Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Dáil

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

The new Dáil

While Fine Gael technically have a range of options - government with independents, Sinn Féin or external Fianna Fáil support, and some Labour TDs might consider it easier to grow the party in opposition, rather than government, a grand coalition now looks inevitable. FF could find themselves squeezed in opposition, up against SF, the ULA and independents, and could require two elections to challenge again. So, is this really the start of a new era, or will the country revert to the old order once further cutbacks take effect?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    It's refreshing that FF are finally being punished. That's been the best thing about the election. I'm surprised by the big FF names who are losing out, such as Hanafin, O'Rourke and Roche (possibly). The prospect of them cuddling up to SF in opposition delights me no end.

Personally, a FG-Lab coalition would be best. They'd have enough power to put proper change into effect. Sinn Féin would be too volatile as coalition partners. The odds of them pulling out over some FG rejection of their proposals would be high. I don't think FG could rely on the backing of Independents. A lot of them are looking for local change. I think that would compromise FG making any real advances.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    i think that it'll proabably revert to type for the coalition partners - FG/Lab - and that SF will try to push to become the main voice of opposition, despite having less seats than FF. Fianna Fail's credibility is buggered I think for the short to mid-term future - all the next government have to do is keep pointing to the problems caused by FF. That should get them through about two thrids of a Dáil term at least before the real criticism starts.
    i believe in one man, one vote. i should be that one man with that one vote.

ALWAYS ON TOUR!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    It'll certainly be an interesting Dail, with Higgins, ross, Adams, Wallace, Flanagan on the opposition benches.

FF will find it hard to present themselves as leaders of the opposition when they agree with the IMF/EU deal. Even though SF have fewer seats they can sound more credible in opposing the government.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    It'll be an interesting Dail alright. I think it's right FG and Labour go in together. Since '97 they have wanted to get back in power. They did a good job in the mid 90's. Hopefully they can do so again. Labour wanted to be voted in so FG would not be a single party government. They have got exactly what they wanted. It's rididculous of some Labour members to try and disrupt it now.
    In the next election after this, FF might become a junior partner in goverment. Personally I don't ever want to see them near power.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    It's perfectly reasonable for Labour members to oppose the deal - the last week Labour was saying no single party Government, the previous two weeks was attacking FG. Going in is short termism, even in the "National Interest", compared with the chance to be a potential leading Government party. Passed now anyway, so I guess it'll be down to someone having the chance to say "told you so" later on.

If The Week In Politics is anything to go by, FF are screwed. The only point they can make is about the election, not about policies (as at least initially the new Government are sticking to the EU/IMF deal). They're going to get buried by the opposition parties/ indo's that oppose the deal full stop. I think it's more accident than design, but it really hampers FF in opposition as much as the fact that they brought us where we are. O'Brien tied himself up in knots criticising the lack of timescale for stuff that FF sat on for years - he just came across as ridiculous talking about the Children's rights referendum that FF delayed as they wanted to deny the people democracy of the byelections.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Great to see the Dail sit today. FG/Lab did a decent job when last in power. Hopefully they'll do the same again.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Seriously people anyone who thinks this government will do anything of any major difference from the last is deluded. They have already started with excuses and they have not even started
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    It's a bit early to be so negative Neish. While FG are very similar to FF, if not even more right-wing, Labour are at least somewhat to the left of them and should have a bit of a moderating influence; they have too many seats in the house and the cabinet to be another PDs or Greens, or at least I hope so. And you can always join their party and fight from within, or join another and fight from without.

We need to engage more with politics in Ireland, not less.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 10/03/2011 at 11:37 AM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

If this government can even manage to get through an iota of the reform they promise then it will be a success.
    Already Kenny in a week in the job has shown more gumption than that other goon. The thing that worries me is Labour's flakiness. I just hope Gilmore finds some political judgement somewhere and stays the course.
    They all have in their hands the power to destroy FF forever. They should be given every opportunity and we should support them in this endeavour.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm happy as long as Joan Burton isn't involved just to annoy the National Council of Women \o/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish
    They have already started with excuses and they have not even started

What's different? Already we've seen changes. The minibus* rather than the fleet of top of the range Mercs trundling up to meet the bill-signer for the Cabinet Seals, the Dail sitting this week, and the reduction of Ministers** heading off to far-flung locations to "promote" Ireland.

Cosmetic changes admittedly, but it's a start and long term, there are a number of radical substantial changes coming up, that FF didn't and/or wouldn't consider while in power.

*The TD's looked like a bunch of footballers coming off a team bus, when they got to the bill-signers house, instead of the country's cabinet responsible for very important decisions that affect everyone in the country.

**While everyone is happy that the amount of Ministers off to flog us on the state holiday is reduced, I've never seen Merkel, Sarkosy, or the rest criss-crossing the globe on their national day, and I don't think ours should either.
    Last edited by mypost; 14/03/2011 at 9:20 AM.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    *The TD's looked like a bunch of footballers players coming off a team bus, when they got to the bill-signers house, instead of the country's cabinet responsible for very important decisions that affect everyone in the country.
    That was totally optics - it actually cost more as there was a fleet of mercs sat around doing nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    **While everyone is happy that the amount of Ministers off to flog us on the state holiday is reduced, I've never seen Merkel, Sarkosy, or the rest criss-crossing the globe on their national day, and I don't think ours should either.
    Because they don't get the access, or above usual access - we're in the unique position that our diaspora is an important voting block in many countries. Merkel and Sarkosy can pretty much get access when they want.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    That was totally optics - it actually cost more as there was a fleet of mercs sat around doing nothing!
    Maybe, but there would be more outrage if they were used.

Because they don't get the access, or above usual access - we're in the unique position that our diaspora is an important voting block in many countries. Merkel and Sarkosy can pretty much get access when they want.
    Our Government and Ministers are in Brussels, Strasbourg, Luxembourg or on any junket you think of at the drop of a hat, to win more friends and influence people 12 months of the year, costing us a fortune in travel expenses and accommodation. The least they should do is stay here for the national holiday. Is one day a year too much for them?

The ironic thing is that, while half the world wants to be Irish or in Ireland on March 17 every year, our government wants to be as far away from us as possible.

Ten Years Not Out

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    What would you expect them to achieve if they stayed here for Paddy's Day?

The ironic thing about St Patrick's Day is that - in its current format of have lots of drink and parties to celebrate Ireland - it's a foreign invention. In Ireland up until the 1970s, it was a religious feast day with no drink allowed. Abroad, it's the day when everyone with Irish roots - or "roots" - gets reminiscent about the auld sod, and celebrates what they've been forced to leave behind. The Dublin parade, for example, dates from 1931, whereas the one in New York dates from 1762. In Ireland, we've only really tapped into this in the last 15 years (the first St Patrick's Day Fesvival was in 1996) as there's tourist income to be had.

So basically, St Patrick's Day the festival is all about the emigrants, not about those currently in the country. If the ministers can go abroad and try to tap into the sentimentality and secure some business deals for the country, it makes perfect sense. Our national day is one of the most widely celebrated in the world - ahead even of Independence Day, arguably - and so you really can't compare our situation to Germany or France.

(For more on St Patrick's Day, read Our Man in Hibernia by Charlie Connelly. Or wikipedia)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    What would you expect them to achieve if they stayed here for Paddy's Day?
    If the ministers can go abroad and try to tap into the sentimentality and secure some business deals for the country, it makes perfect sense. Our national day is one of the most widely celebrated in the world - ahead even of Independence Day, arguably - and so you really can't compare our situation to Germany or France.
    I am sceptical on exactly how many business deals are done on such a day. Multinationals come here mainly because of our (under threat) corp tax rate and our accessibility to Europe, not on whether the Minister for Sport showed up in some far flung backwater on Paddy's Day. I see it as another expensive foreign junket and photo op for Ministers.

Even minus the financial aspect, I believe they should be here on principle on the day, as other Presidents and PM's are in their countries. The French, German, American, and Russian national holidays (to name a few) are highly publicised, and much celebrated. All their leaders are at home on the day, and so should ours be. There's just 8 of them this year, but it's still 8 too many imo.

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    I've already told you our national day is unlike almost any other in the world, so the comparison with other national leaders is irrelevant.

I think it's quite racist to describe India as a "far-flung backwater"; what are we exactly?

Who do you think promotes our corporation tax rate and skilled workforce around the world? Do you think companies just open the Yellow Pages and ring the operator for Ireland?

And if our TDs can help tap into a foreign celebration of Ireland and thereby encourage the idea of tourism here, is that not a good thing?

And again, I'll ask the question - what difference would it make if the TDs stayed here for the holiday? "Principle" is a complete cop-out of a reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Who mentioned India?

Junketeers, and there are many of them. JOD showed us the extent he was prepared to go to promote Ireland. 5-star hotels, 3-figure meals, rocketing expenses, the works. And he's only one of them. That's what you're advocating on Thursday, in case someone thinks they might invest a fiver in the country.

Principle is not a copout, our PM should be seen to be here. That's what happens everywhere else, regardless how widely it's celebrated.

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    You mentioned our sports minister going to a far-flung backwater. Our sports minister is Leo Varadkar, who's going to India for the holiday.

"Principle" is a way of you avoiding the points that have been made. So again - what good would the ministers do here, and why shouldn't they tap into the largest foreign celebration of Ireland to promote the country?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Yes I did mention the Sports Minister. I didn't refer to any given country, and forgot that he was going there. But the principle still applies. He along with the rest of them should be here, saving the state travel, accommodation, and other expenses. There's plenty of trips and weeks in the year for Ministers and Diplomatic Officials to go abroad to drum up business. Paddy's Day should be sacrosanct, and politicians should celebrate it here, as is done elsewhere on national holidays. In the wider world, 17 March is a day like most others.

Ten Years Not Out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast