Thread: Training camp and May friendlies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofjames View Post
    David Meyler?

Started again for Sunderland today.
    He's got a bit of an edge to his game...saw him get under Barry's skin there with a little bit of afters...I'm fine with the edge as long as it's controlled and calculated. Not too sure whether that's the case though!
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    He's got a bit of an edge to his game...saw him get under Barry's skin there with a little bit of afters...I'm fine with the edge as long as it's controlled and calculated. Not too sure whether that's the case though!
    The GAA influence is pretty obvious! Ridiculous they got booked for what was just a little bit of pushing and shoving.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    What would be the point of calling up someone like Alan Lee at 32. If that's the case we might as well call up Dominic Foley.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I've seen Meyler play for 21 and again yesterday. I think he is definitely one for the future and should be included in the training camp. The boy has attitude and looked very assured yesterday.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    What would be the point of calling up someone like Alan Lee at 32. If that's the case we might as well call up Dominic Foley.
    Lee might not be a youngster, but he's playing well at a decent level, and offers a different kind of option. Not arguing he's any more than a journeyman pro, but so was Quinner arguably, and either one is a nice option to see in the dugout with 15 minutes left if you need a goal
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    Not arguing he's any more than a journeyman pro, but so was Quinner arguably
    Niall Quinn?? I really hope youre not trying to categorise Niall Quinn as a journeyman pro?! He had 3 "premiership" clubs in his career averaged roughly one goal every four games and was a legend at all three! (i hope i havent missed something but i geuinely cant see how Quinn was a journeyman...)

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    In terms of level of play (not style), I would compare Niall Quinn to Robbie Keane. Both of them scored plenty of goals, but never really won anything significant (in terms of trophies, they both have a League Cup win only, if I'm correct). The majority of Premier League teams would like to have them, but the elite teams would probably have no use for them.

The best either of them placed in the league during a full season* was fifth, and both of them played significant roles (Quinn scored 20+ as Manchester City came fifth, Keane was Spurs's top scorer as they came fifth).

*I realize Quinn was part of the Arsenal squad that won the league in 1989, but he didn't play enough games to win a medal so I've omitted that.
    Last edited by irishfan86; 16/03/2010 at 1:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    In terms of level of play (not style), I would compare Niall Quinn to Robbie Keane. Both of them scored plenty of goals, but never really won anything significant (in terms of trophies, they both have a League Cup win only, if I'm correct). The majority of Premier League teams would like to have them, but the elite teams would probably have no use for them..
    But theyre the two top scorers ever for Ireland. Thats all i really care about - have we ever had an "elite" striker considered in the top 5 of the premier league? No. Probably never will either.

I dont really get your point, all i was saying was that Quinn was not a jouneyman by any strech of the imagination.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    I think you've misunderstood my post. Absolutely neither should be considered journeymen, and they are both legends in my eyes; however, I disagree with your point that we will never have an elite striker -- that seems a bizarre assertion.

Would absolutely love to have Niall Quinn in his peak right now, we saw flashes of what Robbie and Niall could do together in the short overlap of their international careers -- too bad it wasn't over the span of a decade or we'd be scoring a lot more goals.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    But theyre the two top scorers ever for Ireland. Thats all i really care about - have we ever had an "elite" striker considered in the top 5 of the premier league? No. Probably never will either.

I dont really get your point, all i was saying was that Quinn was not a jouneyman by any strech of the imagination.
    I would argue that Robbie has been in top five. He's the 10th top overall scorer in PL history.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Liam Miller not included in your list? Playing very well for Hibs and Im sure his confidence is sky high. I know the disdain that is generally attached to the mention of Miller in a Green shirt these days but it would seem strange not to include him. Hes just turned 29, so age is not a factor. Not sure if there was any comment around his omission from the squad for the Brazil game?
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    I think you've misunderstood my post. Absolutely neither should be considered journeymen, and they are both legends in my eyes; however, I disagree with your point that we will never have an elite striker -- that seems a bizarre assertion.

Would absolutely love to have Niall Quinn in his peak right now, we saw flashes of what Robbie and Niall could do together in the short overlap of their international careers -- too bad it wasn't over the span of a decade or we'd be scoring a lot more goals.
    Yeah, i thought at the time that maybe i had misunderstood your post. And i agree totally about the Quinn/Keane partnership. Worked a treat. Quinn reminded me of Crouch - big man (obviously) but great technique and deceptively good with his feet. Referees hated him though (except for WC02 against Spain ).

Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I would argue that Robbie has been in top five. He's the 10th top overall scorer in PL history.
    yep CR - youre absolutely right.

to both of you, I guess my definition of elite striker is a little different though - Drogba, Rooney, Torres, Tevez - you know, the ones that the commentators cream themselves over while basically ignoring the rest. I never thought Keane got the recognition he deserved thogh he is easily the closest we have come to producing a top striker. My love of Keane is well documented here.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Thats all i really care about - have we ever had an "elite" striker considered in the top 5 of the premier league? No. Probably never will either.

John Aldridge was a top five club striker at Liverpool. Stapleton at Arsenal and Man Utd, and dare I mention Don Givens? QPR were runners up when he played there and regular top five contenders in the early to mid 70's

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    The GAA influence is pretty obvious! Ridiculous they got booked for what was just a little bit of pushing and shoving.
    Either it's the GAA influence or the Cattermole influence. Or a lethal combination of both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    John Aldridge was a top five club striker at Liverpool. Stapleton at Arsenal and Man Utd, and dare I mention Don Givens? QPR were runners up when he played there and regular top five contenders in the early to mid 70's
    premier league....

edit: youre right of course and i thought of Stapo and Aldridge last night when i was posting but english footie was a different beast back then in my opinion.
    Last edited by SkStu; 16/03/2010 at 6:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Niall Quinn?? I really hope youre not trying to categorise Niall Quinn as a journeyman pro?! He had 3 "premiership" clubs in his career averaged roughly one goal every four games and was a legend at all three! (i hope i havent missed something but i geuinely cant see how Quinn was a journeyman...)
    Thats why I said "arguably". but if you want me to play devils advocate, then consider the following. He played for 2 average Premiership sides, and was relegated with both them, and never made it at Arsenal, so much so that he didn't get a league winners medal in 89 because he hadn't played in enough games.

Like I say, I'm playing Devils advocate, and I think the guy is a legend, but getting back to the main point, its handy to have a big gangly striker about the place, and 32 is no age at all for someone to come on for 20 minutes at the end of the game. When the 35 year old Quinner of '02 went on in Ibaraki he was well past his best, but he proved to be the thorn in the side of the most miserly defence in the tournament that day.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    Thats why I said "arguably". but if you want me to play devils advocate, then consider the following. He played for 2 average Premiership sides, and was relegated with both them, and never made it at Arsenal, so much so that he didn't get a league winners medal in 89 because he hadn't played in enough games.

Like I say, I'm playing Devils advocate, and I think the guy is a legend, but getting back to the main point, its handy to have a big gangly striker about the place, and 32 is no age at all for someone to come on for 20 minutes at the end of the game. When the 35 year old Quinner of '02 went on in Ibaraki he was well past his best, but he proved to be the thorn in the side of the most miserly defence in the tournament that day.
    glad that we both agree he's a legend. WRT his time at Arsenal, wasnt he 17/18 when he signed and broke through at 20/21 - he was then a regular in the team up until 1989 when Alan Smith was signed and went on to have a fantastic season that saw Quinner pushed out of the starting 11. He actually had a fairly decent goals to appearances record for Arsenal. My only disagreement with your post was categorising him as a journeyman (oh, and lumping him in there with Alan Lee!) as he doesnt fit my definition of a journeyman... thats all. He's a legend alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    Clinton Morrisson for the training camp anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Clinton Morrisson for the training camp anyone?
    31 games for Ireland and 9 goals. He has had a decent run in the Championship this year and Coventry are just outside the playoffs.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    He's got a similar goalscoring record (basically 1 goal per every 3 starts) for Coventry this season. Probably never should have been dropped from the squad in the first place. Not to say he's a superstar, but he always played well for us, and the players who have come in for him haven't exactly done any better...

23. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast