Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Presidential Election

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    Avril is one of the old guard, so I imagine her vote would probably go to Mitchell, or with her horse industry background, maybe McGuinness. Couldn't see her giving anything to Cox.

Denis Naughton has been withdrawn from the judging panel in the FG beauty contest... Wonder who he would have voted for?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Especially if Norris doesn't get on the ticket, I think the selection of Mitchell helps Micheal D. It'll be liberal v conservative (note both without capitalisation).

I really don't think Gallagher is really in the race - he'll never escape his FF background, and that he was on the National Executive of FF up until 2010 - the others will, quite rightly, keep highlighting this and questioning his independence. He was quite poor on that last week when interviewed on the News at One, and with a journo that'd actually tease it out more he'd have been scuppered there and then.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    Padraig Ó Céidigh is weighing up his options now.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking1.html

I've always liked him. But the more independents that run, the more likely one of the parties will benefit from a split vote.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    At least we might finally have the full line up of FF stooges with Padraig O Ceidigh. Whether he's Moe, Curly or Larry, to go with Davis and Gallagher, I'm not sure.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    So Fianna Fail he turned them down for the Europeans in 2009?

"The party also sounded out Padraig O’Ceidigh, the Aer Arann chief executive; Joe McDonagh, the former GAA president; and Joe Connolly, the former Galway hurling star. Attention is now on Michael Kitt, the demoted junior minister and TD for Galway East, although his election to Europe would trigger a by-election the government would struggle to win." (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6211704.ece)

and

"Aer Arann chief Padraig O Ceidigh confirmed to the Galway Independent that he had been approached by Fianna Fail "and one other party" to run for Europe. It is thought the Labour Party may have been interested in Mr O Ceidigh. However, he had made no decision at the time of going to print, saying he was happy with his current situation regarding work and family life, and also that he needed to concentrate on Aer Arann given the current economic circumstances." (http://www.galwayindependent.com/loc...for-ff-galway/)

He's hardly FF if another party were trying to get him on its ticket. Do you know something else about him?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I think it was always more likely that he'd run for FF. They "put pressure" on him to run according to what I've read - they'd have hardly have put pressure on someone who was genuinely independent. He took over the FF tent at Ballybrit, with Bertie still guest of honour. He was involved with Frank Fahy's ridiculous economic forum, in fact I think he even chaired the thing. Any appointments to quango boards during the Bertie era, who we know only gave positions to "friends"?

How much did the Aer Arann examinership cost the state in lost revenue? How much in subsidies did Aer Arann get over the years?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I think it was always more likely that he'd run for FF. They "put pressure" on him to run according to what I've read - they'd have hardly have put pressure on someone who was genuinely independent. He took over the FF tent at Ballybrit, with Bertie still guest of honour. He was involved with Frank Fahy's ridiculous economic forum, in fact I think he even chaired the thing. Any appointments to quango boards during the Bertie era, who we know only gave positions to "friends"?

How much did the Aer Arann examinership cost the state in lost revenue? How much in subsidies did Aer Arann get over the years?
    Ah, so in your perception he was more likely to run for FF. Don’t you think you’d have to put more pressure on somebody who wasn’t a member to get them to run, especially when it’s clear that even the members don’t want to sup from the poisoned chalice of candidacy? Would another party bother trying to recruit him if he was openly known as a FF member/supporter? Just what have you read anyway? Links would be appreciated.

Could his appearance at the FF tent and Fahy’s forum be down to his position as one of Galway’s most prominent businessmen? Or must we look for conspiracy in the guest list for every bun fight that FF ever organised? I’ve been to a couple of FF bashes, but I’m in another party and would cheerfully dance on FF’s grave!

As for state appointments, I don’t know to what boards he might have been appointed. If you have time on your hands, why don’t you dig out a few back copies of the IPA Yearbook and Diary and come up with some facts and figures for us, since you raised the point?

Aer Arann got subsidies. It’s an EU rule (was it under the ERDF? Anybody know?) So did Ryanair and Aer Lingus. Actually, so did the Scottish airline, Loganair. Is everybody who ever flew a PSO route now an FF supporter too? Even the Scots???

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Ah believe what you want, just because he comes across well to you in the media. Not trying to invoke godwins, but i can't think of an equally apt analogy, but I personally think we need a de-nazification process to remove FF and their sympathisers from positions of power in the State. And for me, that includes not putting collaborators in the Park.
    Last edited by Macy; 13/07/2011 at 7:12 PM.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    Jesus wept.

I believe what there is evidence to support. I have no reason to agree with your beliefs since you've presented argument bereft of the slightest factual content, and have relied instead on emotive distortions. Give me proof of what you say rather than pot-stirring guff about denazification, sympathisers and collaborators. That might sway my belief. Otherwise this is the most blatant faux-apologetic invocation of Godwin's I've seen in a long time.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Did you miss what the treacherous scum did to the state? They or their lackey's should be no where near power. There should be a purge of anyone appointed by them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Alright lads, ye've made your points. Calm down, calm down. (In best scouse accent.)

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    If I'm mistaken about O’Ceidigh I'll withdraw the allegation about FF. Still don't think he's right for the job after what happened with Aer Arann anyway, and can't see how he'll get a nomination (unless FF actually nominate him!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Gallagher and Davis on Vincent Browne.

VB on holidays; Aunty O'Rourke presenting it. My jaw won't come up from the floor.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    You should have seen Monday's show then - it was practically a FF love-in, patting Bertie, Mansergh and Liz O'Donnell on the back for the GFA, with Trimble also on to give an appearance of "balance".

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Calm down, calm down. (In best scouse accent.)
    Thanks a whole bunch, Adam. Every time I've looked at your avatar since you posted, I've seen a great big curly perm of a wig on it! And let's not get started on the dodgy tache!!!

BTW, is there actually such a thing as a best scouse accent? Being born with the far superior () Manchester regiolect (now lost, alas!) I've often listened in dumbstruck awe at the "speak whilst swallowing wet gravel" tones of pure scouse!!

So...um... I hope we never have a president with a Lancashire accent (dodgy non-sequitur to get back on topic...sorry)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    The level-headed, intelligent folk on Kerry County Council meet today to nominate their choice for President. As well as Norris, Davis and Gallagher, some guy called Richard McSweeney is also addressing the members, so he's apparently running now.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Davis won a declaration of intent from Kerry, here's the latest Irish Times poll:

Norris 25%
    Mitchell 21%
    Higgins 18%
    Gallagher 13%
    Davis 12%
    O'Cuiv 11%

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Norris assembling his supporters outside Leinster House this morning - presumably he's now reached the magic number of 20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Wahey!!!
    What an awful day to do it. Glad he's now in.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    Is it better for DN to have 20 Oireachtas members nominating him than four councils? Was talking about this with a friend recently. Most of DN's supporters are from the independent/left side of the Oireachtas, while the candidates nominated by councils can have the FF stigma thrown at them if its members voted for them. Support from Labour supporters for the government is dropping (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...301061553.html) which might cause problems for Michael D if its supporters decide to teach the party a lesson. Could DN pick up a dissatisfied Labour vote? The transfers are going to be very, very interesting this time.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast