Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sligo/Leitrim District League 2010/11

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Sligo/Leitrim District League 2010/11

Well its just under 2 weeks till the season starts, anybody got any news on new signings etc? The usual jostling has started for a few unsettled players, he's gonna sign for us, no he's already signed for us craic.

Rumours are that Quayside could be fairly strong this year and will put it up to Merville.

Anyword on fixtures??
    'I can live with disappointment, its the hope I cant handle'

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yes longshanks were nearly up and running again.
    ya i heard quayside will be fairly strong John Feeney and Ray mc manus took over they signed Keith Feeney, from city utd.
    Andrew Mc Loughlin from carbury
    David Scanlon from city. I think Danny O Leary. duno how through it is about Steve Feeney tho.
    I think city will again win the super league. Carbury will again put it up to them but they have lost a few so i tink
    it will be the same 1-2 again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I thought I'd seen the last of Keith Feeney and McLoughlin when we got relegated last year but alas they're back to torture us some more. I heard David Adams is gone to Quayside also, but I don't know how true that is considering he was City's captain last year. Can't wait to get back playing a bit of football now and hopefully start winning some games.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Just rang the fixture line and found out we have City away in our first game. We havent even had a training session yet?? all the lads are training hard with their GAA teams so its nearly impossible to organise a get together. We've a game against Merville on Thursday before our baptism of fire on sunday.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Tough one to start off with longshanks but ye have to play them some time. the gaa
    will hamper ye and it cant be good not been able to have a get together so close to the start.
    best of luck anyway
    I see quayside are playing merville on sunday 2 of the favourites meeting on da 1st day should
    be a good game.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Yeah Redz GAA could cripple us this year, will defo be missing 5 of last years starting 11 and possibly more. Might be no harm to get the likes of City/Carbury/Boyle out of the way early and hopefully have a full squad for the games where we would realistically have a better chance of picking up points. Gonna be a long season.

Quayside v Merville should be very interesting. one side could be playing catch up from the off. I heard Mervilles pitch failed the refs inspection and has been closed??

Our pitch is out of bounds for the season so we're using McSharry for our home games, i wonder will be be able to play on a non-bobbly surface

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Well we got the expected hammering from City. We were in it till half time, it 0-0, City had a few good chances our keeper played really well, but having said that the City keeper pulled off 2 great stops in the first half, we had the rub of the green a few times in the first half, but if it was to be our day we'd have gone in 2 up at half time. City scored early in the 2nd half and went 2 up about 10 mins later, we got one back and straight from the kick off City scored, that took the winf out of our sails and it was only a matter of how many City were going to get. it finished 5 - 1.

Any other scores, match info????

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No offence but only chance of points Ballygawley have is against Ballisodare, Ballymote, Aughanagh and maybe Calry and Cliffoney.

Playing in McSharry won't suit at all as better teams will pummel ye there.

Good luck though - should be fun.

Premier League is gonna be tasty this year. Considerably stronger than last year with good teams coming down to the division and up from below.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Sligobhoy(what club are you involved with),

No offence taken, and have to agree with ya, we would have to earmark the teams you mentioned as where we will hopefully pick up enough points to stay up. Bit of a daunting start to the Super League, City, Strand, Carbury in our first three games, especially when we are missing so many because of the GAA(missing 6 starters against City). But as you've mentioned we'd not be expected to take any points from those. Please God we'll be full strength for the other games.

Premier league is always tight. Great win for Merville against Quayside. Quayside are away to Cartron, they cant afford to lose that and be playing catch up this early in the season. Coolera will be there or thereabouts, along side merville, quayside, cartron. Coolaney and Carrick could be dark horses if they get off to a decent start.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Ballygawley 4 - Strand 5, probably a great game to watch for the nuetrals. Ballygawley were 2-0 at half time, could've been 4 or 5. Strand got it back to 2-2, Ballygawley then went 3-2 up and then 3-4 down, levelled it at 4-4 then Strand scored with practically last kick of the game. A Sickner. Game could've ended 10-10 there were that many missed chances by both sides. Strand play nice football and were the better team but how we didnt pick up our first point is beyond me. 2 games into the season and have already conceded 10 goals(all in the 2nd half?!?!).....

heard Carbury got out of jail, 2 goals in injury time. Any other match info??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Carbury 6 Ballygawley 1, another hiding. Face scored a screamer after 2 mins, then we gifted them 3 more goals before half time, and I mean gifted. In fairness they gifted us one back in the 2nd half. Our keeper made a few good one on one saves and kept the score down. City put up another big score, 7-0 on Ballisodare and Boyle seem to be back on track again.

Quayside lost again, whats gone wrong there?? Rumour was they were gonna be the team to beat, Coolera have max points and are looking good to bounce back into the Super League.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    oh i despair, beaten 4-0 by ballisodare. good game 0-0 at half time. we missed a sitter, 2 foot from the goal with no keeper, ball went through his legs. they scored a minute or two later, good header, from a disputed throw in. about 2 mins later we win a pen.....hits the post. a while later we had a lob of the keeper cleared off the line. then we gifted them two open goal chances which they duly took, and to put the gloss on it we rounded it off with an og. we'd wanna get our act together big time, at least from this week we've no lads involved with gaa.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Should be some tight games in the Super League this week. Strand v Carbury, Aughanagh v Ballymote, Ballygawley v Yeats, Cliffoney v City, Boyle v Calry.

I'd imagine both Boyle and City should win. the other three games good go either way, but I'd expect Carbury to shade it against Strand. A win for Aughanagh could put them up to 4th/5th but a win for Ballymote would put them 6th. Ballygawley really need to pick up the 3 points against Yeats, I'll go for 2 draws in them games.

Wait and see there'll be 5 comfortable wins to make a mockery of my predictions!?!?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    big result yesterday carbury beating city 2-0 title race back on. carbury well worth the victory dominated the game
    city didnt play up to there usual standard then again carbury didnt let them play
    city maybe took there eye off the ball. good result for ballygawley against boyle.
    also good results for quayside and merville in the connacht cup.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    yeah heard Carbury were good value for the win, opens up the league a bit. Ballymote are on a bit of a roll, 5 wins on the bounce. Carbury are away to them next week. We picked up our 1st point, should've been 3 really, still its something.

Merville, Quayside, Cartron and Leitrim Villa mad it to the 3rd round of the Connacht Cup, only Coolera remain in the Shield, I'd give them a great chance of winning it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Any players joining sligo youths to play in the new Connaght youth league?
    will it effect sligo in the u-18 inter league? Starts w/e7th nov

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by renovater View Post
    Any players joining sligo youths to play in the new Connaght youth league?
    will it effect sligo in the u-18 inter league? Starts w/e7th nov
    Havent heard anything about it

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Kill the fat calf...........ballygawley picked up 3 points against Calry Bohs this morning, a scrappy 2-1 win, poor game of football with a late winner. A good win for Yeats too, city and carbury stretch their lead at the top.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshanks View Post
    Havent heard anything about it
    Well you might have notice Sligo Rover u.18 are in fai youth cup
    also there is connaght inter league Youth team Sligo Rovers Galway utd Ballina town.
    Galway clubs Salthill Devon Mervue won't allow there players to play in the inter league side due to the success of galway inter league team, but will part take in a Connaght youth league, if it gets off the ground due to fixture congestion

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Ballygawley beat Manor 3-2 in a ding dong game in McSharry Park on Sat night. Celtic were 1 up at ht, Manor scored a cracker to level, Ballygawley went 2-1 up, Manor equalised with a great free-kick. In injury time Manor had a great chance to win it but it was a weak shot into the keepers hands, from the keepers throw out Ballygawley got their 3rd goal. From the tip off Manor went up and would've scored but for a great goal saving block, the resultant corner was cleared and the ref blew up. Ballygawley has 0pts after 8 games and now have picked up 7pts from the last 3 games. Ballygawley have rode their luck over the last 3 games but were kinda luckless in their first 8 games. Hopefully we can keep this momentum up over the next few weeks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast