Results 3,261 to 3,280 of 7734

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    Why did he not stick with the FAI?
    I've no idea. Realism, perhaps? If you really want to know, I suppose you could ask him on twitter or something?
    His career took a bit of a nose dive after Rochdale and he doesn't seem to have received international recognition until about 7 years later, when, after a great season with Coleraine, Worthington called him up. I'm very happy that he is a City player. He is a more than capable replacement for Zayed.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Perhaps Rory Paterson was abused/ pressurised/ threatened/ intimidated into switching. That's what happened with James McClean after all.

3. Thanks From:

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Perhaps Rory Paterson was abused/ pressurised/ threatened/ intimidated into switching. That's what happened with James McClean after all.
    I don't think McClean needed any of the above to switch.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    What the balls? I stopped reading this about 60 pages ago, wtf do you people have left to discuss?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Why not read the thread and find out...

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    I always have a wee chuckle when I see/hear Irish Tricolor waving folk chanting "dirty orange *******s".

I also have the same chuckle when I see Ulster Banner waving folk giving off about "Fenian *******s".
    By the way, do you know if the National Flag ban at The Brandy has been lifted?
    That's a lot of 'chuckles' !

Perhaps they both had a more negative experience of the 'other side' than you...

And which 'national' flag?

Nowadays, the sight of Tricolours at Windsor Park is commonplace, and causes little or no offence to anyone.
    Presumably when Cliftonville (& Donegal Celtic?!) play there also?

And all Linfield fans are so accommodating as your good self, yeah right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    And which 'national' flag?
    All National Flags.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Presumably when Cliftonville (& Donegal Celtic?!) play there also?

And all Linfield fans are so accommodating as your good self, yeah right.
    Cliftonville, DC (although they don't really have many fans) and when teams from the South play there.

Marty and his Provo mate McCartney seemed to enjoy the hospitality of the Linfield Management Committie in the Directors Box on Monday night.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Cliftonville, DC (although they don't really have many fans) and when teams from the South play there.

Marty and his Provo mate McCartney seemed to enjoy the hospitality of the Linfield Management Committie in the Directors Box on Monday night.
    This comment shows your failure to move with the times and to try and embrace the Nationalist Community. Even the old firebrand Ian Paisley made some effort, why can't you? This is why you continue to lose players to us and long may it continue.

Using soccer as a vehicle to highlight myopic political views is at the heart of the issue and why the FAI is representative of one community only. It is tragic that NI born players feel they cannot represent their country of birth because of this nauseating attitude.

Maybe when the likes of the Faroes Islands beat you, the likes of you will realise that maybe it is time to make a genuine and sincere effort to accommodate the Nationalist Community. Until then I hope this exodus continues and highlights the hypocrisy of the FAI and its supposedly 'soccer supporters.'

You are viewed by some on here as moderate in attitude. I actually think you are eloquent, but extreme in attitude. Boycotting a Derry game because your money might help them is proof of your highy politicized view of soccer.

To answer the post recently by Acorn Villa, it is because of such posts by NB that I feel compelled to continue debating this highly emotive issue.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    This comment shows your failure to move with the times and to try and embrace the Nationalist Community. Even the old firebrand Ian Paisley made some effort, why can't you? This is why you continue to lose players to us and long may it continue.

Using soccer as a vehicle to highlight myopic political views is at the heart of the issue and why the FAI is representative of one community only. It is tragic that NI born players feel they cannot represent their country of birth because of this nauseating attitude.

Maybe when the likes of the Faroes Islands beat you, the likes of you will realise that maybe it is time to make a genuine and sincere effort to accommodate the Nationalist Community. Until then I hope this exodus continues and highlights the hypocrisy of the FAI and its supposedly 'soccer supporters.'

You are viewed by some on here as moderate in attitude. I actually think you are eloquent, but extreme in attitude. Boycotting a Derry game because your money might help them is proof of your highy politicized view of soccer.

To answer the post recently by Acorn Villa, it is because of such posts by NB that I feel compelled to continue debating this highly emotive issue.
    That's a class rant.

I tip my hat to you Sir.

If 'extreme' means not airbrushing history - then you're right.

You are extremely naive.
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 10/03/2012 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    This comment shows your failure to move with the times and to try and embrace the Nationalist Community. Even the old firebrand Ian Paisley made some effort, why can't you?
    This piece of your rant is particularly naive.

I voted to put Marty and his Provo mates into power, long before 'lazarous' firebrand Ian Paisley would entertain that notion.

I forgave in 1998.

I'll not forget until the day I die.

I think that welcoming members of an organisation that tried to murder people attending a match at Windsor Park into the Directors Box at Windsor Park constitutes progress.
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 09/03/2012 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Maybe... the likes of you will realise that maybe it is time to make a genuine and sincere effort to accommodate the Nationalist Community.
    Maybe, as a "United" Irelander, the next time you want to throw a "hand grenade" in, calling for a "United" Ireland team, you will realise it's not all about the "Nationalist Community", and suggest sincere efforts to accomodate the Unionist Community.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Wouldn't necessarily agree with this, gastric. My father, for example, was born in Tyrone, but NI isn't his country. Just as, say, Scotland isn't his country. It's as simple as that. It's not that these players necessarily feel they cannot represent NI. Sure some have been content to do so at youth level. Niall McGinn represents NI in spite of continuing to support Ireland; the country with which he actually identifies nationally. These players who switch want to play for the country to which they actually affiliate and relate with regard to their national identity. The only reason Niall McGinn is playing for NI is because he didn't have enough faith in his ability to challenge for a place in the Ireland sqaud. He took the pragmatic or careerist option, which is perfectly fine, as far as I'm concerned. Duffy, McClean, Gibson, Wilson and whoever have also all been pretty clear on the country with which they identify. McClean even went to the lengths of correcting Colin Murray from 'Match of the Day 2' via Tweeter when the latter erroneously referred to him as "Northern Irish".

The IFA run a 'Football for All' programme and embrace the likes of Niall McGinn and Paddy McCourt without issue, to be fair to them. Whether it can convince broad nationalism to take an interest in them, I'm not so sure, but they may try.

You are viewed by some on here as moderate in attitude.
    I know he's a unionist through and through, but the reason I think NB is reasonable is because he more often than not acknowledges the facts of a situation and respects the right of nationalists to identify however they wish without flinging accusations of bigotry and sectarianism at them.

Boycotting a Derry game because your money might help them is proof of your highy politicized view of soccer.
    Have a feeling his issues are not political here but may well relate to Derry's past dealings with other Irish League clubs; Cliftonville and Dungannon Swifts, I'm guessing?

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Have a feeling his issues are not political here but may well relate to Derry's past dealings with other Irish League clubs; Cliftonville and Dungannon Swifts, I'm guessing?
    Nothing "political" at all Danny.

You've got it almost spot on...Cliftonville, Dungannon and Linfield.

You are also correct in the assertion that I view Nationalist aspirations equally as valid as my desire for Northern Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom.

Sadly, Gastric's mask slipped somewhat in his earlier rant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    You are also correct in the assertion that I view Nationalist aspirations equally as valid as my desire for Northern Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom.
    This is the true meaning of "shared future"; respect and tolerance of difference. Many other NI fans and intolerant unionists unfortunately seem to confuse "shared future" to constitute a duty upon nationalists to adopt a new national identity. When nationalists refuse to relinquish their Irish national identity and, worse, have the nerve to express it, they are accused of bigotry and sectarianism. These aforementioned dinosaurs are stuck in a pre-GFA age.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Wouldn't necessarily agree with this, gastric. My father, for example, was born in Tyrone, but NI isn't his country. Just as, say, Scotland isn't his country. It's as simple as that. It's not that these players necessarily feel they cannot represent NI. Sure some have been content to do so at youth level. Niall McGinn represents NI in spite of continuing to support Ireland; the country with which he actually identifies nationally. These players who switch want to play for the country to which they actually affiliate and relate with regard to their national identity. The only reason Niall McGinn is playing for NI is because he didn't have enough faith in his ability to challenge for a place in the Ireland sqaud. He took the pragmatic or careerist option, which is perfectly fine, as far as I'm concerned. Duffy, McClean, Gibson, Wilson and whoever have also all been pretty clear on the country with which they identify. McClean even went to the lengths of correcting Colin Murray from 'Match of the Day 2' via Tweeter when the latter erroneously referred to him as "Northern Irish".

The IFA run a 'Football for All' programme and embrace the likes of Niall McGinn and Paddy McCourt without issue, to be fair to them. Whether it can convince broad nationalism to take an interest in them, I'm not so sure, but they may try.

I know he's a unionist through and through, but the reason I think NB is reasonable is because he more often than not acknowledges the facts of a situation and respects the right of nationalists to identify however they wish without flinging accusations of bigotry and sectarianism at them.

I have to confess to a big mistake in the above post where I typed in FAI whem I meant IFA.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    NB, so now I am a United Irelander? Your ignorance and stupidity never cease to amaze me. When have I ever expressed such a view? The reality is I have never directly expressed my political views on here. Maybe this is probably due to your 'if they're not with us they are against us' mentality?
    Firstly, I am not in favour of a united Ireland, politically or in soccer terms. NI has the right to have its own soccer team and long may this continue. What I cannot abide is how soccer has been used as a vehicle for political views over the years and still continues today in NI. I also believe that NI continues to alienate many in the Nationalist Community. Recent progress has only been made due to the defections that continue to irk NI supporters. The appointments of Michael O 'Neill and Gerry Armstrong smack of desperation. Positive discrimination has been forced upon the IFA.

The only way progress can continue in terms of creating a more inclusive approach is if players continue to leave NI and join us. Then maybe at some stage through lack of success and progress, there may a change in attitude in NI. It should never be forgotten that real political change does not occur until reality impinges upon idealism.

Unfortunately, NB you don't have the ability to accept this reality and your ideas regarding U19s and international representation is a ruse to cover over the anger and embarrassment that this brings to NI football. I hope players continue to represent NI at youth levels and then join us as is their democratic right. Maybe then reality will bite and players from the Nationalist Community will feel they are part of an inclusive team that can achieve success.

The continued extremist political aspects of your posts show that while you think you are progressive, you are actually the problem.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    NB, so now I am a United Irelander? Your ignorance and stupidity never cease to amaze me. When have I ever expressed such a view? .
    NB might well have presumed incorrectly, but he is neither ignorant nor stupid. Far from it.

It's worse than that, he's a Linfield man
    Last edited by geysir; 10/03/2012 at 6:59 AM.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    This is the true meaning of "shared future"; respect and tolerance of difference. Many other NI fans and intolerant unionists unfortunately seem to confuse "shared future" to constitute a duty upon nationalists to adopt a new national identity. When nationalists refuse to relinquish their Irish national identity and, worse, have the nerve to express it, they are accused of bigotry and sectarianism. These aforementioned dinosaurs are stuck in a pre-GFA age.
    The reality of making a shared future happen is going to be very difficult for some Irish Republicans too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    NB, so now I am a United Irelander?
    Firstly, I am not in favour of a united Ireland, politically or in soccer terms. NI has the right to have its own soccer team and long may this continue.
    My sincere apologies gastric....I misinterpreted the hand grenade you threw in earlier.

Your Unionism certainly proves that Unionism encompasses a broad spectrum of views.