Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Media's Role in the Election

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I don't think any of the panel came out with much credit from Prime Time, I wouldn't be hanging it all on Burton when Leo is in with the, albeit well spoken, digs. That format is inevitably a shouting match though - even a two or three way debate. Should be much more structured such as the US, and the UK, with everyone given the same time and no interruptions.

It's nearly every current affairs show on RTE at this stage, but News at One/ O'Rourke at it again presenting Colm McCarthy as an independent commentator rather than someone regularly employed by Lenihan, in painting the opposition parties plans in a bad light and endorsing Lenihans points. Now maybe he is right, the point is that he shouldn't be the one on doing the analysis, without the caveat during the introduction. Actually, isn't he still effectively working* for Lenihan producing a report on a firesale of state assets? I've said before regarding Noel Whelan, there's nothing wrong with a potential bias source, once the public are informed of the possible conflict of interest - RTE's failure to do this really raises questions their impartiality imo.

*iirc he's not taking a salary for this work, on top of his UCD, but I'm sure the exposure does his consultancy side business no harm.
    Last edited by Macy; 03/02/2011 at 1:43 PM.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    The shouting match on Prime Time showed the 3 opposition parties in a bad light. Lenihan was almost grinning with the result. He still refuses to accept any questions and sadly will get re-elected. How he does, well, all I know is my old neighbours are big FF'ers. Varadkar was talked down at times and seemed a little overawed at times. I thought at first it was a tactic, though the fact that Miriam kept touching his arm kept him quiet, maybe. It became a struggle between the pseduo-left and left with neither FG or SF covering themselves in glory. O'Caoilan didn't do himself justice at all, Burton needs something, I can't say what.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Oh sweet jesus, how on earth did the stuffed shirt from FF come out on top over Bruton and Howlin? I have to admire his quick thinking, Labour and FG are going to allow FF grab enough seats to bring them back into government.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Oh sweet jesus, how on earth did the stuffed shirt from FF come out on top over Bruton and Howlin? I have to admire his quick thinking, Labour and FG are going to allow FF grab enough seats to bring them back into government.
    Was it me or was ferris made look a bit of a ditherer? The editing of his interview was surprising even for RTE

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr Damo View Post
    Was it me or was ferris made look a bit of a ditherer? The editing of his interview was surprising even for RTE
    I was thinking the same thing - about the edit. From what I've seen of Ferris in the past (in the Dail, public events) he is quite a good speaker. Yet he seemed to be severely struggling. I have a sick feeling that our media are seriously out to rupture the left vote. They're after Labour - Gilmore is Gilbore the fence sitter, Gerry Adams is a confused fence sitter, even Inda is the invisible man (according to our 4th estate). Martin is the shining night and man who in his entire ministerial career finalised the introduction of the smoking ban and went to Sudan to take credit for a hostage release and.....10 years, nothing else. Nothing! But looking at what RTE and TV3 are doing, FF are "regaining lost ground", this was said on Drivetime today! I mean, jesus, really, jesus M Martin!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr Damo View Post
    Whether they made him look that way or not, he certainly came across really badly. When they asked him about civil service cuts, he said something like "how many people work there....270,000?". PrimeTime: "305,000". Ferris: "Obviously there'll have to be some cuts". Sounded embarrassing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Agreed but the Prime Time reporter mentioned the figuer during his naration just before they cut to that question and Ferris. It was manuafctured to reinforce the point that Ferris didn't know the number.

Makes no odds to me, won't be voting Shinners.

Noonan did very well agaisnt Pat Kenny this morning and I agree with most here that RTE are falling over themesleves promoting FF through the electorate's sub conscious!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    The Green Tea - Nob Nation for half an hour, very good! They're painting the Labour party in red, so it's clear to see that they want everyone in Ireland to worry about a new Soviet Union in Ireland. RTE and our media are all out to destroy Labour and Sinn Fein. FF are gently mocked, FG and Kenny slagged off as being afraid. Independents made out as ridiculous. Gotta love Irish democracy. The more things change the more they get worse! Funny show all the same!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Like Murdoch in the UK, O'Reilly has seen the way the wind is blowing, and has decided there's no point voting, an FG single-party government is in the best interest of his investors, sorry, the country. Also, a puff piece by Lucinda Creighton for no apparent reason.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post

It's nearly every current affairs show on RTE at this stage, but News at One/ O'Rourke at it again presenting Colm McCarthy as an independent commentator rather than someone regularly employed by Lenihan, in painting the opposition parties plans in a bad light and endorsing Lenihans points. Now maybe he is right, the point is that he shouldn't be the one on doing the analysis, without the caveat during the introduction. Actually, isn't he still effectively working* for Lenihan producing a report on a firesale of state assets? I've said before regarding Noel Whelan, there's nothing wrong with a potential bias source, once the public are informed of the possible conflict of interest - RTE's failure to do this really raises questions their impartiality imo.

*iirc he's not taking a salary for this work, on top of his UCD, but I'm sure the exposure does his consultancy side business no harm.
    I emailed RTE's complaints department about it, arguing that their failure to disclose the present or past links of political commentators to ministers or political parties was in in violation of Section 39 (1) of the 2009 broadcasting act which states that "(b) the broadcast treatment of current affairs, including matters which are either of public controversy or the subject of current public debate is fair to all interests concerned and that the broadcast matter is presented in an objective and impartial manner".

Here's the reply I received today:
    Dear (osarusan),

You underestimate the audience. Commentators such as Colm McCarthy and Noel Whelan are well known to out listeners and viewers. There is no need to give their CV each time they appear on RTE. I am fully confident that Rte is fulfilling all its statutory requirements in regard to news and current affairs in the manner in which these commentators are used. If you believe otherwise you may complain to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (www.bai.ie)

Yours sincerely

(Name deleted)
    Head of Broadcast Compliance

12. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Fair play, never went to the trouble myself, but will now you've provided the relevant sections! Did you forward it to the BAI? Wouldn't expect much, given they're Government appointed.
    Last edited by Macy; 06/02/2011 at 7:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    RTÉ at it again this evening:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0206/election.html

Kenny refusing to debate gets top billing on the website. You click on the page and the first 3 sentences are about it and really don't say anything new but the next 32 paragraphs are about the parties' launching various policies. Talk about selective headlining.
    Sick.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    FF in particular, but also the Greens, are running a very negative campaign. They're all about criticising the Opposition policies rather than promoting their own. Martin says it should be about policies, but seems only concerned with other parties. No danger of RTE picking up and reporting on this - and instead they are following the same tactic of going through the proposals of the opposition, without the same level of analysis of FF policy past or present!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Interview with Martin in the sunday indo yesterday where he seemed quite dim and also pedalled what is a known lie saying the bondholders are Irish pensionfunds and credit unions.

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    Interview with Martin in the sunday indo yesterday where he seemed quite dim and also pedalled what is a known lie saying the bondholders are Irish pensionfunds and credit unions.
    Just read this, nothing picked up on on the radio.

Also I ended up sleepless after watching the Super Bowl and decided to play catch up and watch the Kenny Egan interview. And noticed, in the opening monologue by O'Connor, cuts at all the political parties and Fintan O'Toole, yet nothing about FF. Not a single slag at them. Now, I know it's a poor show normally, though it will attract the more than normal amount of gom's who subconsciously will pick up on this. It was subtle, though why would one Corkman slag off another, especially if his bosses (RTE and INM) is backing FF to the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    2 bloody hours it took me to sleep after that game. Glad to see I wasn't the only one. Slightly delirious now with tiredness.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I made 15euros from the game, after a good weekend of results starting on Saturday. Suffered all day, but it was worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I want to sleep... but VB is on. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I think I'll just have to catch it in the morning.

Is the election over yet?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Actually watched the 11th Hour again, as no way was I able to stay awake for the whole Vinnie. Was actually ok - O'Brien didn't know how to handle Colleran going off on one about FF. I wouldn't think much of Colleran, but it was a nice bit of balance for once, especially as Campbell had his pro FF hat on!

On another point, any one hear the new Newstalk jingle for the election -GE11, without the state sponsored spin - or something like that. True, but not without a spin on it. I wonder will we get a message from the owners before the election.

And I third point, yeah man from DCU (Gary Murphy?) on Morning Ireland was pretty negative towards Labour's proposed consititution rewrite - the FG proposals that he seemed to rate (such as abolishing the Seanad) require a pretty major overhaul of the consititution anyway - it won't be a single amendment to abolish it. I his outright opposition didn't make sense to me - only people I'd think would really oppose it would be dyed in the wool FFers and the god squad.
    Last edited by Macy; 08/02/2011 at 8:23 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    What about the headline on the front page of last sundays Sindo?

Twas something like .....Fine Gael to govern on their own..... or words to that affect. That to me was an effort to put the fear of god into voters and to ensure FF dont loose too much ground. I think SF are going to do better than people think especially when the leader writers are appealling to the working classes just so FG don't pick up the "ship jumping" FF vote.

Maybe we should give Berlosconi (sic) some credit!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast