Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions League/Europa League draws 2010

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Dead right to keep it in Tallaght. Those are the nights to remember. And Shams are starting to add some fond memories to their new home (YES I SAID NEW HOME) - Its theirs no matter what anyone says.

Delighted. Brilliant for the league!

Sligo Rovers Fan in Australia.

2. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Well Rovers will just have to wait until May to play a Europa League game in the Aviva. They're dead right to keep it in Tallaght and look after their own fans. Day trippers going to the Aviva prob wouldn't even be able to find Tallaght stadium after.

It reminds me of the time that City were playing Red Star Belgrade. If they had won that game then AC Milan were in the next round. I remember a guy I know, big into football, goes to all Ireland games, but never darkened the door of Turners Cross, and he asked me could I get him a ticket should they progress. Sickening to think that there is people like that who take tickets of the real fans.
    Amusing really. LoI supporters bemoan the fact that the League doesn't get pitched or presented to a wider audience but when there is a chance they say "Get lost, this is ours and we don't want to share it with others (i.e. "bar stoolers"). A bit like Gollum and the ring. "Precious, this is mine"

I am not sure by the way Juve would be such a huge attraction. The old lady of Italian football is somewhat tired and weather beaten.

By my reckoning the Rovers result over the two legs was probably the best result of a LoI team in Europe that I can remember. To go away and win was phenominal.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    i wouldnt worry about barstoolers, my view looking at it is our clubs need all the money they can get and from a business viewpoint if they can make more money moving it then thats more than acceptable. obvisouly it would be great for it to be held in tallaght for the shams fans.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Rovers should keep the game in Tallaght something I have seen with Pats is that bigger clubs hate small venues ie Elfsborg,Sovetov for us, and you can have temp stands the stand behind the goal in richmond was used for for Krylia Sovetov game which was the same round in europe as this rovers game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Amusing really. LoI supporters bemoan the fact that the League doesn't get pitched or presented to a wider audience but when there is a chance they say "Get lost, this is ours and we don't want to share it with others (i.e. "bar stoolers"). A bit like Gollum and the ring. "Precious, this is mine"
    Calls for it to be played, at short notice, in the 'aviva' are one thing. Calls from people who had no interest - when the first leg was played, when the draw was made, when the result was heard and right up until the opponents in the next round were mentioned - are another thing.

Oh, and there won't be any europa league matches at the 'aviva'. Ask uefa where the final is being played.

I am not sure by the way Juve would be such a huge attraction. The old lady of Italian football is somewhat tired and weather beaten.
    It's enough to attract posters who don't normally darken this corner of foot.ie

By my reckoning the Rovers result over the two legs was probably the best result of a LoI team in Europe that I can remember. To go away and win was phenominal.
    You have a short memory.

And before I forget, well done to rovers.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    A barstooler showing up for one glamour game every 6/7 years is hardly going to help the league.
    You must not be following LOI teams in Europe that long. Its not the first time that a LOI side has won away from home.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D.24saint View Post
    Rovers should keep the game in Tallaght something I have seen with Pats is that bigger clubs hate small venues ie Elfsborg,Sovetov for us, and you can have temp stands the stand behind the goal in richmond was used for for Krylia Sovetov game which was the same round in europe as this rovers game.
    That stand isn't temporary (officially)

Its hard not to sound begrudging when you correct people that last night wasn't the best result ever, isn't it? I don't think it was but then I'm biased in that I think Pats getting by Russian opposition is far better. I think Derry beating Gothenburg home & away is the best set of results too. Shels getting by the Croatian champions is another obvious high

None of these detract by a fantastic result by Rovers last night and of course, their reward couldn't be higher.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    No.
    LOI bemoan the fact that Irish "soccer" fans dont support their domestic league and choose to support Corporations in England.
    So to think that we should indeed get down on one knee and be ohh so worthy to accept the curreny of the barstooler who has done nothing for Irish football and merely wants to bandwagon on a great night to be a LOI fan and more specifically a Shams fan is really quite astounding, but understandable from a barstooler perspective.
    Its quite similar to the likes of real Football fans in England who have to deal with inflated ticket prices and increased demand for high profile games when day trippers from Ireland pay their bi-annual visit to support "their" (no sniggering down the back) team.
    Ya well I disagree with you there.
    We shall see who will be proven right on the night.
    Ridiculous.
    It was a great result but the likes of the Derry result against Gothenburg or when they hammered Gretna, or Pats against Sovetov, the results by Cork where they bet Malmo and NEC Nijmegen, Shels beating Hajduk etc I would all rank above beating Bnei Yehuda.
    That is not to diminish the result for Shams though, great result.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Another thing, the match against Juve is not going to convince the barstoolers to come to more LOI games. If Rovers get a result we will just here "ah Italian football is gone to sh*t", if Juve hammer Rovers, it'll be "what do you expect, LOI is sh*t".

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    In fairness I'm not sure thats the case witha club as big as Juve. While some may think that, there's no doubting a win against a club like that would help Rovers in their PR battle in a huge, huge way. How it helps the rest of the league is debateable
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Well yeah. I meant the league as a whole. It would obviously be great for Rovers.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    What are the odds on getting a draw at home? Think ill put my money where my mouth is.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Agree with you Paul, can see a 0-0 at home and a 2-0 defeat away.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but Rovers are actually going to try and win the game, right?

Winning is the aim of football, right?

Giving up home advantage in a European tie is just madness. Especially as most of the Juve players will have more experience of Lansdowne Road than our players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Especially as most of the Juve players will have more experience of Lansdowne Road than our players.

Who let them in there?

I agree with your overall point tho. Its a pity they can't set the stadium up like the Real madrid Friendly like they had last season .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but Rovers are actually going to try and win the game, right?

Winning is the aim of football, right?

Giving up home advantage in a European tie is just madness. Especially as most of the Juve players will have more experience of Lansdowne Road than our players.
    None of them will have any experience of Aviva, and home advantage is more to do with logistics and support rather than the actual stadium or pitch

Regardless, it should be in Tallaght.
    ---

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That bit might have been taking it a bit far, but the main point is that big stadiums are more suited to big teams like Juve. And I disagree about the rest - you don't think Fingal would have benefited from playing Maritimo on their own pitch (unimpressive though it is)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    you don't think Fingal would have benefited from playing Maritimo on their own pitch (unimpressive though it is)?
    Nope, if anything the better surface at Dalymount helped them
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Surely it would have helped the others more? Technically a lot better from what I've seen of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    From the Guardian:

"We do not know Shamrock Rovers and therefore we have to study them through videos" - Juventus forward David Lanzafame looks forward to next week's Big Vase third round qualifier against Irish side Shamrock Rovers in Robbie Keane's hometown of Tallaght. If Juventus lose, they won't be the first Old Lady to have been mugged in the notoriously rough Dublin village.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...goran-eriksson

Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast