Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: World Cup predictions

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    I saw the Dutch three times when I was out there (vs Japan, Slovakia and Brazil) and on each occasion their tricky play prized open stubbon opposition.

For all the noshingoff about the "lovely passing game" the Spanish play they've yet to really dismantle a team (save Honduras) - eeking past a 10 man Chile, an ineffective Portugal and a sadly labouring German team by a single goal. Plucky Paraguay gave them a real test and the Spanish floundered but for the aid of a bizzare series of ricochets off the posts.
    Surely you can say exactly the same as what you said about the Dutch about Spain?

A sadly labouring Germany? An ineffective Portugal? Maybe Spain made them labouring and ineffective? Against Portugal and Paraguay, Spain's "tricky play prized open stubborn opposition". Both Holland and Spain beat a team with a goal rom a corner.

I think the Dutch also had their fair share of lucky breaks, probably more: OG to open the scoring against Denmark, goalie blunder v Japan, goalie blunder / OG / red card v Brazil, deflected goal v Uruguay. I doubt you'll ever find a team that reaches a WC Final that hasn't had a few breaks. In fact I thought Spain were unlucky against Switzerland.

Sounds like you were at some good games - very jealous!
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 08/07/2010 at 8:26 AM.

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    It was never a penalty, he'd lost control of the ball it would have been ridiculously harsh.

Spain were good, composed, patient and pretty clinical the chance at the end that Pedro should have played in Torres apart, I think they were comfortably the better side. As always you can't score without the ball, the Spanish possession game may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's damned effective.
    I think it's no coincidence that Spain's goals in the KO rounds have all come after 70 minutes (I think). Teams get worn out chasing the ball & "that one chance" always seems to come. They seem to be able to increase the tempo when necessary and there was a 15-20 minute spell early in the second half last night where Germany couldn't contain them - though it could be said that most of thye chances they craeted were shots from 18 yards.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Can't agree with previous posters that it was a brilliant game last night. Spain are a superb team, but they very rarely seem to bother playing. Yes, they controlled possession, yes they completely blunted a very decent German side, but 1 90-minute exercise in keep-ball doesn't make for entertaining football. Spain scored from a set-piece, wasted a couple of other decent chances by trying to walk the ball into the net and didn't in the end of the day create anywhere near as much as their possession and ability deserved. I thought it was a dull enough game to sum up a dull enough World Cup.

The only time Spain have really played, I thought, was when 1-0 down to Switzerland and they had to play; they played some lovely incisive stuff then and were unlucky not to score in that game. Last night was tedium by comparison.

5. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Did anyone else think that was not a peno for Germany?? Couldnt believe the whole panel thought it was.
    The whole of the BBC Panel who showed that the clip on the back of the leg was outside the box (he fell inside). I found it amusing that Dunphy, who had a look at the incident at least 5 times, never noticed this castigated the referee (mind you he didn't give a free at all) and said that he hoped "some clown didn't spoil the Final". Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile!!

I was surprised how dominant Spain was. I think Germany tried to do an Inter Milan. Allow possession to the other side and hit them on the break. If the German chance, when it was 0-0, had fallen to Klose, it might have been a different story. In the second half, when it was 0-0, all the Spanish chances were only half chances with shots from outside the box.

ANyone else notice that not one of the Spanish players sung the national anthem, not even the Real Madrid players. What was that all about?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    One other interesting thing I've noticed - taking off star players shortly before the end. Spain took off Villa with ten to go; if Germany had equalised, Spain would have been in extra time with no Villa (who'd scored all bar one of their goals prior to the semis I think?). Uruguay had a right go in injury time at bringing the game to extra time, but they'd have played it without Forlan, and Holland without Robben. Just a random observation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    ANyone else notice that not one of the Spanish players sung the national anthem, not even the Real Madrid players. What was that all about?

Might be something to do with the Spanish national anthem having no lyrics. Obviously I'm just guessing here.

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I was thinking the same re-late substitutions. Taking a leaf out of Stan's "how to protect a lead in Bratislava" book. At least the Dutch were 2 ahead I suppose, but they still had a major wobble.

Disagree on the quality of the game though. I thought it was gripping. Tight games of utmost importance don't need lots of goalmouth incident. I thought the skill level on display was very high.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    One other interesting thing I've noticed - taking off star players shortly before the end. Spain took off Villa with ten to go; if Germany had equalised, Spain would have been in extra time with no Villa (who'd scored all bar one of their goals prior to the semis I think?). Uruguay had a right go in injury time at bringing the game to extra time, but they'd have played it without Forlan, and Holland without Robben. Just a random observation.
    I find this trend quite staggering also. Its a gamble that could seriously backfire

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Might be something to do with the Spanish national anthem having no lyrics. Obviously I'm just guessing here.
    Aah, although I heard the fans singing in the background. Must be unofficial lyrics.

FIFA/UEFA must do something some these substitutions in injury time. They totally break up the rhythm of the game near the end and the ref very seldom adds on the correct amount of time. I counted the time they took once and the ref was over 30 seconds short. Not sure what the solution is though. Can't add on extra time because the losing team would then start substituting. Perhaps no substitutions can be made in injury time. Hmmmm, not sure that would work.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    any word on who is reffing the final?
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Disagree on the quality of the game though. I thought it was gripping. Tight games of utmost importance don't need lots of goalmouth incident. I thought the skill level on display was very high.
    We'll have to agree to disagree so. There's some ball jugglers at UCD games regularly - superb control and some nice tricks. If I want to watch excellent technique on its own, I'll watch them for a while; maybe join in a game of head tennnis with them. In a real game, that's worth nothing without some manner of incision; not lethargic keep-the-ball-till-ye-get-tired stuff. Yes, the skill level was very high, but as you said, the goalmouth action was minimal, and that's where most of the interesting things happen.

It's frustrating more than anything else, I think. I've seen La Liga games with a similar emphasis on ball retention, and I've seen Espanyol use it to absolutely rip through Villarreal, for example (the only La Liga game I've actually been at). That game was a joy to watch. Spain all World Cup have had none of that outside of an occasional spurt here or there. You get the feeling they could destroy any team in the world if they wanted to. Even Brazil 1970. But they just don't want to. It's not gripping, it's not exciting - it's dull.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think one of the major themes of this WC has been how well drilled everyone is without the ball. Lesser teams than Spain (e.g., Italy) wouldn't have been able to make the breakthrough. They're victims of their own success to a degree because nobody will attempt to play an expansive game against them.

If this was just a regular mid-season league game I'd agree with you. But context is huge - it was as almost as big a game as it gets and there was a fascinating conflict in styles & tactics. Spain's defending was excellent as was their willingness to win the ball back.

I watched footage of 74 and 78 recently & the goalkeeping was laughable, but there were more goals. I know which I'd prefer.

Anyway, happy to agree to disagree as you say!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Spain's defending was excellent as was their willingness to win the ball back.
    The thing that impressed me most about them. Against Portugal Villa & Torres harried the Portuguese back 4 every time they had the ball forced them to play hurried passes that invariably got cut out by Alonso or Busquets (hugely underrated player) they are very much a collective effort both with and without the ball
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I was thinking the same re-late substitutions. Taking a leaf out of Stan's "how to protect a lead in Bratislava" book. At least the Dutch were 2 ahead I suppose, but they still had a major wobble.

Yes, I agree. Very good game. Probably the best game I've seen in 2010 WC. Did'nt think much of analysis though. What game were they watching? Alonso had a very good game and his contribution was utterly dismissed.
    Sad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Aah, although I heard the fans singing in the background. Must be unofficial lyrics.
    The fans were singing the tune.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    One other interesting thing I've noticed - taking off star players shortly before the end. Spain took off Villa with ten to go; if Germany had equalised, Spain would have been in extra time with no Villa (who'd scored all bar one of their goals prior to the semis I think?)...
    They replaced him with Fernando Torres. Is that really so shocking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Fernando Torres who's been badly off form all tournament? It's not shocking - that's a bit of tabloidism I don't expect from you - but if you're only 1-0 up with ten minutes to go in a game which could see extra time, I don't think it makes sense to take off the player who's scored all bar one of your goals. When I saw Torres coming on, I assumed it'd be for Pedro, who replaced him in the starting line-up. It just seemed an unnecessary risk to take.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Question re-Germany: does anyone know if any of the German U19 team that beat us 1-0 at Dalyer in 2007 (there was very little between the teams) went on to the winning German U21 team or even the current senior team?

Tets???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Question re-Germany: does anyone know if any of the German U19 team that beat us 1-0 at Dalyer in 2007 (there was very little between the teams) went on to the winning German U21 team or even the current senior team?

Tets???
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...ive&Itemid=355

Just Boateng and Kroos from the senior team.

25. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I don't usually have much time for Tony Cascarino's regular EPL comments in The Times, but I'm glad I read his piece this morning, saying that this has been his favourite WC for 20 years. This is beacuse of the large number of interesting tactical games and the ability of lesser teams to compete with the bigger teams with bigger stars due to fitness, discipline & organisation. That's how I've felt, though I know it's not shared by many here. I'd also add that thankfully there have been none of the ludicrous mismatches we've had in past World Cups. One of the other Times writers was moaning about the WC not being as good as the Champions League. I think it's far more engaging.

I don't like Gabriele Marchotti much either, far too pleased with himself, but I agree with his suggestion that WC play offs should be across regional confederations, though politically it may be hard to push through.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast