Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: New Dundalk Manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    I don't "hate" Dundalk and was glad to see them come back up to where they belong last season. What I do hate (bit strong but however) is the hypocracy shown by some (not including yourself) Dundalk fans that are happy to preach about rules and/or principles as long as it is not Dundalk that is the transgressor.

I am happy to let "due process" clarify the outcome on Ian Foster even though morally Dundalk are in the wrong on the issue (again more than some were prepared to do on the 65% rule for example).
    you are correct and I am sorry for using hate
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    So, if Dundalk didn't approach Foster and offer him the Job, would he have left anyway or stayed at Galway for another season at least?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    So, if Dundalk didn't approach Foster and offer him the Job, would he have left anyway or stayed at Galway for another season at least?
    Of course he would have left Galway, and him leaving Galway and joining Dundalk so quickly is pure coincidence, honest, really

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    you are correct and I am sorry for using hate
    No probs JL, incidentally I think you will be a better team/club without Seanie although it appears Foster may have to rebuild the team. Any idea how many of last years team will stay on ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    No probs JL, incidentally I think you will be a better team/club without Seanie although it appears Foster may have to rebuild the team. Any idea how many of last years team will stay on ?
    According to reports:
    Cherrie is signed

Grapevine:
    Burns, Heary, Michael Daly and Shaun Kelly where offered something. though nothing official and I would say that the local lads Mulvenna, Simon Kelly, Michael Coburn will be offered something and will sign. These would be cheap squad options.
    Ian is working off a smaller budget than Connor and it will be interesting to see who will accept reduced wages but I am confident from hearing about the Galway guys comment about him that her can get the best out of them.

Turner (alot of uncertainty about whether his Sligo Contract is valid or not. A lot of folk here saying that sligo signed turner under the impression that they'll win the cup and be in europe. People here saying since Sligo didn;t win the cup and not in eurpope they've reneged on Turners contract. I don't want to **** off Sligo fans but that is only what I've heard and hopefully if there is anything to clarify they can do so; but I would have turner back in a flash).

Bennion has left to join Athlone, Collins has effed off, mcareavey gone (but I was hoping to see more from him), don't know about williams, mcgowan or mckinley. Youngster Nathan Murphy had trials with Blackburn Rovers and impressed but accrording to reports his folks are anxious he will get his leaving cert completed before he goes over. Whether this will mean he can play for us or not is another thing

Overall i am quietly confident that Ian is going to lead us and my hope is that this is a 5 year plan. Our youth development centre will be opening soon and if Ian has any intelligence (which I believe he has in abundance) he will use this to the benefit of himself, the club and the whole area as a whole. I am looking forward to the brand of football he will bring and the less emphasis on hacking your opponents.
    Last edited by jinxy lilywhite; 07/12/2009 at 1:52 PM.
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Foster said in his first interview that he will be building a team around youth and thats the way he likes it and hopefully if the money is right he will have 2-3 experienced players in there to lead them aka figures like Burns, Heary etc. Now Id say the likes of Turner and Burns are holding out on whether Seanie boy gets the Cork job or any other job on this island for that matter so......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    According to reports:
    Cherrie is signed

Grapevine:
    Burns, Heary, Michael Daly and Shaun Kelly where offered something. though nothing official and I would say that the local lads Mulvenna, Simon Kelly, Michael Coburn will be offered something and will sign. These would be cheap squad options.
    Ian is working off a smaller budget than Connor and it will be interesting to see who will accept reduced wages but I am confident from hearing about the Galway guys comment about him that her can get the best out of them.

Turner (alot of uncertainty about whether his Sligo Contract is valid or not. A lot of folk here saying that sligo signed turner under the impression that they'll win the cup and be in europe. People here saying since Sligo didn;t win the cup and not in eurpope they've reneged on Turners contract. I don't want to **** off Sligo fans but that is only what I've heard and hopefully if there is anything to clarify they can do so; but I would have turner back in a flash).

Bennion has left to join Athlone, Collins has effed off, mcareavey gone (but I was hoping to see more from him), don't know about williams, mcgowan or mckinley. Youngster Nathan Murphy had trials with Blackburn Rovers and impressed but accrording to reports his folks are anxious he will get his leaving cert completed before he goes over. Whether this will mean he can play for us or not is another thing

Overall i am quietly confident that Ian is going to lead us and my hope is that this is a 5 year plan. Our youth development centre will be opening soon and if Ian has any intelligence (which I believe he has in abundance) he will use this to the benefit of himself, the club and the whole area as a whole. I am looking forward to the brand of football he will bring and the less emphasis on hacking your opponents.
    Seems a strong enough basis for next season if you keep players mentioned. I expect all clubs will have less money than last season (possible exception SRFC) and think a lot of players may not get the moves they hope for. Thought Turner was very good last season but hear what you are saying about following Seanie. Burns was a player I was sorry to see leave Dalyer and I believe he is as good a centre half as any in the League. Thought mental Mickey started well for you but tailed off a bit as season ended.

Hopefully Foster will move away from the "siege mentality" rubbish that Seanie dreamed up last season and which many attribute (at least in part) to the appalling disiplinary record you had (it is easier to win games with 11 players ). Any chance of a decent "away" section at Oriel next season ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Seems a strong enough basis for next season if you keep players mentioned. I expect all clubs will have less money than last season (possible exception SRFC) and think a lot of players may not get the moves they hope for. Thought Turner was very good last season but hear what you are saying about following Seanie. Burns was a player I was sorry to see leave Dalyer and I believe he is as good a centre half as any in the League. Thought mental Mickey started well for you but tailed off a bit as season ended.

Hopefully Foster will move away from the "siege mentality" rubbish that Seanie dreamed up last season and which many attribute (at least in part) to the appalling disiplinary record you had (it is easier to win games with 11 players ). Any chance of a decent "away" section at Oriel next season ?

Nope, following a Q&A session conducted by the Dundalk Democrat with Gerry Matthews, one question asked was any palns for the away sectiona nd he stated that they have looked at it but at the moment nope! Development centre is main priority then they are looking to provide shelter over the terracing on the town end of the stand and then after that they will consider the away end so Im afraid to say that ye will be getting wet for many years to come!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    unfortuneately it is not top of the agenda at moment. Whilst GM and the board have made great strides in upgrading Oriel Pk the main focus is the youth development centre and bringing that up to speed and trying to open it and use. The away section will be done but not in the near future which is a shame because it does need a revamp and a bit of covering but unfortuneately the cost outweighs the benefits of doing this.
    Long Live King Kenny

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Here is the part about ground improvements in the Q&A with Gerry Matthews:

Full Q & A: http://blackandwhitetown.squarespace.com/

Have any plans been made to improve Oriel Park next season? The away section in particular seems to have received a lot of negative comments with some supporters saying that it is hindering potential revenue from away fans.
    We want to be able to continue to improve and upgrade the facilities. It’s always a question of balance – we need to carefully balance the various demands on the income with the obvious needs, and to prioritise them in a sensible way.
    Last year we re-laid the pitch at a cost of €50,000; we also had to put in a new press gantry, and to upgrade the press area. Over the last few years, we have built new dressing rooms, put the Shed in place, put a new roof on the stand, outfitted the merchandise shop and club offices, and revamped the sponsor hospitality area.

We obviously need to continue with the maintenance programme for the ground, and we have plans in place to provide additional cover on the current “home” stand side of the ground, which we hope we can implement in the season ahead. The Youth Development Centre is also going to change a number of things with the vehicle entry running behind the Carrick Road goals, and the addition of the underground parking facilities which can be used on match days. We need to draw all these together to ensure that we role these out in a cohesive way.
    This is also going to impact on the current away section. We recognise that currently they are far from ideal, and as a minimum want to improve things like the physical appearance and the general health and safety aspects. Although it is rarely needed, the separate access lane for visiting fans is probably under-par because of the current construction traffic usage. Covering the current away terrace is simply not a viable option in the current environment as the costs are prohibitive relative to the returns. Bear in mind that away fans have the option of the covered stand for an additional €5 per person. In the case of a family group of two adults and two children the total cost difference is only €10 in total. That said - it is an area of weakness.

Is there a vision of how Oriel Park will look and function in five years time?
    Certainly the Youth Development Centre will play an important part of the whole functionality of Oriel Park in the years ahead. When you consider that competitive first team games only utilise Oriel Park about 20 – 25 times a year, there are another 340 days in the year where we need to maximise what we have available. The club is seeking to constantly expand and re-position itself as a community facility providing much greater relevance to more people in the town and region. It’s as much about attitudes and outlook as it is about physical facilities, but it’s completely clear to me that this Youth Development project complements every other aspect of the club, including the 1st team

As regards the match-day experiences for supporters we want to continually enhance these in every way we can. As a trial, we have raised the age category for juvenile season tickets from under-14 years to under 16-years with a cost of €75 – that’s a little over €4 a game – partially to reward the loyalty of our current youth supporters, but also to entice more people in this age profile. We probably have one of the highest percentages of young supporters in the league, and are eager to build on this, as these are our adult supporters of the future. We’ll see how that goes in the first place, and we’ll consider family areas in both the stand and ground in the future
    ]The Lilywhite Lounge and the Enda McGuill Suite along with new bar and catering facilities in the Youth Development Centre are also important elements in providing enhanced match event experiences.
    As regards the ground itself, we obviously have ambition to be competing regularly in European, and this places additional demands on things like additional seating if we are to host these in Oriel Park. But we have to be realistic and accept that we can’t do everything at once, particularly with the difficult economic environment at the moment.

Is the Youth Development Centre still on schedule to be finished in April/May 2010?
    Immediately before work commenced we envisaged that the centre would be operational, if not necessarily 100% complete, by July next year. So far we are ahead of that target, and hope to have the first groups across the threshold by the early part of the summer.

Have the club found any more sources of funding to contribute to its completion?
    We have identified additional funding possibilities, and while there are still elements of the financing for the project yet to fall into place, I have no doubt that we will stay on track. The roof is already complete and the side walls are now almost complete – it is really starting to take shape.

[
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 07/12/2009 at 3:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

Of course you would!
    I asked the question on our forum "Is Turner a Sligo Rovers player?".
    The answer I got from the most reliable source we have on these things is that he is.
    The issue with his contract, as far as I am aware, was that it was the "old" contract he signed (pre Derry City shenanigans), which has now (since he signed) been replaced by a new form of contract. However, this would still be valid. Otherwise any contracts signed pre the "new" contract would all have to be done away with which seems unlikely at best and illegal at worst.
    Also, and I am only speculating on this point, I doubt if it would be in his contract that Rovers would be in Europe. So that wouldn't be something that could be "reneged" on.
    To be honest though, there are no certainties in this league so I won't consider him a Rovers player until I see him lining out for us in the new season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    I think a more relevant question for Turner might be:
    Would he prefer to play for Cook or Foster?
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    I think a more relevant question for Turner might be:
    Would he prefer to play for Cook or Foster?
    No - the relevant question is the amount of money in his contract and the likelihood of this being paid on time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,650 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    No - the relevant question is the amount of money in his contract and the likelihood of this being paid on time
    doesnt that vary in Dundalk depending on the time of the year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I presume that you are referring to the 15% voluntrary reduction in salary that most Dundalk players agreed to last August. It's not a unique event - you may recall a certain club in D7 did something similar
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-1600565.html

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Well obviously, but if he was being offered the same money by both clubs, then the playing for Cook or Foster would be an issue for him.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,650 Posts
    I presume that you are referring to the 15% voluntrary reduction in salary that most Dundalk players agreed to last August. It's not a unique event - you may recall a certain club in D7 did something similar
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-1600565.html
    Yes i was referring to the "voluntary" pay cuts in August, middle of the season.

You may recall that that article you linked was published in January, well in advance of the season opener.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillonman View Post
    I duno where you got that from, Im from Dundalk and have always supported Dundalk FC, if this is in relation to me asking you about Stuart Byrne playing for ye the seaosn ye got promoted in 1999 or so then that was just a general question. Iv always paid had a good interest in the Eircom League/LOI the past 12 years or so.

sorry for the confusion dillonman I am obviously thinking of another person.. apologies...
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    sorry for the confusion dillonman I am obviously thinking of another person.. apologies...
    Fair enough man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Yes i was referring to the "voluntary" pay cuts in August, middle of the season.

You may recall that that article you linked was published in January, well in advance of the season opener.
    As usual SkStu you are on the money - it seems that pay rates can vary at clubs depending on the time of year!

I know it's not a popular theory in LoI, but I applaud any board that seek to balance up their wage costs with their income. Doubt if it will catch on though!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast