Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012 - Fixtures Meeting

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Euro 2012 - Fixtures Meeting

Seems the Russians have pulled rank!! Fixtures meeting for Euro 2012 to be held in Moscow March 16th!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Its always the top seeds get to host the fixtures meeting afaik.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl in Green View Post
    Seems the Russians have pulled rank!! Fixtures meeting for Euro 2012 to be held in Moscow March 16th!!!
    Have you got a source on this? I only ask because it was posted on ybig that the meeting was due to take place this Saturday, but that it wasn't as yet an absolute definite. Out of curiosity I rang the FAI this morning and they confirmed this to be the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I posted the info on YBIG, which now appears to be wrong even though confirmed by receptionist in the FAI.

It looks like the meeting is now Mar 16th in Moscow.

THe same girl in the FAI that yesterday said it was confirmed for Sat now claims she doesnt know anything. (maybe Manuel from Barcelona's sister)

If the Russians and Slovaks cant even agree on a poxy meeting, the fixtures could take ages to sort out! Complete pain in the ass
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I never reveal my sources..........lets just say I have good contacts!!!!!!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Fair enough. March the 16th it is then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    If the Russians and Slovaks cant even agree on a poxy meeting, the fixtures could take ages to sort out! Complete pain in the ass
    Which could be good for the FAI, given that we're not stuck in the same gash position we've been in for a while with regard to needing to play at home on specific dates.

There is more room to manoeuver now, which could be a blessing. Also the dates that are available, plus the type of opposition means you could put a run of away games together without it being defeatist.
    I think this could be our time, in terms of getting a good fixture list, and a good group. I'm so bloody excited.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Its always the top seeds get to host the fixtures meeting afaik.
    Think the last one was in Sofia, I also remember one in Dublin, and we were never top seeds....were we?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SUB of the day View Post
    I also remember one in Dublin, and we were never top seeds....were we?
    We were top seeds the time we had Russia and Switzerland in our group. Didn't do us much good though!
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    IIRC we were also top seeds for Euro96 and for France98. Again it didn't do us much good.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    IIRC we were also top seeds for Euro96 and for France98. Again it didn't do us much good.
    Top seeds indeed for Euro 1996, however Portugal beat us to top spot and we know what happened in the play off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Eu...fying#Seedings

I think Romania were the first seeds in our group for 1998. Same result though, second in group followed by playoff disaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_FI...ing_.28UEFA.29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl in Green
    That's the Russians showing how awkward they're going to be in this group. On and off the pitch. Scotland got theirs sorted out already.

What I'd like:

September 2010:
    Russia (a)

October 2010:
    Slovakia (h)
    Armenia (h)

March 2011:
    Armenia (a)
    Macedonia (h)

June 2011:
    Macedonia (a)

September 2011:
    Slovakia (a)
    Andorra (a)

October 2011:
    Russia (h)
    Andorra (h)

Being Realistic

Russia (h)
    Andorra (h)
    Slovakia (a)
    Macedonia (h)
    Armenia (a)
    Armenia (h)
    Andorra (a)
    Russia (a)
    Slovakia (h)
    Macedonia (a)

i.e. Pretty rough.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    As long as Slovakia and Macedonia away games are in the same week, i don't care! Direct trains from Bratislava to Skopje (even though the game may not be in Bratislava). Russia and Armenia in the same week would also be good. Loads of direct flights between the two which should make it easier for fans to travel to the two games. Plus, having those two together should reduce possible jet lag effect on players. Not quite the Czech Republic / Slovakia ease of a couple of years ago but even if one of these double headers came to pass, it would be good for us. As long as we don't have Andorra away the same week as another, I'll be happy. I think the following should be priorities:

1) Home at the end
    2) 2 of the first 3 games at home
    3) Andorra away immediately after a tough home game (Russia or Slovakia)
    4) Armenia and Russia to be away games in the same week
    5) Slovakia and Macedonia to be away in the same week

Ideal scenario would be as follows:

Russia (h)
    Andorra (a)
    Macedonia (h)
    Armenia (h)
    Armenia (a)
    Russia (a)
    Andorra (h)
    Slovakia (a)
    Macedonia (a)
    Slovakia (h)

or something like that
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I definitely think ending with as many home matches as possible (2 most likey) would be a good outcome for us. It would suck to have to head off to Russia or Macedonia in the closing games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    At the end of the day, the important factor is that the FAI get the best draw for the team, not the fans. Sure it would be great for the fans to have Moscow on the Friday followed by Yerevan on the Tuesday, for convenience, but I just don't believe the team would react well to it.

I'm pretty sure Macedonia in Skopje in June is right up there with Moscow in October for mind-numingly stupid requests!
    When you look at the games singularily, the three awkward ones are Skopje, Moscow, and Russia at home. Getting those played at the right time of the year, and with favourable follow up fixtures or even individually will be crucial.

The other games should hold no worries to us with all due respect, not that I'm saying we'll coast them, but any combination of Slovakia, Andorra, Armenia and Macedonia (Home) wouldn't bother me. Slovakia sure are a competent team, but Bratislava is a doddle to get to for the squad, and we're more than a match for them. Armenia away will probably be the hardest place to get to, and maybe quite hostile, but I believe we'll beat them over there regardless.

There was a template knocking around last season with potential dates. If we've the same scenario where there is a standalone February date, I'd be looking for us to utilise it with a home date against one of the lessers, in order to free up a date later on (instead of a double header) or to skip a game in June.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My ideal fixture list:

Tues 7th Sep Russia Away

Fri 8th Oct Macedonia Away
    Tues 12th Oct Slovakia Home

Weds 17th Nov Andora Home

Weds 9th Feb Andora Away

Tues 29th Mar Russia Home

Tues 7th June Armenia Home

Tues 6th Sep Armenia Away

Fri 7th Oct Slovakia Away
    Tues 11th Oct Macedonia Home

The Nov and Feb dates are allocated for friendlies and would only require clubs to release players 3 days ahead instead of the 5 for a official qualifier date.

Playing Andora home and away on these dates would reduce the number of double headers.

I wouls seek to play Russia each time as a stand alone fixture on the tuesday keeping the players as fresh as possible.

No Macedonia away in Summer, like no Russia / Armenia away in height of winter.

No double headers away.

Not a very likely fixture list but one I think would be a dream for the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever
    No Macedonia away in Summer, like no Russia / Armenia away in height of winter.

No double headers away.

Not a very likely fixture list but one I think would be a dream for the team.
    We're not going to be playing in the depths of winter, so that's one thing taken care of. I love the June games, and don't understand why so many are opposed to them. Do you not want us to play in the finals cause they're in June? We went to Bulgaria last June in 35c heat, and held our own.

Hate this "home-away-home-away" obsession. That's the Kerr approach, which led to a 4th place finish. It's largely impractical, given the calendar we have these days.

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    We're not going to be playing in the depths of winter, so that's one thing taken care of. I love the June games, and don't understand why so many are opposed to them. Do you not want us to play in the finals cause they're in June? We went to Bulgaria last June in 35c heat, and held our own.

Hate this "home-away-home-away" obsession. That's the Kerr approach, which led to a 4th place finish. It's largely impractical, given the calendar we have these days.
    We got a draw, we wanted a win.

Why would you agree to give your opponents an advantage like that if you can avoid it????

Surely if you are a real fan you would put the teams best interest ahead of when you want a sun holiday???

My favoured fixture list isnt a simpe home, away, home, away, howver to say it's largely impractical is a strange statement, do you mean impractical for travelling fans????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    A draw in Bulgaria was a great result, first ever point there, when we went there before in pising rain and lost the lot.

Nothing to do with holidays, it's good to get as many of the away games over with asap, and if we're going to play in Polish/Ukraine heat, we may as well play in heat the year before. What exactly are we afraid of?

Getting the away games over with asap, is why I'm also in favour of double header aways.
    Last edited by mypost; 19/02/2010 at 4:25 PM.

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    A draw in Bulgaria was a great result, first ever point there, when we went there before in ****ing rain and lost the lot.

Nothing to do with my wants, it's good to get as many of the away games over with asap, and if we're going to play in Polish/Ukraine heat, we may as well play in heat the year before.

Getting the away games over with asap, is why I'm also in favour of double header aways.

A great result but not a result good enough to win the group, Bulgaria were a very poor team.

Saying it was our first ever point in Sofia doesnt carry any weight, i mean when was the last time we played Bulgaria in a qualifier?? 20 yrs ago, not comparing like with like really are we.

Would you not agree with playing Andora on the dates suggested to free up dates and do awway with the need for double headers.

Most people would look at trying to mis up the fixtures so as to keep points rolling up while spreading out the top seed matches so as to stay in touch at all times with the group leaders unless of course we are leading the group. All managers will tell you they would prefer to have the points than matches in hand!

Would you prefer to start off with 4 away games Russia and Armenia in Sep followed by Macedonia and Slovakia in Oct, get them over and done with and praye that we are noit out of it before a home game??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast