Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Will Keane F Preston North End b.1993

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    One of the things Kenny probably got right was bringing him in. Wasn't bad at spotting the players, just very poor at setting them up.

If you were picking a team on form it'd be Keane and Sammie Smo up front? Ogbene at RWB.
    How about Keane and Ferguson with Ogbene and Mikey Johnston as attacking wingers

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I think Ferguson starts ahead of keane
    Even if he is having a dip in form

Sammie sz defo starts
    Here's a wildly unpopular take for you of a bank holiday - I'm not sure we should be relying on Ferguson at this stage. He's 19 and still learning his trade. He's had a serious upward trajectory, similar to Bazunu, from LoI at 15 to EPL at 19/20. He's struggling now because of it but he's a striker so he can be rotated and have bad games and all the stuff a keeper can't. It's worth it for Brighton to keep giving him minutes because they have other options and they know what they have on their hands in Evan. He will be a world class striker.

Is he our most talented option? Yep. Is he ready to put the nation on his back and lead the line for a very poor team with no creativity behind him? I'm not sure. McGoldrick could do that but he was a savvy operator who knew when to drop deep and when to push on. Ferguson is still learning how to play with Brighton and that's a hugely different animal to Ireland. He's scored goals for us but I don't think he's really led the line well yet. He's looked a bit lost during games and that's fair enough. He's 19.

I'm not saying Keane or anyone else is better or should start ahead of Ferguson, but we need to find another 1 or 2 players who can take the pressure off and we have two banging the goals in at Championship level. 2 that haven't had a chance really or at all. It'd be worth seeing if they can play together and do a job.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Here's a wildly unpopular take for you of a bank holiday - I'm not sure we should be relying on Ferguson at this stage. He's 19 and still learning his trade. He's had a serious upward trajectory, similar to Bazunu, from LoI at 15 to EPL at 19/20. He's struggling now because of it but he's a striker so he can be rotated and have bad games and all the stuff a keeper can't. It's worth it for Brighton to keep giving him minutes because they have other options and they know what they have on their hands in Evan. He will be a world class striker.

Is he our most talented option? Yep. Is he ready to put the nation on his back and lead the line for a very poor team with no creativity behind him? I'm not sure. McGoldrick could do that but he was a savvy operator who knew when to drop deep and when to push on. Ferguson is still learning how to play with Brighton and that's a hugely different animal to Ireland. He's scored goals for us but I don't think he's really led the line well yet. He's looked a bit lost during games and that's fair enough. He's 19.

I'm not saying Keane or anyone else is better or should start ahead of Ferguson, but we need to find another 1 or 2 players who can take the pressure off and we have two banging the goals in at Championship level. 2 that haven't had a chance really or at all. It'd be worth seeing if they can play together and do a job.
    You're spot on about Ferguson. He was hyped way too much. He's still learning his trade in a cut throat business, and by this time next year he could be playing Championship football. His currency is goals and right now he's not doing well at all. Indeed I don't remember him even getting a goal scoring opportunity in the last few games while Joao Pedro is tearing it up. Hopefully his fortunes change but it's a little much to expect him to be leading the line for Ireland right now

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Jesus Christ. I've as much chance of playing Championship football next season as Ferguson does. Have you actually watched the games? He got a standing ovation coming off yesterday because he played very well. He's on a goal drought for sure, but his all round game is still excellent. Hoilund at United couldn't score all 1st half of season and now is on a tear, do u think Norwayfoot.no was talking about him going to Championship?

Ferguson wasn't over hyped, he was given correct credit for how well he was doing, but now like all young players he's going through a patch that he has to fight through, and he'll be better for it.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    He's a Premiership level player who is being brought through very well by Brighton.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

8. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    I've a theory about new young forwards - which could be nonsense of course, but what the hey - and it's that when they break through, it can in part be because they're an unknown quantity, so the opposition haven't scouted them and are focussing more on the experienced strikers. Then there's a spell where opposition teams give them more respect, and they'll find it tougher to get going. But as they're still young, they're still improving, and they just need to come through the other side of that and they'll start scoring again and be a much stronger player for the experience.

Rashford did something similar as I recall.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I've a theory about new young forwards - which could be nonsense of course, but what the hey - and it's that when they break through, it can in part be because they're an unknown quantity, so the opposition haven't scouted them and are focussing more on the experienced strikers. Then there's a spell where opposition teams give them more respect, and they'll find it tougher to get going. But as they're still young, they're still improving, and they just need to come through the other side of that and they'll start scoring again and be a much stronger player for the experience.

Theres something to that, but also even very experienced strikers go through goal droughts. He'll be fine, as I said his overall game is still excellent, but I don't think he links well with Pedro.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Yeah I think that's part of what I'm suggesting. Ferguson will deal with teams figuring him out and will learn to adapt and do different things. I'm not saying he'll become a completely different player but he'll know how to switch it up a bit when faced with top level players who know how to contain a certain type.

He isn't there yet and we are expecting him to lead the line for us. It would be great if he could rotate a bit with other players and not have to be the main man before he is ready. Robbie at least had Quinn.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    752 Posts
    I don't think we need to rotate Ferguson. In fact we can help his development by not rotating him. Ideally I'd start him in every friendly we have before the end of the season and give him 45 minutes to an hour in each one. Plenty of time in the second half for his competitors like Idah and Keane to make their cases. But they must know they're playing to be his back-up/support act.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Maybe rotate is the wrong way to put it but we need to find a way take some of the pressure off him. I don't think his decision making has been great at times for Ireland. Looks like a lad who thinks he has to do it all sometimes. And as stu sort of says, he's well marshalled and scouted now. Teams know he is our main threat. It's a completely different situation to Brighton who have weapons everywhere.

Without an experienced pro forward beside him or even in the squad, it could be hard for him to live up to the expectations if we don't find a way to relieve that pressure a bit. That might be in switching up the formation to get him more support or just finding other options that can work.

45 to an hour in each game sounds about right but maybe sometimes it's not even from the start. Let him watch a few of his support actors from the bench and come on in a few games maybe.

We have an absolute diamond on our hands and I'm not really too worried about it overall. If he plays every minute of every game it will probably benefit him as well. Was just thinking over a few pints yesterday.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Another one today - 12th league goal of the season; 60th league goal in the last four seasons.

Preston up to seventh and a Premier campaign not out of the question next year

16. Thanks From:

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789