Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts

FAI Cup semis

Alan Kelly refs Friday's game between Bohs and Sligo

Tom Connolly refs Rovers v Pats on Sunday

Both games on RTE

Sligo the form team between the 4? Bohs have been spluttering but obviously buoyed by Rovers collap[se and their ascent to the tope of the league.

Pats league season has faded badly but they managed to raise themselves for the Cup quarter final. Can they do it against a Rovers side that must now see the Cup as their only way to salavage the season?

Should be an interesting weekend
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Think I saw on another thread that Bohs & Sligo have very similar run of form over last 6/7 games although Sligo are scoring much more freely. Hoping for a good game on Friday, Sligo always have a go at Dalymount and have been involved in some of the best games I saw there over the last couple of years.

With Pats season tailing off a bit of late they will want to gain somerthing from what has been a realitively good season for them, and another crack at that elusive FAI Cup would fit the bill nicely.
    Given the recent cracks in form and subsequent loss of confidence shams cannot contemplate losing the semi. I have a feeling that getting away from the pressure of chasing thier "holy grail" may ease the nerves a bit and they have a good record against pats of late.

Both matches difficult to call and at least one of them may need a replay. Hope the drama and good football seen on TV last week is replicated this week (and it would be nice if the games are decided by the teams and not some refs decision)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Yeah there was some table with Bohs on 15 points from 7 games and us with 14 from 7 (I think)

Looking forward to Friday night. As said already they're generally good games between the 2 of us although it was a real backs to the wall job in the quarter final there last season. Think we're a better team then we were then but it's still going to be very tough for us. First goal will be crucial I think.

I'd fancy Shams to bounce back on Sunday although if we don't win the cup I would love to see Pats finally win it.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    http://www.airtricityleague.com/inde...ue-suspensions

A couple of pretty big suspensions for ROvers. Sives is easily their best defender.

I'd guess their defence will be Chambers - Sullivan - Price - Stevens

Not only does it look a bit ropey but it takes Chambers out of the middle.

Lynch isn't nearly as big a loss if Guthrie is back. But if he's out Noel Haverty will probably play in the centre and he'll be up against it of Rovers play Twigg and Stewart
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    http://www.airtricityleague.com/inde...ue-suspensions

A couple of pretty big suspensions for ROvers. Sives is easily their best defender.

I'd guess their defence will be Chambers - Sullivan - Price - Stevens
    Sullivan won't play, hasn't played in 6 months and wont again until next season. Flynn will have to play centre half, meaning our defence may well be
    Chambers - Flynn - Price - Stevens
    That's a defence in absolute bits, don't think we have a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I thought Pats were very good in second half last saturday (although they didnt show up for first half) and could/should have got a point from the game. Need to start from the first whistle on Sunday but confidence must be low at shams after recent weeks and a good start by Pats could rattle. Unless playing our own team I think few would begrudge Pats an FAI Cup win after 50 years, although for either Pats or Shams to finish the season empty handed will be a major disappointment given the respective seasons enjoyed by both todate. first goal vital to confidence of both teams.

Sligo did play a "backs to the wall" game in the quter final last year but after going down to 10 men (if memeory not gone altogether ) great display by Brush in goal resulted in nil all draw. have been some cracking games between us in recent years with both sides going for the win (guaranteed nil all draw so ).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Sorry, meant Flynn. Dunno why I typed Sullivan.

I'd guess Pats team as

-------Rogers---------
    Pender Haverty Kenna Bermingham
    McAllister Byrne Mulcahy Doyle
    -----North ---- Guy--------

This could be a high scoring game with the team who makes fewest mistakes winning
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    I personally cant wait for the game tomorrow.
    Love Dalymount, and a Dalymount under the lights while in the shed, couldnt ask for anything more.
    Would love to get any sort of win, but my guess is a draw which I would be happy with, would be more confident to take Bohs in the Showgies in a replay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Guthrie needs to play for us on Sunday if its Haverty up against Twigg and Stewart we have no chance (although he has been OK in his last 2 games), As Marinobohs said I think the first goal is vital in the game, If Rovers get it I can see them kicking on and trying to put the last few weeks behind them by getting a good few, Don;t forget they didn't play badly against Fingal the game should have been out of sight by the time O'Neill scored, If we can get the first goal well then I can see the Rovers fans really getting on the players backs and think we will go on and win, Nervous as hell, to close to call
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    I thought Pats were very good in second half last saturday (although they didnt show up for first half) and could/should have got a point from the game. Need to start from the first whistle on Sunday but confidence must be low at shams after recent weeks and a good start by Pats could rattle. Unless playing our own team I think few would begrudge Pats an FAI Cup win after 50 years, although for either Pats or Shams to finish the season empty handed will be a major disappointment given the respective seasons enjoyed by both todate. first goal vital to confidence of both teams.

Sligo did play a "backs to the wall" game in the quter final last year but after going down to 10 men (if memeory not gone altogether ) great display by Brush in goal resulted in nil all draw. have been some cracking games between us in recent years with both sides going for the win (guaranteed nil all draw so ).
    Unless my memory is totally gone i think we finished the game with 11!!Last 25 that day were hard to watch and definitely we were playing for the 0-0. No matter what cookie was saying the last day on MNS i think he would gladly take another 0-0 and bring ye back to the Showgrounds Monday night. Looking forward to it now and should be a cracker. Think there may be replays required for both games so defo gonna have a punt on the double. Does anyone know if RTE would be showing either if these games if they do go to a replay and when is the Shams v Pats one scheduled if required??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Ppats/Rovers replay (if needed) is down for Tuesday night I'm led to believe

Strangely enough I think we've a better chance in Tallaght
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st time post View Post
    Think there may be replays required for both games so defo gonna have a punt on the double. Does anyone know if RTE would be showing either if these games if they do go to a replay and when is the Shams v Pats one scheduled if required??
    I'd predict they wouldn't - as they never have shown replays in recent years. Main example was the Bohs - Pats game that went to replay in 2003 - finished off 4-3 to Pats after Extra Time. Was widely regarded as one of the best games seen for many a long year
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Going to be very tough for us, I'd be more confident if Brush was in goal but with him out, it could be our downfall. Our replay, if needed, is scheduled for Monday night I think.
    Does anyone know if RTE would be showing either if these games if they do go to a replay and when is the Shams v Pats one scheduled if required??
    RTE never show the replays so I doubt they'll start now.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    If its a Sligo replay TG4 might do it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    What year was it when these games were last held over two legs ? Its obviously a terrible disadvantage for the away club drawn in the current format.

H & A would def be more fair and would generate decent gate money too.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    I'd predict they wouldn't - as they never have shown replays in recent years. Main example was the Bohs - Pats game that went to replay in 2003 - finished off 4-3 to Pats after Extra Time. Was widely regarded as one of the best games seen for many a long year
    Do you mean main exception ? Cos that game was shown live. Thriller it was too. As for Sunday, as a Pats fan I've learned to be pessimistic when it comes to the Cup. Nothing good can come of optimism. One of these days I may just be pleasantly surprised. It would be, um, quite nice, if that day was Sunday.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    What year was it when these games were last held over two legs ? Its obviously a terrible disadvantage for the away club drawn in the current format.

H & A would def be more fair and would generate decent gate money too.
    Maybe, but it's the same in every other round bar the final. Its fine the way it is and besides a two legged tie would always favor the bigger team no matter who would have been drawn at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I think Sligo could shade it tonight setting up an all-Rovers final. I don't think Sligo have gotten enough credit for a fine season they have had and they can put that right tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Really looking forward to the game tonight ,We defintely can win it but I'd take a draw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Unless my memory is totally gone i think we finished the game with 11!!Last 25 that day were hard to watch and definitely we were playing for the 0-0. No matter what cookie was saying the last day on MNS i think he would gladly take another 0-0 and bring ye back to the Showgrounds Monday night. Looking forward to it now and should be a cracker. Think there may be replays required for both games so defo gonna have a punt on the double. Does anyone know if RTE would be showing either if these games if they do go to a replay and when is the Shams v Pats one scheduled if required??
    Think any away team in the semi would take a draw to be fair ! Although Sligo have "had a go" at Dalymount more than any team in recent years (I think their style is usually more attacking than defending anyway) Not 100% RE 10/11 men issue so happy to take your word on it

To all Sligo fans going tonight, enjoy the game lads (but obviously, I hope, not the result)

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast