Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Cox (F Western Sydney Wanderers b.1987)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I saw the one against Birmingham on Sky Sports after the Monday night football game between Everton and Newcastle. Rio Ferdinand had tweeted about it saying that it must be goal of the season or something and the presenter and Gary Neville showed it as a result.

That one for Swindon makes the one at the weekend look ordinary though! Far more difficult to control as the ball was coming over his head as opposed to the side, obviously the finish was more difficult too. It's actually one of the best goals I've seen!

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That's a stunning goal.

I like the little GAA pick up after too.
    Yes I noticed that, but I am not familiar with GAA so I didn't know it came from there,
    I was going to comment on the pick up as I though it looked pretty neat but you got there first!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Yes I noticed that, but I am not familiar with GAA so I didn't know it came from there,
    I was going to comment on the pick up as I though it looked pretty neat but you got there first!
    Must be a Carlow man Tricky

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    When I saw Cox play against Scotland last year the player he reminded me most of in terms of style was Teddy Sheringham. I'd say outside of Robbie, he probably has the sharpest footballing brain in the squad IMO

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    When I saw Cox play against Scotland last year the player he reminded me most of in terms of style was Teddy Sheringham. I'd say outside of Robbie, he probably has the sharpest footballing brain in the squad IMO
    I really like what I have seen too, inventive, clever player with a goal threat and that bit of confidence. Why has he ultimately failed to get in a so so West Brom side and had to step down a level to another provincial club who have been outside the top flight a good long while now. Not what you expect when you see what he can do. So where is the hole in his game that we are missing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Cox gets a bit of implied stick simply because he isn't Shane Long. But he is a really, really good player from what I've seen.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Cox gets a bit of implied stick simply because he isn't Shane Long. But he is a really, really good player from what I've seen.
    I agree with the first part and I would agree with the second if you removed "really, really".

It will be a make or break season for him at Forest this season and for him to demonstrate that he is a good player, which they obviously didn't think he was at WBA.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Cox is a very good forward. well worth a place in a prem team. He is not however a winger

10. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Undergoing scans to see if he sustained ligament damage at the weekend from former Ireland teammate Kevin Foley. Makes Brian Kerr's comments after Greece all the more derisible.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soc...327135622.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Undergoing scans to see if he sustained ligament damage at the weekend from former Ireland teammate Kevin Foley. Makes Brian Kerr's comments after Greece all the more derisible.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soc...327135622.html
    What comments were these?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    What comments were these?
    OK, it seems I'm being unfair on Kerr - it was somebody else who, following the Greece match, intimated Cox had feigned injury during the game so he could keep his club manager happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    OK, it seems I'm being unfair on Kerr - it was somebody else who, following the Greece match, intimated Cox had feigned injury during the game so he could keep his club manager happy.
    Whether it was to keep his club manager happy is debatable.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I thought that it was you who said Kerr had cast aspersions on the extent of Cox's injury in the Greece game?
    Anyway, this injury happened in a club game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I thought that it was you who said Kerr had cast aspersions on the extent of Cox's injury in the Greece game?
    Anyway, this injury happened in a club game.
    Yeah, but I'm taking it back because it was somebody else, not Kerr, who said it. Cox was struggling with a well-publicised ankle injury before and after the game, and now he's sustained what could be a nasty injury that hasn't been helped by his willingness to keep playing for club and country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Yeah, but I'm taking it back because it was somebody else, not Kerr, who said it. Cox was struggling with a well-publicised ankle injury before and after the game, and now he's sustained what could be a nasty injury that hasn't been helped by his willingness to keep playing for club and country.
    Kerr said it during the game on radio commentary, Cox went down injured and signalled he had to come off. Kerr commented "oh, here we go, Forest need me at the weekend"
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    out for two months with ankle ligament damage: https://twitter.com/Scoxy31Real/stat...25295004119040
    Morning yes I'm out for around 2 months but it feels better and better each day. I wanna be back ASAP to help the lads achieve our goal.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    "'We are very much behind him' - Nottingham Forest striker backs Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni": http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...-striker-backs

Nottingham Forest striker Simon Cox believes that the Republic of Ireland squad is 'very much behind' manager Giovanni Trapattoni, in spite of speculation.

The Boys in Green coach came under intense scrutiny when he oversaw Ireland's 6-1 defeat against Germany in October 2012, the team's worst ever home defeat. However, Cox is adamant that Trapattoni's overall record 'speaks for itself'.

"He has come in and his record speaks for itself. He’s only lost two qualifying campaign games," Cox told the Irish Examiner.

"If you take away the handball by Thierry Henry (in the 2010 World Cup play off) then he has only lost to Russia and Germany. You can’t begrudge him (another chance) as we know what his record is like."

And the Forest striker believes that critics of the team have been 'short-sighted' by disregarding the fact that the Italian tactician guided the Irish team to their first major tournament in 10 years.

He said: "We, as a set of players, are very much behind him because we feel his tactics are spot on. I think some people are a little bit short-sighted. They forgot his record is very good and he’s taken us to a major tournament.

"Obviously it was a disappointing campaign but we got there and I think that was the main objective. Also, if it wasn’t for a handball he would have got us to a World Cup as well. That is a very good record for any manager, so we are very much behind him," added the 25-year-old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    "'We are very much behind him' - Nottingham Forest striker backs Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni": http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...-striker-backs
    "If you take away the handball by Thierry Henry (in the 2010 World Cup play off) then he has only lost to Russia and Germany. You can’t begrudge him (another chance) as we know what his record is like."

I don't remember Henry handling the ball in Croker.....?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    [QUOTE=Kingdom;1647840]"If you take away the handball by Thierry Henry (in the 2010 World Cup play off) then he has only lost to Russia and Germany."

Emmm, and France (1st leg), and Croatia, Spain and Italy. Six competitive defeats, not two...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    It's easy to bang on about results and (another favorite of Trap's supporters) the "system" if you can just ignore bad results and don't question what the system is at the moment.

Trap may have a great record, but his last significant achievements are close to a decade ago at this stage.

And for the zillionth time, the handball didn't keep us out of the World Cup. Without it, we were probably heading for penalties at best, and we were fading badly in extra time in the 2nd leg anyway.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast