements in the media trying to stir a good story from basically nothing. If McCarthy is the root cause of the drama, then fair enough, your concern is justified. If the media has manufactured something, however, it would be wrong to indict McCarthy. That should be fairly obvious.

I mean the "tired" thing last year wasn't manufactured by the media.
    No, McCarthy pulled out of the Wales game due to fitness concerns as he was only coming back from an ankle ligament injury that had kept him out for three months. He'd yet to complete a full 90 minutes with Wigan who were still worried and felt the lad needed further treatment. That was a valid reason and was accepted by the FAI and Trap as such; rightly so. The media, from this and a dumb comment from Martinez probably rooted in Martinez' own wish to have McCarthy put international football to the back of his mind for the meantime as struggling Wigan desperately needed him back to full fitness, decided to question McCarthy's loyalty to the Irish cause and began to send fans into a bit of a snowballing panic by suggesting that McCarthy might have pulled out in order to have a rethink on his international future and consider Scotland as an option. This was all in spite of everything coming from McCarthy himself, his family and agent reiterating his allegiance to Ireland. He'd even already represented us at senior level in a friendly game against Brazil. To be honest, I think the episode was an insult to a player who'd faced torrents of abuse from begrudging fans in Scotland unhappy at his choice to play for Ireland whilst at Hamilton, but still he persisted and stuck it out with us. His commitment had never been in question until the media saw the chance to manufacture a juicy story out of a non-issue.

I've a pain in me face with it at this stage... Too many misunderstandings, lost correspondance, media influenced drama, interference from Club manager... All around one player?? It's too often to be coincidence.
    What I've mentioned above was one instance of "drama". I've pointed out how it was manufactured completely by the media. The current no-show is another instance, although the full details have yet to emerge. Last I heard, however, the FAI had been contacted on Sunday so the ****-up appears to have been at their end. If that is the case, we can discount this episode as having not been the fault of McCarthy as well. What other instances are giving you face-pains specifically?
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 24/05/2011 at 12:25 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    McCarthy's totally over-rated anyway. If he plays in any game, let's hope it's v.Macedonia when he might be of some use, but don't get this 'great white hope' label he's somehow been given.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    McCarthy's totally over-rated anyway. If he plays in any game, let's hope it's v.Macedonia when he might be of some use, but don't get this 'great white hope' label he's somehow been given.
    Great ginger hope, surely?

Apparently, chances of him making Macedonia are slim.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    In your opinion he's totally over-rated and yet you hope he plays against Macedonia.

AB, we should throw you away to the OWC wolves.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quick question, can you buy tickets at the stadium or is it online Ticketmaster only? Cheers

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    There'll be loads of spares floating around.....all at less than cost price, or they should be.

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    In your opinion he's totally over-rated and yet you hope he plays against Macedonia.

AB, we should throw you away to the OWC wolves.
    Hardly. If he's any good, there's a real chance to prove himself. And don't think the rest applies, somehow!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast