Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 254 of 387 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256264304354 ... LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,080 of 7734

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Rather amusing retweet by Jamie Bryson, this: https://twitter.com/AreWeACountry/st...12943761887233

(#JamieBryson as mascot) Never mind, look on the bright side. He could have been organising genocide for years and sitting in government...

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    forgive my ignorance, who's Bryson? what's the relevance of him being a mascot?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Bryson has been one of the more prominent loyalist flag protestors/spokesmen and is chairman of the Ulster People's Forum. He stood in as the IFA's mascot last November after the usual mascot took ill and a media story was made of it subsequent to his new-found flag-related fame: http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/hea...rage-1-4767422

FLAG protest leader Jamie Bryson has been angered that several newspapers have highlighted his brief stint as mascot for the Northern Ireland football team.

The front page of yesterday’s Irish News carried a picture of the Bangor man dressed as the football-headed ‘Footie’ with the oversized boots.

In a statement, the Irish Football Association said Mr Bryson – who is the interim chairman of the Ulster People’s Forum – had been used as a last-minute replacement for the normal mascot, who had taken ill ahead of the home match against Azerbaijan last November.

A spokesman for the IFA told the newspaper: “Mr Bryson stood in at the last minute. This was a one-off.

“Mr Bryson is not involved in any of the association’s community relations projects.”

In the aftermath of yesterday’s media coverage, Mr Bryson said on Facebook: “Never mind the fact we have the GAA glorifying and parading terrorists around – was delighted to be mascot and stand in front of the Kop with all the Union and Ulster Flags waving as my fellow Ulstermen and women stood for the national anthem of Northern Ireland.”
    Naturally, the IFA felt it necessary to reassure those concerned that his standing in as mascot wasn't an endorsement of his politics by somewhat distance themselves from his private life, lest they be perceived as any more mono-communal than they already are by many. I don't see it as a big deal though, to be honest, although his conception of what the IFA's team represents, in the last paragraph above there, is telling. I'd imagine it's not too unpopular a view. With apparent glee, he even mentions all the Union flags waving in the Kop; NB had me thinking they were a thing of the past...

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post

He's a spokeman for the "Ulster People's Forum", who have been involved in the recent "Flag Protests". Often seen in public with, the somewhat unstable, Willie Frazer (although they've had a few "tiffs" of late).

The new "poster boy" of young "Loyalists".

He's a rather deluded and egotistical figure - his latest, warped, assertion making the headlines is that the Provos were terrorists but the UVF were not.

Good luck to him in explaining that "logic" to the innocent victims of UVF violence.

Edit: Just noticed DI's reply.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    With apparent glee he even mentions all the Union flags waving in the Kop; NB had me thinking they were a thing of the past...
    Relatively few UF's at Northern Ireland matches in recent times - but I suspect there might be more than usual at upcoming games. Whatever rocks their boat.

I think if I checked the TV footage of the Kop on the night Bryson did Footie, it might dispel any notion of Bryson's that it was a sea of Union Flags. Having attended the match, I don't recall it being akin the The Last Night Of The Proms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Hehe, fair enough. I was half pulling your leg. NI fans can wave Union flags if they like. It just gets a bit nauseous having the same people tell us nationalist footballers should embrace such gestures, expressions and symbolism or that the side can be representative of nationalist identity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Hehe, fair enough. I was half pulling your leg. NI fans can wave Union flags if they like. It just gets a bit nauseous having the same people tell us nationalist footballers should embrace such gestures, expressions and symbolism or that the side can be representative of nationalist identity.
    Just as nauseous as the same people telling us that the right of choice of players born in Northern Ireland to play for Northern Ireland should be removed, in order to faciltate a singular All Ireland team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,652 Posts
    just pulling his (f)leg...

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Bryson actually compared himself to Jesus Christ at a recent protest:

"Remember, Hitler had millions of followers, but Jesus Christ just had twelve."

Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    Just as nauseous as the same people telling us that the right of choice of players born in Northern Ireland to play for Northern Ireland should be removed, in order to faciltate a singular All Ireland team.
    Well, you know my thoughts on that.

12. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    At least he didn't compare himself to Hitler, I suppose.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I sorta feel any explanation of who Bryson is half-buries the lede if it doesn't mention he's the self-published author of these soon-to-be-cult-canon screamers.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    The reviews are worth it.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    I sorta feel any explanation of who Bryson is half-buries the lede if it doesn't mention he's the self-published author of these soon-to-be-cult-canon screamers.
    So there's another 49 Shades of God to come yet??

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    The reviews are worth it.
    The reviews are classic but do they alone justify Jamie's .. ahem ..'literary' exploits?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The reviews are classic but do they alone justify Jamie's .. ahem ..'literary' exploits?
    Yes. Yes they do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    "Worth a miss", which attributes additional value to any other activity precluding the purchase and/or consuming of Jamie's tour de force is a restrained enough rebuff on the face of it but upon scrutiny, possibly the sharpest barb in the hail. The internet can be a cruel place.

I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of reviews, brief as it was. Would read again and will recommend to friends.

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Could anyone who was dumb enough to purchase his book, have the wit to write one of those retorts?

The 5 star review, the scots/irish one (whatever the féck that gobbeldygook is called), had me going.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Mascot, preacher and Glasgow Rangers' fan, how could you not vote for Jamie! Sullivinho, what book have you swallowed now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    The last one...

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon reviewer
    There is a slander campaign against this, 2 Feb 2013
    By
    Chris - See all my reviews
    This review is from: Four Men Had a dream: May the streets be broad and narrow.....: 1 (Paperback)
    Republicans are targetting this and are encouraging people to review this book negatively because of race/ religion

Eric Hedley
    Leave as many reviews of this book as you can.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Four-Men-Had...7308496&sr=1-1
    And they say Loyalism is in crisis?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    And a comment to that call to arms 'review' was
    "In all seriousness, how could anyone give this garbage a positive review? Have you actually read any of it? Utter illiterate drivel. I have heard more coherent sentences on The Teletubbies."

How about Better call Saul's 5 star review?

"Whether it is rambling to hypnotised mass gatherings outside Belfast City Hall, or inflicting his apparently delusional, somewhat fevered rantings on a national broadcast audience, we have all been duped into believing that Bryson is in fact a real person. Thankfully, however, that is not the case and it is with this wickedly subversive tour de force that he announces himself as the next great satirist of our time."

"Just as incisively brutal is the author's use of poorly constructed sentences, woeful grammar and intermittent punctuation. By choosing to render his work thus, Bryson offers a damning indictment of the educational vacuity that continues to plague loyalism."

"For anyone seeking an insight into the loyalist mind, this is an essential purchase."

"There are strong echoes too of Cormac McCarthy's minimalist style - of which Bryson is undoubtedly a disciple - though it is puzzling as to why he chose to adopt the great American's spartan approach, especially considering the rather implausible, saccharine plot."

26. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    Even though the team exist on the basis of an historical accident. As in FIFA allowing GB et al to have 4 teams.
    And there never will or could be a sovereign state in the North.
    So you can see why people both at home and abroad might question their 'right' to exist...