Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No One can insult our flag

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No One can insult our flag

Amazing piece of history here. Early twenties. Armistace Day. Across the bay from the castle in Dungarvan some IRA members raised the Irish Tricolour. Being armistace day the British were offended (as were a lot of Irish people). They caught the guys who did it (old IRA memebers) and paraded the through Dungarvan. You can see they arent frightened as they smile a small bit.

Notice too as they march down the lane the fellow following them and the British soldiers - the guy with the cape and hat. Hes a black and tan.
    Not as much anger in the town as you might think as ten times more irish people served in WW1 for the Allies as took part in the war of independence so there was probably some anger at the men.

The file is 6mb but for some reason it loads in a flash. the fastest thing ive seen. Worth a look. No one knew about it until recently. It was stored by British pathe in London and the town was mispelled as Dungarvin ( Not Dungarvan) .

ITs under No One can insult our flag. The Page can be viewed here
    Last edited by eoinh; 18/05/2004 at 11:58 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    people insult our flag every weekend by writing stuff on it, its not on and guinness got in trouble for it during the 2002 world cup.....

so maybe we should look closer to home
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I only called it that title Max, as thats what they called it on the original Pathe Newsreel. I wasnt making any judgements.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    that little thing has annoyed me for a while, its the same with people wearing the flag around their necks....i was always led to believe that the green and orange should never touch so tieing them together is wrong then....

its our national flag and a lot of people just don't respect it, same with the anthem.....
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by max power
    that little thing has annoyed me for a while, its the same with people wearing the flag around their necks....i was always led to believe that the green and orange should never touch so tieing them together is wrong then....
    Surely you'd tie it around your neck at one of the short sides i.e. the green end tied around your neck?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    na i've seen it both ways, but i take your point.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Surely you'd tie it around your neck at one of the short sides i.e. the green end tied around your neck?
    I've seen that with kids which ends up with the flag beiong dragged along the ground.
    Don't start me on people not knowing the words to the national anthem though, christ, sing it in English if your Irish isn't good.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    its not just the words, its people who don't stand up or mess or talk during it, it's a minute long.....to be its the same as messing during a minutes silence...

i wish we could do like italy and have a minutes noise, no one would the notice the fool saying nothin then

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    ....i was always led to believe that the green and orange should never touch so tieing them together is wrong then...
    Why's that?
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez
    Why's that?
    Yeah surely it'd be the opposit what with White symbolising peace and all that?!?

Anyway Guinness didn't get in trouble at the last world cup, that was just tabloid paper talk...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    err lads - anybody look at the film. interesting?

It deals with the British flag not the Irish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Dungarvan hasn't changed much either!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eoinh
    err lads - anybody look at the film. interesting?

It deals with the British flag not the Irish.
    I'd have been tempted to get my lad out and p*ss all over it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    i was always led to believe that the green and orange should never touch so tieing them together is wrong then...
    That's correct. There's a special way to fold it so that the green and the orange never touch. I was also thought that if the flag ever touched the ground it should be burned. Never understood that one.
    What annoys me is when people say "our flag is green, white and gold."
    Learn your history!
    I remember when I was in Portugal they were all shocked at the disrespect for the flag. They never have anything written on their flags. The same goes for the Spanish and many other countries I'm sure.
    Does anyone need a tri-colour light switch?
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    people insult our flag every weekend by writing stuff on it, its not on and guinness got in trouble for it during the 2002 world cup.....

so maybe we should look closer to home
    Totally agree with you Max, I likewise think it is a shame that we degrade our flag. It's our national flag and I feel it should be respected.

As for the green and white I orange not touching I believe that is when folding it, also it cannot touch the ground.
    It's only just begun...............
    If the last 21 years were class, here's looking forward to the next 21 years. It is our time

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    That's correct. There's a special way to fold it so that the green and the orange never touch. I was also thought that if the flag ever touched the ground it should be burned. Never understood that one.
    THe flag has been blessed that is why it should be burned, I think thats why but I am open to correction.
    If the last 21 years were class, here's looking forward to the next 21 years. It is our time

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    its a simple case of defacing our national flag, with pub names etc, guinness got in trouble because it was simply disrespectful, i am a proud Irish citizen, not republican or nationalist, just an Irish man, who is proud to be just that and any person who is proud of where they are from should be commented, english, american who ever......

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    I remember when I was in Portugal they were all shocked at the disrespect for the flag. They never have anything written on their flags. The same goes for the Spanish and many other countries I'm sure.
    Don't know about Portugal but there is plenty 'defacing' of the Spanish flag in Spain, and depending on the message, you get away with it. Most famous was Raul, Figo and Salgado posing with a Spanish flag with an axe on it belonging to the ultras sur. Not neo-nazi of course, despite a journalist going under cover and exposing the Ultras Sur as just that in the book 'Diario de un Skin.' Even worse are fans from certain clubs carrying around the national flag of Spain from 1939 to 1978. Printing San Miguel on it doesn't sound that bad.

As for the green and orange of the tricolour not touching each other, I too have only heard this about folding the flag by the military. However you're right about the colours. It does my head when I hear the word gold in conjunction with the flag and sh*t about it being the colour of the papacy.
    i am a proud Irish citizen, not republican or nationalist, just an Irish man, who is proud to be just that and any person who is proud of where they are from should be commented, english, american who ever......
    You can count me out of you're group of fine patriots to be commended then.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez
    You can count me out of you're group of fine patriots to be commended then.
    Jezz I tought I was one of very few who thought this. seeing as every Irish match you see thousands off them plastered with paint etc. good to see there are more of us.

I would go as far as to say what really makes me laugh is people who use the design on their underwear, the union jack being case and point, how can wearing underware with your flag on it make you be more nationalistic???

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    lopez i guessed you'd say that, a person from a country has a right ( a basic human right ) to be proud of where they are from and show that....

there is a lot wrong with this little island ( or part of it ) of ours, but thats what it is, ours and i'm damn proud of it...

and standing in landsdown road and croke aprk supporting to longford teams and singing the national anthem were two of the proudest days of my life...

i will remember the anthem at the cup final for the rest of my life.....

and if in another country it is only right to respect theirs, even if you do not respect their history or leader,its the peoples anthem after all, that goes for the flag too....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast