Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: crowe and jason byrne in ireland squad

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

crowe and jason byrne in ireland squad

just got a text update saying that glen crowe and jason byrne have been called up to the ireland squad for the poland game....well done lads
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by max power
    just got a text update saying that glen crowe and jason byrne have been called up to the ireland squad for the poland game....well done lads
    There's as yet no confirmation of this on www.fai.ie, www.soccercentral.ie or www.eleven-a-side.com. It would be good for the eL and those players if you're right, of course.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Although probably the biggest arguer against this if this is true I welcome it. A perfect opportunity to prove the likes of me wrong or right. If Crowe and Byrne do the business against the Poles I'll happily eat my words.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Against what? Calling up the best available players?

Look this isn't tokenism and no-one is saying they among the first choice strikers BUT if you're looking for the 6th/7th best strikers Ireland has, Byrne and Crowe would be up there

(cue Corkies calling for O'Flynn...)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Crowe played v Greece in a friendly and looked well capable at the level - I think people wildly overestimate the gulf in class between the top LOI players and UK based players

if it was tokenistic than kerr is an idiot - which he's not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws
    Crowe played v Greece in a friendly and looked well capable at the level - I think people wildly overestimate the gulf in class between the top LOI players and UK based players
    That hoary old chestnut has been done to death on this board. It looks like the only way to prove it one way or the other is to call some players up from the eL and see what they can do in a meaningful fixture (sorry, Crowe's appearance in a training ground exercise against Greece proves nothing). However, there's still no source that can confirm Max's original post in this thread...

PP

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Have already made my feelings clear at great length on a never ending thread last week. I hope it's not tokenism, I hope they do get half a game at very least and I hope they do prove me wrong. Will be very solid indicator if EL players can make the step up to International level.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Against what? Calling up the best available players?

Look this isn't tokenism and no-one is saying they among the first choice strikers BUT if you're looking for the 6th/7th best strikers Ireland has, Byrne and Crowe would be up there

(cue Corkies calling for O'Flynn...)
    Exactly. Me not seen Crowes name mentioned. As been argued elsewhere there are not huge options below the top 3-4 forwards.

btw O'Flynns injured so we'll wait til Romania

from fai - latest squad:

Squad: Given (Newcastle United), Colgan (Hibernian), Maybury (Hearts), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Harte (Leeds United), O'Brien (Newcastle United), O'Shea (Manchester United), Miller (Celtic), Roy Keane (Manchester United), A Reid (Nottingham Forest), S Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Quinn (Sheffield Wednesday), Barrett (Coventry City), Doyle (Coventry City), Kinsella (West Bromwich Albion), Douglas (Blackburn Rovers), Lee (Cardiff City), Byrne (Shelbourne), Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Morrison (Birmingham City).
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    That hoary old chestnut has been done to death on this board. It looks like the only way to prove it one way or the other is to call some players up from the eL and see what they can do in a meaningful fixture (sorry, Crowe's appearance in a training ground exercise against Greece proves nothing). However, there's still no source that can confirm Max's original post in this thread...

PP

fail to see your logic - so call ups for uncapped english based players to meaningless friendlies are "ok" as theyve obviously proved themselves

I happen to think friendlies are pointless and should be abolished in any case but I fail to see your point, Glen Crowe and Jason Byrne are players not representatives of a league or whatever, their current form and ability is all that counts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    I think Crowe had to have a fitness test on his hamstring today so that might be the reason it hasn't been announced yet. Think Byrne well deserves his call up, he is definitively the form striker in the league from last season and this one too. Connolly is out and Robbie Keane is still in England with a head injury. That leaves Morrison, Lee and Byrne. I'd say he'll get a run out at some stage.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As it's a friendly would probably be a good thing if Robbie and The Ant can't make it. Lee and Morrison have a lot to prove too in my opinion. Lee in particular. If Crowe is out then would be interesting to see attacking duties shared by Lee, Morrison, O'Flynn and Byrne over the course of the 90.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    fail to see your logic
    Does it really need explaining? Surely your point - and I quote:

was more of a non sequitur than mine? My point was about the endless debate, so since you spectacularly fail to see this, I'll state it again. Until we see eL players on a level playing field (pardon the dreadful pun) the argument will continue to go round and round in circles. I can only think of one LoI player in the last fifteen years - Crowe - to wear a senior shirt. And he hardly tore up trees in the process.

so call ups for uncapped english based players to meaningless friendlies are "ok" as theyve obviously proved themselves
    Get the chip off your shoulder. Where do I say this? FWIW, I'd much rather see the likes of Byrne and John O'Flynn make the step up to senior international football than see Graham Barrett and Alan Quinn appear again. Not least because i) they will be well up for it and ii) it will put this tired argument to bed once and for all.

PP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    if crowe or byrne got a call up and played well it proves only that crowe and byrne were on form and the call up justified - particular players at a particular time - it says nothing about the el in general

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Thumbs up

Get the chip off your shoulder. Where do I say this? FWIW, I'd much rather see the likes of Byrne and John O'Flynn make the step up to senior international football than see Graham Barrett and Alan Quinn appear again. Not least because i) they will be well up for it and ii) it will put this tired argument to bed once and for all.

PP[/QUOTE]

Would agree with PP about giving the EL boys a run. There's no justification whatsover for calling up both barrett or quinn....they are no use, never have been and never will be

Big up the Sergi Bubka...he was a legend
    Last edited by Littlest Hobo; 26/04/2004 at 1:11 PM.
    Never eat yellow snow!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Crowe could have been involved in the Poland game as well, though a hamstring problem is causing him problems opening the way for Byrne to earn his first call-up.
    From the FAI website. Delighted to see Byrne in the squad. Fully deserved.