Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Damn Horns

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Damn Horns

The horns in the background are a pain in the asre. Makes a difference if you:

Turn Treple UP (to +15 on my TV)
    Turn Bass DOWN (to -15 on my TV)
    Turn on CLEAR VOICE option.

Helps a little.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    They are a pain in the hole alright. Kills any atmosphere. They arent as loud on BBC's coverage though.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Im actually sort of used to the horns by now, the only time i ever notice them is when someone in my family complains about them
    Ahhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran W View Post
    Im actually sort of used to the horns by now, the only time i ever notice them is when someone in my family complains about them
    Same as that.... i've been playing the WC game(PS3) for the past 2mths and don't even hear them in that anymore(either)
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I suppose one will get used to it, annoying as it is. Must be terrible to be at the games, must be hard to get a few chants going above that din

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    what I dont get is why would you pay to go to a game and blow the horn the whole time? So stupid.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Like Gilberto Fifa WC2010 helps you build up a tolerance. I don't know what would happen at a game but I can cope at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    You get used to it very very quickly, beer helps.
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...10/8737455.stm

South Africa's World Cup organising chief Danny Jordaan may ban vuvuzelas from inside stadiums after complaints from broadcasters and supporters.
    The constant sound of the high-pitched horn-like instrument has so far drowned out much of the atmosphere-generating singing usually associated with games.
    And Jordaan, when asked if he would get rid of them, told BBC Sport: "If there are grounds to do so, yes.
    "We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action."
    France captain Patrice Evra has already blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas, which has been likened to the drone of thousands of bees, for his side's poor showing in their opening group game against Uruguay, which finished goalless.

He said: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am.
    "We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."
    Jordaan conceded that while the noise was irritating for some people, they were doing all they could to minimise the impact.
    "We've tried to get some order," he continued. "We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult but we're trying to manage the best we can.

"We've had some broadcasters and individuals [complaining] and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going basis."
    Jordaan admitted he was not a huge fan of them himself. "I would prefer singing," he said.
    "It's always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would try to encourage them to sing.
    "In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history it's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    yeah on RTE's coverage yesterday they said there had been a complaint call a minute to them about the vuvuzela's.
    Christ some people must have nothing to moan about if they are ringing up RTE to complain.

Why can't the get off there arses and complain to the government about they way they have F*cked the country instead of idiotic things like horns being blown in another continent.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    France captain Patrice Evra has already blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas, which has been likened to the drone of thousands of bees, for his side's poor showing in their opening group game against Uruguay, which finished goalless.
    He said: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am.

What a crock of crap, France are staying here http://www.pezula.com/
    You can't get within a mile of the resort without getting through 24 hour security
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Turn on ESPN classics and listen to the vuvuzelas on south africa nightly, its crazy
    Ahhh

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tippex View Post
    yeah on RTE's coverage yesterday they said there had been a complaint call a minute to them about the vuvuzela's.
    Christ some people must have nothing to moan about if they are ringing up RTE to complain.
    I've been watching the games on ESPN here in the US and then switching back and forth to RTE for the analysis. The Yanks have done something to muffle the sound because I definitely notice the vuvuzuelas more on RTE and BBC than on ESPN. Having said that you still can't hear the crowd chanting or singing at all. They probably just lowered the sound effects in the audio-mix. I'll be at a few games later in the tournament so may bring some ear-plugs in my pocket just in case it becomes unbearable.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hey east terracer, I'm watching the games on espn3 (online) and watch the RTE highltes later when it appears on their website, is there a live stream of the RTE analysis available (worldwide) so i can just switch over at half time and the end?
    oh and the horns are crap!!
    we looked from Montrose to Swords, from swords to Montrose and from Montrose to Swords again but already it was impossible to spot UCDs right winger

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I absolutely no problem with the din, you get used to it very quickly. I have a big problem with the near total negation of the fan's input.

There is little noticable change in sound when there is an attack, a hard tackle or an incident etc. and it makes the whole occassion seem quite dull. I always enjoy the singing of competing sets of fans when watching on television and the vuvuzelas all but remove this facet. If we had qualified and I'd been there, I would have been extremely p!ssed off being unable to make any audible noise.

Also, having been unaware of this aspect of the South African game, I had been looking forward to a World Cup with unique dancing, singing and rhythms that you commonly get in the Cup of Nations. While the drone is also unique and maybe should be appreciated as such, I think it is hugely detrimental to the World Cup experience.
    <insert witty remark>

17. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    The vuvuzelas haven't annoyed me on telly - I think I've managed to filter them out. However, a child on our street seems to have got hold of one - and he's been running up and down the street all afternoon blowing the feckin' thing. Now that has been very annoying!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.untitled View Post
    Hey east terracer, I'm watching the games on espn3 (online) and watch the RTE highltes later when it appears on their website, is there a live stream of the RTE analysis available (worldwide) so i can just switch over at half time and the end?
    oh and the horns are crap!!
    If you're outside Europe I think you will need a European IP address to get the live stream. Otherwise take a look here http://www.rte.ie/sport/worldcup/ebu_cbp.html

I'm using a slingbox so its a direct link between my computer and a friend's TV back in Dublin but it's not possible to share the signal.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    what I dont get is why would you pay to go to a game and blow the horn the whole time? So stupid.
    I did some maths on this. If everyone in a 45000 crowd has one (Are they given out free in the ground? Don't know that), and if everyone blows on it once for two seconds as a "What's this sound like?" experiment, you'd have 16 horns on average going off at any one time. That's if everyone just blows once, realises they're crap and puts them away.

There's so many of the fecking things in the grounds that you can leave them alone for 95% of the time and yet there's still a massive amount of them going off at any one time.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I did some maths on this. If everyone in a 45000 crowd has one (Are they given out free in the ground? Don't know that), and if everyone blows on it once for two seconds as a "What's this sound like?" experiment, you'd have 16 horns on average going off at any one time. That's if everyone just blows once, realises they're crap and puts them away.
    They're impressive stats stu,you have too much time on yer hands

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That's based on the assumption that all those people will chose to test them out for two seconds at different stages during the game though, which means that at least 16 people would have waited until the final minute, and after they've heard 44,000 people all round them experiment, before deciding to give them a toot to find out what they sound like.

Isn't it more likely that the majority who get them for free (like you, I don't know if that happens or not) would test them out in the first 5 minutes, or even before the game starts? So we should hear thousands at the start, and very few or none at the end.

Yours,

Pedantor.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast