Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SARI Press Statement concerning Ndo Incident

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

SARI Press Statement concerning Ndo Incident

This has been circulated to all Irish Media in response to the Ndo incident in Tallaght a couple of weeks ago

It has been brought to our attention, by members of the public, that an alleged racist incident took place at last week's game between Shamrock Rovers and Bohemians at Tallaght Stadium.

There is evidence from footage broadcast on TG4 that monkey chants, emanating from Rovers fans, were directed at Joseph N'do, the Bohemian's player.

Sport Against Racism Ireland contacted the FAI to investigate this incident. Des Tomlinson FAI Intercultural Football Programme Coordinator has said “he informed Fran Gavin, Director of the League of Ireland of the details of this allegation… and has asked the League of Ireland to instigate procedures to investigate the allegation”.

The UEFA anti-racism regulations are incorporated into the FAI Intercultural Plan.

SARI would urge the FAI to look at implementing the UEFA Respect programme in line with other UEFA member associations and alert clubs to the recent statement by Sepp Blatter, FIFA President 'To my mind, fining the clubs "responsible" does not work. They need to be docked points in the league and in European competitions and kicked out altogether if need be. Such punishment is actually envisaged in our Disciplinary Code and without it we cannot hope to eradicate this problem'.
    Kom Igen, FCK...

EnglishSource
    Hey Reiteoir, did you send a similar complaint to SARI when McGuinness abused Boco or are you only interested in anti-racism when it could possibly benefit the team you support?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    If the the league had any credibility, this would be damaging it.

A points deduction though? I'm not aware of any previous incident regarding racism at Rovers so that would be disproportionate IMO. It sounded like only a few people involved, and that's very hard for any club to stop happening on a one off basis.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Fair play to SARI for making sure this isn't just swept under the carpet, as I'm sure the FAI would have liked.

Though it's a big ask for them to push for points deductions on something like this. I'm not against that - but it shouldn't be implemented mid-season out of the blue.

Identifying the culprits aside, there should be points deductions for this sort of thing, but it should be incorporated in a new rule that's spelt out clearly at the start of a new season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    SARI are only quoting Fat Blatter. If he said it, its fair game for them to ask the FAI to honour it (not that I expect anything other than a fine to result).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    A points deduction though? I'm not aware of any previous incident regarding racism at Rovers so that would be disproportionate IMO.
    Metz had one point deducted a few years ago for an opposition player receiving racial abuse at a match.

Though I very much doubt the FAI would issue a points deduction (again) when it will affect the title. I'd say a big fine will be handed down.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Doubt there will be a points reduction, it will be left a fine id say.
    FAI wont want to be seen to be hypocrites after the Jason McGuinness affair earlier in the season.

Sepp Blatters statement taht clubs/teams should be docked points though is laughable!

Remember the Spain v England game a few seasons ago, the fine was scandalously small and there was at least a third of the Bernabeau that night making monkey at the english lads.
    Louise ARagones called Thierry Henry a b*ack sh*t and pretty much got away scott free for that aswell, there has been numerous incidents, of a much higher profile that his organisation have refused or failed to deal with suitably over the last few years.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I'm not aware of any previous incident regarding racism at Rovers so that would be disproportionate IMO.
    In fairness it was highlighted both in the other thread on this forum about it and on a thread on srfcultras.net that this ISN'T the first racial indicent at Rovers, there were incidents at the matches against Bohs (both this year and last), and against Kildare in the cup - none of those incidents were covered as widely though, i'd assume because of lack of evidence so maybe that's what you're reffering too. Either way it's not the first incident I'm aware of within Rovers, but that's a discussion for another day.

1 gold star for SARI for following up on this, let's hope they keep the pressure up on the FAI to ackonwledge this happened and to take postive action against it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Looking through their archive, I see no press release on Jason McGuinness' behaviour. They must have a quota of press releases and deemed it unimportant.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I'd be in favour of a fine, and making it very clear that there will be a points deduction if it happens again. Racism is unacceptable in our league, or anywhere else for that matter.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfx- View Post
    Looking through their archive, I see no press release on Jason McGuinness' behaviour. They must have a quota of press releases and deemed it unimportant.
    Really? Hadnt bothered to check.

That wouldnt add up as it is evident on thebohs forum that it was there fans crying to SARI that got this reaction from them, one post seemed to mention that SARI had something to say about McGuinness racially abusing Boko.

Anybody know how much McGuinness was fined for that incident? Id imagine the fine to Rovers will be in keeping with that one.
    Last edited by theneutral; 12/10/2009 at 3:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    If there were hundreds, even dozens of people involved you could begin talking about a points deduction. If it had happened throughout the course of the game, maybe you could start talking about a points deduction. What we have here is a tiny handful of scumbags who at one stage during the game were apparently heard by Bohs fans on TV. It wasn't loud enough to be heard by the average TV viewer, it didn't occur on numerous times throughout the game and there hasn't been a history of this sort of thing at Rovers games. Talk of a points deduction is laughable considering you had thousands of people openly making monkey noises to Stephen Reid in Podgorica with no reprimand. Besides it's a moot point in terms of the title race, if a points deduction was handed to Rovers, the exact same would have to be applied to Bohs for Jason McGuinness' comments to Bocco earlier in the year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theneutral View Post

That wouldnt add up as it is evident on thebohs forum that it was there fans crying to SARI that got this reaction from them, one post seemed to mention that SARI had something to say about McGuinness racially abusing Boko.
    May of this year wasn't it?

http://www.sari.ie/sarisite/press-room.html

It doesn't add up. Surely they were emailed then too by these heroic conscientious Bohs fans.
    Last edited by dfx-; 12/10/2009 at 3:24 PM.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    How can they be sure the alleged racist abuse was not coming from his own teammates? They are the ones with form for this sort of thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfx- View Post
    May of this year wasn't it?

http://www.sari.ie/sarisite/press-room.html

It doesn't add up. Surely they were emailed then too by these heroic conscientious Bohs fans.
    your missing the point majorly or else twisting things to suit yourself. There was no need for any set of fans to email SARI or any other organisation as this was splashed across the media mere minutes after it occurred and drew a major response from the same organisations within days.

What Bohs fans, and any other fans who disagree with racism (not that there appears to be very many on here unless it suits them), were looking for was similar punishment for a similar offense. The reaction of the Shamrock Rovers fans here to this news speaks volumes. You should be holding your hands up, accepting there is a problem (racial abuse of Ndo has occurred twice now) and speaking with your club on how best to eradicate this problem.

Im delighted with the press release from SARI but i will wait to see what punishment, if any, is handed down from the FAI. I dont agree with a points deduction but i expect a large fine or, as someone requested a punishment similar to McGuinness' suspension, a game or two behind closed doors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theneutral View Post

Anybody know how much McGuinness was fined for that incident? Id imagine the fine to Rovers will be in keeping with that one.
    do you really expect any poster with a modicum of intelligence to still believe that you are not a Shamrock Rovers fan? Please.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    do you really expect any poster with a modicum of intelligence to still believe that you are not a Shamrock Rovers fan? Please.
    Maybe my opinions as a result of that whole night have gotten you to thinking that but i stand by them and my reasons for them.
    Id have no problem proclaiming myself a rovers fan if i were one (they are the most succesful club this country has after all) but the fact remains that im not.
    Not arsed what you think to be honest!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...sh/8284278.stm

Similar alleged incident up North led to a fine of £1,250 .... which of course is being appealled.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    ]were apparently heard by Bohs fans on TV.
    I'm sure it could be heard by anyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fretxesAwI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    , as someone requested a punishment similar to McGuinness' suspension, a game or two behind closed doors.
    For an isolated incident, done by a handful of scumbags? You really think playing two games behind closed doors is the same as McGuinness suspension? Seriously now? Then again Sheridan is in another thread demanding games behind closed doors and for Rovers to be deducted points for lighting flares which was organised with local Gardai and for the heinous pitch invasion behind advertising hoarding on the side of the pitch versus Derry so maybe you do think that it's a proportionate sanction. Anyway, should that happen I'll have a night off to head down Liffey Boardwalk and pay 4 or 5 lovely chaps to wander in to Dalyer, speak their minds and have Dalymount closed for weeks.

FWIW look at the Ultras forum for Rovers fans take on this. A lot of confusion as the vast majority of people in the stand heard nothing (genuinely, I was there) and everyone else saying that the few scumbags who decided to this for about 4 seconds during the game should be given life bans from Tallaght. What more do you genuinely want Rovers fans to say/do?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast