Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Player/s of the Group for us...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Player/s of the Group for us...

ok i have 2. For me

1. Robbie Keane. Crucial goals yet again from our main man. Georgia at home, italy away, cprus away. his workrate and overall class are vital for us.

2. Glenn Whelan. Hes really come on for me. Ive been a fan of him from the start really. Hes a good passer, good long range shot and IMO hes probably been one of our most consistent over the group. Im quite happy hes in the middle for us now. Trap has really made this guy into a player.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    ok i have 2. For me

1. Robbie Keane. Crucial goals yet again from our main man. Georgia at home, italy away, cprus away. his workrate and overall class are vital for us.

2. Glenn Whelan. Hes really come on for me. Ive been a fan of him from the start really. Hes a good passer, good long range shot and IMO hes probably been one of our most consistent over the group. Im quite happy hes in the middle for us now. Trap has really made this guy into a player.
    Richard Dunne blows both of them out of the water. Particularly Whelan who has been a passenger in the majority of games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Agree on Keane, and Whelan has done well without being exceptional.

Dunne would be another that has really been immense this campaign. Duff has also been instrumental when he's been fit.

Ultimately though, the most impressive thing has been the performances of the team as a whole. Okay, we're not playing pretty stuff, but we're cohesive, organized, and effective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Doyle and O'Shea (pre-90 min on Sat) would be possible candidates also.
    'And Crouch must score'

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Shay Given obviously.
    Dunne, O Shea & St Ledger have all been excellent too.
    Nobody from midfield has excelled for me.
    Robbie Keane for the goal's he's scored although I still feel we're not getting the best out of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    im sticking by my 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Keane and Dunne, for sure. O'Shea deserves credit too. St Ledger wins 'Best Newcomer!'

Have to say have expected a wee bit more from Doyle, although our system isn't designed for him to score many goals. Faultless in terms of workrate and effort though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    I think my favourite performances were Steven Reid in Mainz and Richard Dunne.....hmmm, which match was it that he was unbelieveable in? I forget. I know he was outstanding throughout but there was one game in particular.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    It's hard to pick out one player.

They have all been really good, backed up by a system which stresses team work over individuality.

Shay Given has had a relatively quiet campaign, which contrasts with the Kerr and Stauntan years when man of the match was usually Dunne or Given.

As a unit, the Irish team has come on a lot. It's little things that are hard to spot. Closing down teams. Keeping their shape and positions. More of an attacking menace. Knowing what to do with the ball. Stopping the other team from playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    O' Shea and Dunne are the rock that this ship is built on. The previous two managers didn't have anyone prepared to stand up and be leaders but we certainly have them now.

Never thought I would say it about O'Shea but well done kiddo. He looks like he has grown 4 inches since Trapattoni took over.
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbyblob View Post
    O' Shea and Dunne are the rock that this ship is built on. The previous two managers didn't have anyone prepared to stand up and be leaders but we certainly have them now.

Never thought I would say it about O'Shea but well done kiddo. He looks like he has grown 4 inches since Trapattoni took over.
    I agree. Credit where it's due. I have been a critic of him for years as I thought he was useless for Ireland under Kerr and Staunton but he's improved immensely under Trap and is one of our better players. His distribution from the back is still shocking though.
    Last edited by youngirish; 13/10/2009 at 11:20 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Dunne and O'Shea have been very good.
    Keane and Duff returned to form this campaign.
    Steven Reid was immense in the opening games.
    Doyle and Hunt have worked hard.
    Folan, St Ledger and Whelan have established themselves as serious options.

Disappointments of the campaign?

Possibly McGeady, definitely Gibson and Kilbane. Keogh never carried on from his friendly form.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    His distribution from the back is still awful though.
    Not on Saturday. Some really classy passes. No Kilbane on the other hand...

One of the features of Trap's early games was Dunne carrying the ball and giving it to S. Reid or Whelan rather than hoofing it. In S. Reid's absence we've resorted to a lot of hoofing from the back. Whelan's game and shows for the ball, but not with S. Reid's conviction in my opinion.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Shay Given for me, he made a crucial save when we were behind at home to Georgia...

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet7 View Post
    It's hard to pick out one player.

They have all been really good, backed up by a system which stresses team work over individuality.

Shay Given has had a relatively quiet campaign, which contrasts with the Kerr and Stauntan years when man of the match was usually Dunne or Given.

As a unit, the Irish team has come on a lot. It's little things that are hard to spot. Closing down teams. Keeping their shape and positions. More of an attacking menace. Knowing what to do with the ball. Stopping the other team from playing.
    Id pretty much agree with that.Its very hard to single out just one player, Dunne and Robbie have saved us on a few occasions but there have been some very good performances throughout the team over the course of the campaign.... even during that shameful peformance on saturday night against the world champions
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Shay Given has been our best and most consistent player in this and probably the last 3 campaigns. He received some criticism for the first goal on Saturday and while that may be warrented, he has kept us in a couple of games during the year. Great save at 1-1 against Cyprus iirc. Keanes goals have been instrumental but he has had one or two quiet games and Dunne is playeing his best football since he first broke into the Senior Squad but gets caught the odd time. When O'Shea partnered Dunne at centrehalf something happened to him. He started to defend correctly and he even started to distribute well, player regularly for utd had helped no end.

Whelan has scored a two very important goals, but he has been non-existent in some matches as well. He certainly has not been our player of the campaign.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Glenn Whelan for me. For doing exactly the job that Trap has sent him out to do allowing others to grab the limelight. Scoring two goals and preventing many more from going in against us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Glenn Whelan for me. For doing exactly the job that Trap has sent him out to do allowing others to grab the limelight. Scoring two goals and preventing many more from going in against us.
    ya i think the comments that hes been non existent in matches are way off. probably 2nd half in cyprus was his best, put in numerous tackles disrupting the oppisition and almost scored a cracker in the meantime. scored 2 goals aswell. from the problems we have had in the last while in midfield i think he has been brilliant in this campaign and im looking forward to his partnership with steven reid getting back to where it was in mainz and montenegro.
    Last edited by Duggie; 13/10/2009 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    O'Shea & Dunne for me.

O'Shea has made big strides forward for Ireland under Trap.