Thread: Taoiseach denies being hungover on radio interview

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    People dismissing this as a non-story are missing the point of the story

There has been speculation for a few years now that Cowen aswell as Mary Harney like to have a few drinks

Hardly a crime in Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    If it's ok to crow about how wonderful he was when he talked without notes a couple of years ago, something that some people likened to climbing Everest for some bizarre reason, it's ok to highlight him sounding hungover or drunk in circumstances when he very likely actually was. In my book.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    It sounded like serious nasal congestion to me. I get some fierce bad colds because of my sinuses being a tad **** and it sounded an awful lot like that.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Up until 3am doing impressions by all accounts: http://www.mamanpoulet.com/the-silly-season-is-over/

We all need to unwind, but didn't the yellow pants do enough damage?

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Considering they have a 12 week break in which to get bladdered and do whatever the hell he wants, along with the fact he is one of the highest paid leaders in the world and raping our pockets of every last cent.
    The least he can do is show up sober.

I don't know about you all but I pay part of his wages and the least I expect from him is to respect us enough to not insult us by coming on the radio half cut.

If he wants a pint no problem but don't do not go on the radio the morning after laughing like a giddy school girl after making a mistake.

I want my money back.
    Not just because of this but he turned a blind eye when he needed to be fully focused just before the collapse.
    450,000 people on the dole cue would show up for work sober.
    Last edited by gaiscíoch; 14/09/2010 at 10:27 PM.
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    They say it was an error of judgement to have gone in to the interview....... So how many interviwes has he avoided (or advised to miss out on) cos he was nasel (hung over) previously. Apparently the reason he was on the radio was because the suits from Leinster house (his aids) we not in Galway as it was a FF do and not Government. In otherwords he bad made decision.

I heard 29/09/08 was a great night in Coppers......... Emm....... I wonder!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    We can't claim its part of our national heritage to have a rake of pints and stay up most of the night having the craic and then get upset when the global media pick up on the story and portray us a bunch of drunken layabouts.

My tuppenceworth is that it shows how out of touch politics is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,232 Posts
    Today's Daily Mail screaming about how he was singing Lakes of Ponchartrain till late at night. String him up, I say!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    There are various points here:

This 'think-in' is meant to be FF getting together and seriously analysing how the main party of government will lead the country out of the incredible mess it is currently in. How much real work would any of those who were up until 3.30 in the morning drinking be able to do the following day? How many could really have engaged fully with the presentation from NAMA for example? In the FF priority list A good party > National recovery.

Regardless of whether he was actually drunk or hung over, the interview was a pile of incoherent crap. Some of it was reminiscent of Bertie answering questions in the Dail. Cowen hides from the media most of the time, you'd think he's make some sort of effort to be prepared when he finally surfaces. Especially when the Freefall programme had pointed the finger of blame directly at the government only the night before.

Attacking Coveney is stupid. The whole country was awash with texts and messages about how Cowen sounded awful. Coveney only said what many, many people were thinking and saying. For FF to pretend otherwise is an insult to our intelligence and yet another example of everything being someone else's fault.

FF constantly give out about people talking down the country. Nobody has done a better job of doing so than Cowen yesterday morning. He made us look utterly stupid around the world. As did Conor Lenihen, the total plonker.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    This 'think-in' is meant to be FF getting together and seriously analysing how the main party of government will lead the country out of the incredible mess it is currently in. How much real work would any of those who were up until 3.30 in the morning drinking be able to do the following day? How many could really have engaged fully with the presentation from NAMA for example? In the FF priority list A good party > National recovery.
    This was my first thought.

Attacking Coveney is stupid.
    Absolutely, except politically. The party has to distract from the state he was in, and the garbage he was spouting; and it remains to be seen if the meeja will allow themselves to be distracted - again - or finally cop themselves on and focus on the real story here.

And Coveney did himself no favours by highlighting it the way he did. Simon is fast becoming his own worst enemy, every time he opens his mouth he reduces his own chances of becoming party leader.

FF constantly give out about people talking down the country. Nobody has done a better job of doing so than Cowen yesterday morning. He made us look utterly stupid around the world. As did Conor Lenihen, the total plonker.
    Martin's comments this morning are interesting, they come across as much an attack on Cowen as Coveney. Is he preparing for an attack?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post

That's very unfair. Clearly FF have decided that the route to national recovery is to give its full support to the Vintners. And I applaud them for their self-sacrifice. It's no easy job to skull pints all night, and pretend to enjoy Biffo's impressions. Although I thought his spoof as an Offaly Darth Vader yesterday was just the tonic to drive us all to drink (well, thanks to Noel Dempsey walk very carefully or take public transport), and so save our economy from sinking further into the mire.

Actually, I'm a little taken aback that people (in general, not here) really believe the think-in was a coming together of the finest minds in FF (surely an oxymoron?) to solve our economic problems. What planet are they on? It was the political equivalent of giving the troops a tot of rum before sending them over the top to be blasted into oblivion. FF are facing meltdown, and this was a panicky, boozy meeting of their branch of the Self Preservation Society.

Dahmsta, you're dead right about Coveney. He puts the "twit" in twitter. He's a privileged, never-had-to-work-a-day in his life prat. Michael Noonan's response was much better: he just said that Cowen had clearly had a late night, which was a very obvious euphemism, and a very subtle way of putting the boot in, and then he took the content of the interview to pieces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I say fair to Cowan he at least he is trying to help the economy. He is taking a decisive action at last.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Last edited by The Fly; 16/09/2010 at 3:52 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I've an "offaly" sore throat is the new "tired and emotional".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    After watching the Prime Time "discussion" on El Biffo, it's a major way to deflect from the mess FF and the pale Greens have landed us in. It looks like there is an ousting on the cards for Cowen, and you know, he should just step aside, let some eejit take over and see what they can do. It's a complete circus, agreed with the thoughts on Coveney, Noonan hit the right note, then again, he's an intelligent man and skilful politician, Coveney is the Tubridy of politics, there because of connections and making a fool of his employers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    After watching the Prime Time "discussion" on El Biffo, it's a major way to deflect from the mess FF and the pale Greens have landed us in.
    Deflect? I'm not so sure. Surely most sane people will have to consider that there is a mess, but also take into account that Cowen's perceived hi-jinx and antics do nothing to inspire confidence.

It's a complete circus...
    Absolutely. We've heard Cowen admit to it. He's talked about being "long enough in the game" and his "performance" before.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Deflect? I'm not so sure. Surely most sane people will have to consider that there is a mess, but also take into account that Cowen's perceived hi-jinx and antics do nothing to inspire confidence.

Absolutely. We've heard Cowen admit to it. He's talked about being "long enough in the game" and his "performance" before.
    Predator, I should have explained deflect - the government do this all the time (all governments do) something will be leaked out quietly, while much ado about nothing occurs. We were hit a double whammy - Lenihan and the anti-evolutionists, Biffo on the beer. If you sift through the news you'll find something of far greater consequence that was dropped under the radar, and I am pretty sure the media would be complicit in it.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking19.html

Cowen will be more 'cautious' in the future.

Funny how, when the attempt to shift focus onto Coveney and the 'new low' didn't work, he's suddenly decided he was at fault after all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast