Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Lenihan reported to have pancreatic cancer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Brian Lenihan reported to have pancreatic cancer

http://tv3.ie/article.php?article_id...&pagename=news

According to wikipedia pancreatic cancer has a 5 year survival rate of less than 5% and a median survival rate of 3-6 months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreatic_cancer

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I hope this isn't true, I'd a tutor who passed away from the same and it was horrific. It spreads so quickly. I wonder is it a genetic thing, Brian Sr. died of liver or pancreatic cancer I think.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think TV3 were to break this. If its true , he's very little chance of survival. Very tabloid the way the news was given on the TV3 news. Even Moan Burton thought it was wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Firstly and primarily this is a human and personal and family issue. Davin Power used the word "serious" on the RTE news earlier, so that is, de fact, serious.

There are clearly political implications but I would suggest that we defer any discussion thereof until we know more - any other course of action would be imappropriate
    DB Cooper is alive !

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Not quite sure what all the anger is about. If the second most important politician in the state is seriously ill then there is a public interest in the story. Plus they held it for two days before releasing.

Didn't see the actual report so can't comment on the style of it however.

Edit: Watched the report. **** poor standard from the reporter but nothing earth shatteringly unfair I thought.
    Last edited by Mr A; 27/12/2009 at 10:32 PM.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Can't agree with you Mr.A to be honest. His illness must have been leaked by somebody working at the hospital before he got a chance to publicly announce it himself when he is ready to so that's an intrusion right there as far as I'm concerned. There's more than that to consider though, with the timing of the alleged diagnosis (Christmas time) it's quite possible that perhaps he has not told his children yet.

Also, he would be perfectly entitled to never make it publicly if he so wished. It's his private life and he should decide what parts of that are made public.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I agree with Mr. A in that it most definitely is a story that is of interest to the public, he is the 2nd most important politician in the state after all.
    Having said that, I agree with Dman in that if this news were to be made public, it should have been allowed to come from the Lenihan camp directly.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    His illness must have been leaked by somebody working at the hospital before he got a chance to publicly announce it himself when he is ready to so that's an intrusion right there as far as I'm concerned.

Also, he would be perfectly entitled to never make it publicly if he so wished. It's his private life and he should decide what parts of that are made public.
    Or someone in FF. It seems (according to the indo today) quite a few within the party were aware prior to 24/12/09.

Irrespective of that, I think TV3 should not have broadcast this news for one reason only. It is xmas time, and I'm sure Mr Lenihan viwed this week as a week away from the cameras. He desrves the time "off" after what has been a very tough year for him personally even before this medical news. Then come Jan 2nd 2010, yes it is fair to say, it is in the National Interest.

I wish him the best of luck, and my thoughts are with his wife and two children.
    Last edited by Fr Damo; 28/12/2009 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    You are both right - this is both a private matter and also in the public interest - counterintuitive as it seems

This had to be made public but you would have expected a lot more than the 2 days that TV3 "gave" him - he should have been given time to inform the public in a time convenient for him
    DB Cooper is alive !

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    It should've been held until this week, as seems to have been agreed but was broken by TV3. But I can't see how it's not in the public's interests to know.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I read today, he says he'll be making a statement tomorrow on the course of treatment etc and expects to be able to fill his duties certainly for the first two quarters of 2010. I don't want to sound selfish here but we certainly need him somewhere near the helm over the next while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    No we don't we need that party out of government as soon as possible. Get him and his mates out of government asap. May he recover from his illness though to have many years in opposition.
    In Trap we trust

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr Damo View Post
    I don't want to sound selfish here but we certainly need him somewhere near the helm over the next while.
    Because he's done such a good job while able to fully concentrate on the job?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Simply because we aren't going to have an election anytime soon and the fact remains he is one of the best politicans in this Dail. & yes he has had a good 12 months IMO! (professionally speaking) He was rowing the boat when the sh*t was stirring, but not at the helm.

I thought this was about Mr Lenihan anyway, not FF or elections! There are many other threads to discuss those topics.
    I'd perfer to See FF with him than without him. I've nuff said!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Simply because we aren't going to have an election anytime soon and the fact remains he is one of the best politicans in this Dail. & yes he has had a good 12 months IMO! (professionally speaking) He was rowing the boat when the sh*t was stirring, but not at the helm.
    Which one of the three budgets he delivered in the last 12 months good? Is NAMA, which still hasn't happened, good? I hope he gets better, and only wish him political ill, but his political elevation (from an already unfounded high) since St Stephens Day is ridiculous.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Macy...
    As far as i can remember his first budget was Oct 08, second was April 09 and third was dec 09. Think that's two budgets in 12 months. (and you know it too)

The last one (dec 09 for clarity!) was very tough and yes some aspects seem harsh but all he did was take away from some areas of our spending that quite honestly wouldn't/shouldn't have received or attained the level, if managed correctly over the "boom" years. in other words, shouldn't have been there in the first place!
    I was out on the 26th ( PI$$ED) and at lunchtime 27Th when I turned on the text and read the storey, the first thing I thought of, was the budget and what would happen, and then where would it leave Ireland Inc. This gut feeling was replaced by my hopes he makes a good recovery from a personal perspective. I think your view that he has received some sort of political evalation is quite honestly childish. When appointed by Bertie as Justice minister he was applauded into office by his piers all accross the house. He's in the top 5 in terms of ability up there IMO.

As for NAMA, I agree, we have been sold a pup ( not going to discuss it here)
    Last edited by Fr Damo; 04/01/2010 at 10:54 AM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Macy...
    As far as i can remember his first budget was Oct 08, second was April 09 and third was dec 09. Think that's two budgets in 12 months. (and you know it too)
    You forgot the february one that cut spending and introduced the "pension" levy, so no, I wasn't counting the October 2008 farce.

I was out on the 26th ( PI$$ED) and at lunchtime 27Th when I turned on the text and read the storey, the first thing I thought of, was the budget and what would happen, and then where would it leave Ireland Inc. This gut feeling was replaced by my hopes he makes a good recovery from a personal perspective. I think your view that he has received some sort of political evalation is quite honestly childish. When appointed by Bertie as Justice minister he was applauded into office by his piers all accross the house. He's in the top 5 in terms of ability up there IMO.
    I suppose you could argue he's amongst the best of a bad lot on the Government benches, but imo he's Cowen mark II. You yourself are calling his one big idea a "pup".

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    You forgot the february one that cut spending and introduced the "pension" levy, so no, I wasn't counting the October 2008 farce.

I suppose you could argue he's amongst the best of a bad lot on the Government benches, but imo he's Cowen mark II. You yourself are calling his one big idea a "pup".
    Wouldn't have regarded the levy as a budget as it didn't do anything on the expenditure side, nor did it effect 1.5m in the private sector at that time but take your underlying point. Again I would defend him saying our expenditure was based income from on the three card trick of property and associated taxes, (stamp, VAT, Capital Gains etc) and not something he designed.

We agree on NAMA.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Simply because we aren't going to have an election anytime soon and the fact remains lhe is one of the best politicans in this Dai. & yes he has had a good 12 months IMO! (professionally speaking) He was rowing the boat when the sh*t was stirring, but not at the helm.

I thought this was about Mr Lenihan anyway, not FF or elections! There are many other threads to discuss those topics.
    I'd perfer to See FF with him than without him. I've nuff said!
    If so then why did he have to reduce the VAT and Social Welfare? Rectifying his mistakes that have cost the state well over 4 million and over 30,000 jobs (border shopping, etc)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I cannot believe this.
    The main problem was the euro verses sterling. Wages. Rents etc etc.

Do you think the 1/2 % he increased last year and the 2.5% cut the Brits implemented drove the shoppers north? Seriously? To start with there is no VAT on food, so it made zero difference to the price. Therefore no contribution lost or gained when people went to Tesco etc up there. That aside, the revenue lost was about 900m as far as I know so 15% was tax to HRM customs when perhaps 21.5% of the 900m could have stayed in the south.

You say 30000 jobs lost as a result of cross boarder shopping? I'd like that proven please.
    And finally, as per my last post, Mr Lenihan, is trying to make some amends for the niave, idiotic and childish mistakes of his predessors (McCreevey and Cowan, Cowan who was guided by Bertie but not innocent by any stretch) as they bought votes. Some aspects of Social welfare had to be cut, the gap between min wage and the dole was / is too close.
    Last edited by Fr Damo; 04/01/2010 at 8:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast