Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Slovakia V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 12th October 2010 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Also considering how dodgy the Russian defence was on Friday night, I think a Russian win in Macedonia is far from a forgone conclusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    No use placing Fahey at CM, he won't be played in that position.

Is there a hope that Whelan can improve on that awful wooden display?
    He is not playing for his club, he was the first to be substituted. I'd imagine that on Trap's scale of below par performance, his was by far the worst.
    I'd say Trap's faith in him, ever developing into our main CM, has been slowly eroded these past few games and Friday was the last straw.

Gibson should be sensing that Whelan is a wounded animal and get in a few tackles in the practice games.
    Most would agree Whelan can play a lot better than he did on Friday, he has done numerous times for Ireland and I'd expect him to be given another chance. Not getting a game for Stoke may be the reason for his form but he'll be hurting from Friday and I think he deserves another shot before being thrown on the scrap heap. Besides if Whelan is for the knacker's yard, then it pretty much makes Green dead and buried. We possibly need a brand new CM, but can't see Trap throwing the two out for Tuesday. For me Whelan's potential offers more than Green's limitations. You're right about Gibson though - he should be training this week with serious verve, he's got a real opportunity to establish himself.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The fixation for our CM solidity is to have a Gattusa like quality present. I don't think for one minute that Green is the player that will do that job for us long term, he turned up whereas McCarthy didn't and Andrews is injured. We don't have anybody resembling a Gattusa, probably thats why we have 2 players to do one man's job.
    Regardless of who he has in the midfield pairing he will want at least one with scavenger qualities. I really think the Whelan experiment has run it's course.
    It is just not on for our top centre midfielder to turn up with that form level.

I'd have a preferance for McGeady on the right, even if he is ambipedal I think he is better for us on that side and have Fahey on the left.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Lawerence is a doubt for the game and Dunne has sat out training today. If Lawerence is unable to play then his place might go to Long with Keogh upfront. I really hope Dunne is OK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I'd be happy enough giving Long a run out. He's busier and more aggressive than Keogh or Sheridan. Slovakia's injuries are a bonus, how's their strength in depth? They were shocking out in Armenia but if memory serves, they were a bit Jekyll and Hyde during the World Cup too.

Massive game this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    what time is kick off on tuesday irish time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Slovakia on Tuesday really is an interesting game. All things being equal (form, injuries etc) I see us (and have seen us) as being better every time. It's not arrogance, I just don't think they're the team a lot of people make them out to be. That said we were shocking against Russia. The weird thing is that when we (in other games and Friday) get the ball down and play it sprightly, we can do good things.

The fear though is that we could be overrun in the middle and that is what happened. This problem shouldn't be the case on Tuesday.

The injury to Skrtel could be crucial. Vittek being out, as well as Stoch really should be a fillup for our management and the players. I can't think of a specific man marker that we have if someone needs to be watched. Weiss could be that someone. Hamsik could be a cause for concern. Our formation will be telling.

In theory if we're to up the ante and start placing more emphasis on passing the ball then Fahey and Gibson probably should be in the team at the expense of Green and with Doyle's injury. I would have no issue with Lawro dropping to the bench and replacing with long either.

I disagree with anyone who says out back 4 is sorted. Our best partnership at the back is Richard Dunne and John O'Shea. Our problem is having two competent full backs. In this scenario St Ledger has proved able and a good partner for Dunne, but inferior to the Dunne/O'Shea.
    Our full back options (as per the squad) therefore are O'Shea, Kilbane, Kelly, Foley, Coleman, Cunningham.
    Is now the time to experiment with two new full backs and a revised centre half partnership? Probably not, as a positive result on Tuesday is crucial, and it's bloody well achievable.
    I wouldn't have done so before, but I do now agree that we seriously have to look at Josh at left full, particularily if he doesn't trust Ste Kelly there (when he's performed as good as KK has). Josh isn't a world beater there, but he's the best option we have, leaving a slot for either Kelly or Foley at right back, options I'm happy enough with. Norway in Nov and the Celtic cup clash in March & may need to unearth two full backs for the next two campaigns. That's imperative now.

I think I'd like to see the back 5 line up as:

------------------------------------------Given--------------------------------------
    Josh------------------Dunne------------------------------Ledger---------------Kelly

with either of these option ahead of them:

-----------------------------Gibson------Whelan------Fahey-------------------------
    ------------------------------------Long--------McGeady-----------------------------
    ------------------------------------------Keane--------------------------------------

or:

-----------------------------------------Whelan------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------Gibson-------------------------------------

-------------Long-----------------------McGeady-------------------Fahey----------
    -----------------------------------------Keane--------------------------------------

with Sheridan, Keogh, Lawrence, Wilson, Foley, Killer, Westwood on the bench.

Oh, and that if a player is dropped, that his career isn't over, he's just dropped for form.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The Armenians had lots of luck down the flanks - and through the middle, to be fair, but mainly down the flanks. The Slovakian left back basically threw in the towel and started fouling the winger every time he ran at him. As Lawrence is not an orthodox winger, it might not be the worst thing in the world to have Long or McGeady on him instead.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I just can't see McGeady filing the role in front of our striker. It's a nice theory but that's about all.
    I have seen McGeady play many times for Celtic and I have seen him used a few times in the middle but without success. He was at his least effective when he hung around the middle on friday night.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Did he ever play that role when Keane was at Parkhead? I can think of several reasons why he wouldn't have looked amazing playing off Samaras or Marc-Antoine Fortune.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I'd have a preferance for McGeady on the right, even if he is ambipedal I think he is better for us on that side and have Fahey on the left.
    .....don't forget gangerous as well!

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Who will Green look to swap jerseys with at the final whistle? Hamsik?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    The Slovakian viewpoint isn't much more optimistic than ours....
    http://britskibelasi.footballunited....eland-preview/
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    what time is kick off on tuesday irish time?
    7.30pm according to extratime.ie: http://www.extratime.ie/fixtures/

Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Who will Green look to swap jerseys with at the final whistle? Hamsik?
    He might want to hold on to it, probably won't get many more.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slovak Preview View Post
    On that occasion, Ďurica dealt with Milan Baroš, his immediate opponent, rather as an alpha-male father might deal with a whining toddler.
    Sounds like the right man to mark Robbie.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Did he ever play that role when Keane was at Parkhead? I can think of several reasons why he wouldn't have looked amazing playing off Samaras or Marc-Antoine Fortune.
    It was under Strachan, but I can't remember which games.
    I think it's enough that he parks himself out wide and drift inside more often.
    With Lawrence out, he will probably play on the right.
    Though Trap could spring a surprise and play Coleman at rm, it's too dark outside to see if pigs are flying.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Also considering how dodgy the Russian defence was on Friday night, I think a Russian win in Macedonia is far from a forgone conclusion.
    The most embarrassing thing about Friday is that it took Russia 2 games against Andorra to score 3 goals. Andorra gave them a tougher game than we did.

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Interesting read. If the formation outlined here is true, then with Slovakia adopting a 4-2-3-1 formation, surely we MUST go for a five in midfield as well. Looks like Whelan feels the same: "if Slovakia play five in the middle, we know we're going to have to change something"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Why should they be optimistic? They could have shipped 5 or 6 in Armenia and are missing some key players.

If we're up for this game, play properly and survive the inevitable scary moments we might win this one. I just hope to God that we don't go out there thinking a draw will be a good result. It might turn out that way but we should be trying hard to win this one.

We need someone to man mark Weiss methinks.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    For me the worst part of Fridays game was how we started the second half ie exactly as we finished the first half. Whelan (who admitted today that he is suffering from some niggling injuries) should have been subbed at HT. He looked as though he was carrying an injury. So did Doyle. Great attitude for turning up and being prepared to play through the pain barrier (Richard Dunne also) Especially when you think of the likes of S.Ireland and the other leg rester in Preston. Back to the game on Tuesday. I have a feeling the starting 11 will be Given
    O'Shea Dunne St Ledger Kilbane
    McGeady Gibson Green Keogh
    Long Keane

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast