Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Marathon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I'm back out tonight for my first push in over a year. Cannot wait.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Fecked up my ankle in a match four weeks ago so haven't done anything. Really wanted to run the Terenure 5 mile yesterday. Ankle is still not 100% but played 15 minutes Saturday and another game tonight. If it holds up hopefully get out for a run Wednesday. Will probably enter the Dublin Runner series and see how it goes. Really frustrating to pick up an injury when I was so happy with the progress I was making.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Hope all your running is going well. I had in mind to do the Artic Circle Marathon as I wan't to push this adventure on. Looks like financial impediment has gotten in the way so not this year. I'm doing 12-13 miles every Saturday/Sunday just by way of maintenance. I do gym work through the week. One of the difficult things with the running game is taking a break and trying to get back to the stamina and endurance and I haven't taken a break in over 3 years now. Through 2 marathons and didn't break afterward and I've just 'maintained' really.

Compromising Norway then and having a marathon in me this year I could consider Dublin. It would be good if there were a few of us up for it.

Speaking of up for it have a gawk at this lot...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gall...ng-in-pictures
    Find me on Twitter @ImRedLen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Good pics. That and mention of article circle marathon reminded me of this;

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Good pics. That and mention of article circle marathon reminded me of this;
    Looks like a Passing Interest gaining on you. Where is that sir?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Hellfire Club near Tallaght. That was Paddy's day.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Just signed up to the HM course on this event as part of my Sydney marathon training:

http://www.huntervalleymarathon.net/

It's a slightly hilly course through the vineyards here so should be good preparation for the undulating marathon course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    How is the training going then TCM?

I've decided I may take on my 3rd marathon. I'm having an ageing crisis and having just turned 34 and gone 'Where the fook has my life gone' I'm releasing it all on a next Marathon attempt. So thinking Vaxjo in Sweden in October and as I've pretty much kept myself around the half marathon running distance I'll add on a few more miles in training and go for my 3rd event. Not the worst ever use I've made of my lunch time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Went for my first 10k in ages this morning, after neglecting running completely because of the heat (yes I know I could have run in the early mornings, but that's almost worse!). My time is up to 52:40, from 47:15 back in April when I was still running regularly (although I was happy to find that when I plugged it into mapmyrun, the route I did this time was actually 10.4k, so I'm counting it as a 50:50 in my progress chart).

I then got back home to find the shower had decided to break down, and had to put my sweaty running gear back on for the 15 minute walk to the gym.

Goal for the moment is to get back below 50 minutes, and long term, to run a half marathon in under two hours (in Edinburgh last year, I did the first half in 2:04-ish).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Howya!

I'm having awful trouble getting back into the swing of things. I think it's a combo of eating and drinking atc and not getting my energy at the right time of the day. I hate eating too soon before a run but the latest I can lunch is 2PM. Anyone any ideas to counteract this issue say idf I wanted to run at about 6PM?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Howya!

I'm having awful trouble getting back into the swing of things. I think it's a combo of eating and drinking atc and not getting my energy at the right time of the day. I hate eating too soon before a run but the latest I can lunch is 2PM. Anyone any ideas to counteract this issue say idf I wanted to run at about 6PM?
    Depends how soon is too soon. I'd usually eat something fairly light but calorie dense, like an energy bar, or trail mix is great, leaves me not feeling hungry, but also not all full and bloated so I'm not in the mood for anything other than sitting putting the world to rights on foot.ie!

I find the first few runs back very hard, but it's always just a matter of forcing myself to get out there once or twice, and then I start thinking about new routes to run, places where I could pull in time, how I should pace myself, and it's not a chore any more. I have been known to trick myself by setting an alarm and going at stupid o'clock in the morning when my head's still too groggy to realise until too late that I've gone on one of those "run" things before it can convince me to procrastinate.

*salted peanuts, some manner of seeds, and raisins; a mix of both chocolate-covered and normal is brilliant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Howya!

Good evening. I'm not so sure how to answer this as I've done the same as you. I have light lunch and my dinner after my run. I sometimes get it wrong but I sometimes will know I've enough sugar/energy taken on before I go out. So today I had a doughnut and considered that my energy to burn.

For example I ran last Thursday. Was going for 6.5 miles at around 5.30 after work. It was so hot I really couldn't move and I did 4 I think in the end. I ran 10 miles this evening again having had lunch around 1 and had a doughnut in the afternoon and as it wasn't as warm I felt good and did a nice 10 miles. I'm eating dinner now.

The only thing I'd say is take something light an hour before your run. I always think carbs and sugar so make yourself a peanut butter or chocolate spread sandwich. You'll move with the slow energy release of peanut butter. Carry some jelly beans just in case you get it wrong so if your sugar levels ran low you have an emergency supply.

Just some of my basic tips. Hope they help.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    after neglecting running completely because of the heat (yes I know I could have run in the early mornings, but that's almost worse!).
    Don't worry. I consider myself experienced and I know my body but I got this so wrong so many times in the last few weeks. I rested over the weekend as I went out on Thurs evening and I thought I was carrying a bag of cement. My body can get tired. Did my regular Tuesday evening 10 miles and flew it which gives you a lift and confidence.

If you ahve a bad run put it behind you but listen to your body. If it says it's tired then listen to that and rest. You'll benefit in the long run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    At the moment I'm trying to alternate running and swimming, hopefully getting a 5k, a 10k, and two 1500 metre swims every week to keep my fitness up. Then once winter rolls round again find some football or hockey to play as well. Hopefully stop me getting bored by switching up the exercises, but today is a swim day, and I think it's encouraging that I'm a bit disappointed not to be trying out one of my new 5k routes!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Any marathons planned this year? I'm on the verge of entering the Dublin one. Retired from football over christmas with the intention of dedicating the free time to running and avoiding the niggling football injuries that kept disrupting me. Have been relatively good since January, getting out for at least 3 runs nearly every week, times are a bit behind this time last year but that's not surprising because my base was a lot lower coming into January. Ran the Great Ireland 10k yesterday in 47.53, nearly two minutes slower than last year but I thought I was going to struggle to break 50mins so was pleasantly surprised. Plan to enter the race series and the marathon on payday. Going to work on getting my 5k down over the next month or so and then start building the distance. Excited about the challenge of just completing the marathon, although I do have a goal of getting close to 3.30 in my head, even though it's probably far too ambitious.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    I've no marathons planned. I did two half marathons recently though recording 1:32 in February and then 1:31 in March. My goal this year is to do a sub 2:20 Olympic Distance triathlon (London in August) and to run a 39-something 10k. My 10k times are stubbornly stuck at the low 41 minute mark.

I think I'm becoming a runner first and foremost though so after this season I think I'll drop the triathlons and concentrate on running for the most part. In my age group I'm reasonably competitive in 5-10k. I raced cross country this winter for the first time and loved it.

I'll probably give the marathon another go but not until I go sub-40 for 10k. I did 3:30:12 in Edinburgh in the heat in 2012 so think I have a 3:20 in me.

There's a great app called the McMilllan Running Calculator which predicts your times for any distance based on recent race results over other distances. It says I should be doing 3:12 for marathon which would require a lot of training! But funnily enough my race times from the mile all the way to half marathon are within seconds of what the app predicts.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 07/04/2014 at 6:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    I like the McMillan calculator alright. And it makes me think if I really get the training right I can definitely get close to the 3.45. It was fairly close with my 5k, 10k so far so will be interesting to see if it stays consistent. Sub 40 10k is serious running in fairness. I'll be very happy if I get sub 20 5k, even under 21 I'd be pretty happy at the moment.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    Big week for me just finished. I won my club duathlon championships - all ages, not just my age category - last Sunday and I went under 40 mins for 10k today for first time (39:53). More room for improvement. Chuffed about both, and especially the former as it was my first ever duathlon.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Marathon entered and training well under way. Following a 22 week programme, it's fairly basic, 4 short runs and one long one most weeks. Feeling the benefits of getting out and running consistently and sticking to a plan. Ran the first of the race series last week and set a PB in the 5 mile of 35.26, had a target of 36 so was very pleased. It was an improvement of just over 3 minutes on the Terenure 5 mile 6 weeks earlier. 10k on the 20th July and the target there is sub 45 for another PB. Then the mileage really starts to ramp up so hopefully the body will hold up OK.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Just under seven weeks to go. Managed to stick to the training plan fairly well. One missed long run and a couple of short ones but still on track. Knees are feeling it a bit after the long runs, up to 18 miles now the plan for this Sunday is 18 miles with 10 at marathon pace. Aiming for sub 3.30 for the marathon now. I've hit my targets in all the races to date 44.47 in the 10k 74.02 in the 10 mile and set a new 5k pb last week of 20.18 (after only getting 4 miles instead of the planned 16 on the Sunday I was fresher than expected for race on Tuesday so decided to have a go on a flat course). Half marathon is on the 20th and I hope to hit around 98mins to still be on target.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast