Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wales' qualifying campaign

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa B View Post
    Started what? Gave an opinion that didn't agree with yours. Oops can't be doing that Not!
    Lighten up man. Pretty obvious your defence of Toshack is related to his club history anyway, like every other opinion you give on foot.ie.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Lighten up man. Pretty obvious your defence of Toshack is related to his club history anyway, like every other opinion you give on foot.ie.
    I defend my club only when i feel the need to. You obviously don't read my posts properly. Anyway going off topic. I asked who could do a better job than Toshack nothing more. You decided to bring it down another road not me. Anyway i am entitled to my opinion. Not my problem it grinds your gears

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Oops!! sorry, Rafa started it though
    That's OK, the admins can delete inane banter such as this easily.

Rafa B - If you mean we don't have the players to qualify for a major tournament (at least in a group containing Germany and Russia) then I am with you. If however you mean we aren't good enough to take at least one point from two games each against either Germany, Russia, or Finland, then I disagree. The players we have now are actually in my view fairly good, if still a bit inexperienced.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Iechydd da.

Up here, Worthington is set to agree a third series in charge (I know he only got half of Euro 08, but that was six matches). Like a lot of fans I accept that but without any great enthusiasm. NW and his assistant/ youth manager Beaglehole have brought through plenty of youngsters to the fringe of the senior squad, and the U-21s have generally played pretty well. Today's reverse against Iceland notwithstanding.

But you can't rely on future promise indefinitely and Tosh doesn't seem to have much fan support. After six years it's time for a change- how about Flynn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I think Chris Coleman would be a good choice but he's would probably see himself as being too young for International Management and would prefer day-to-day, I could be wrong though.
    I dunno what Coleman is getting for his Coventry gig but I'll wager he'd have to be nuts to quit a championship club to manage Wales or even a considerably bigger/better-prospects-at-a-glance international side.

Since Mick McCarthys time the Ireland job has probably been one of the better paid international jobs and it still took an iminent sacking by Millwall to entice him.

Alex McLeish' paypacket reputedly jumped 2000% (no typo: I said Two THOUSAND percent) when he swapped Scotland for then Championship Birmingham City.

Whoever's to replace Tosh has a hatch number at the moment.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    I dunno what Coleman is getting for his Coventry gig but I'll wager he'd have to be nuts to quit a championship club to manage Wales or even a considerably bigger/better-prospects-at-a-glance international side
    You're probably right, but I had to mention some name cos Rafa was breakin my balls!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    You need to find a Dennis O'Brien (who allegedly pays half or possibly more of Trap's wages plus assistants)Cymro. And then for the WFA to acept outside help in the funding of a top class manager. Australia, Russia and ourselves have gone down this route and it works. There are some very rich Welsh people around the world so if the WFA go seeking outside donors you never know who you could get as manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    There are some very rich Welsh people around the world .
    That's a miserable filthy lie! There are not.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa B View Post
    I asked who could do a better job than Toshack nothing more.
    Guus Hiddink could do a better job than Toshack.

Reserves
    Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt & everywhere in between
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    In all fairness I think it would be a good gig for Brian Kerr to take up should Wales decide to change managers.
    "U've figured how to work the Google on the internet machine"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    That's OK, the admins can delete inane banter such as this easily.

Delorean won't like his inane banter being deleted

Rafa B - If you mean we don't have the players to qualify for a major tournament (at least in a group containing Germany and Russia) then I am with you.

Yes that's what i meant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    You're probably right, but I had to mention some name cos Rafa was breakin my balls!!
    You said it not me but fair play we got a name out of you in the end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Toshack is reputed to be on around £250,000 per year. Read that on www.dragonsoccer.co.uk so I am not certain of its accuracy. But if true we would probably be paying around the going rate for Championship teams. If not, we could always promote Flynn. Finance is an issue but the FAW could, I'm sure, stump up the funds to finance a new manager if necessary.

Interesting to hear Brian Kerr's name mentioned. I thought he did pretty well when in charge of Ireland, although he didn't take you to a major finals in that time you were by all accounts unlucky in a couple of games against Israel. In any case, we'd take respectable third place campaigns at the moment and he might fancy it, seeing it as a step up from his current job with the Faroe Islands. I would probably ask the more obvious candidates first (Flynn, Pulis, Coleman) but if none of those were interested (quite possible) then Kerr might not be a bad choice.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I'd love to see Brian get the Wales job and would not like to be drawn against him/ye if he did.

Also -If Tosh is on 250K then he's likely on better money than his Scottish and NI counterparts for starters.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Does the FAW generate money from the Millenium Stadium ? Is it owned by them or the local government ? They must have had some cash left over from all the FA Cup finals, Rugby matches and they could bid for a Uefa final there... I think £250,000 would be a lower-mid Championship salary. Toshack would get more if he moved to a club like Reading. There is little point in doing much until the draw for Euro 2012, if it looks like a difficult draw might be best to stick with him as he does seem to bring in the youngsters. If you have a chance then it might be worth getting rid of Tosh and paying a bit more for an experienced continental manager if they would be willing to take the job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Wales has a few decent clubs with presumably good academies, they should be ok, on the other hand the future looks bleak for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    Does the FAW generate money from the Millenium Stadium ? Is it owned by them or the local government ? They must have had some cash left over from all the FA Cup finals, Rugby matches and they could bid for a Uefa final there... I think £250,000 would be a lower-mid Championship salary. Toshack would get more if he moved to a club like Reading. There is little point in doing much until the draw for Euro 2012, if it looks like a difficult draw might be best to stick with him as he does seem to bring in the youngsters. If you have a chance then it might be worth getting rid of Tosh and paying a bit more for an experienced continental manager if they would be willing to take the job.
    I think the WRU owns the Millenium Stadium. Here's from wiki:

The Millennium Stadium is owned by Millennium Stadium plc which is a subsidiary company of the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU).[5]

Personally, I'd argue that if we are going to sack Tosh, we should do it now to give the new guy some friendlies to experiment a bit with systems and such. We have a game against Scotland next month and one in March 2010 too (opponents tbc), I don't know when the draw is made but obviously we want to maximise our room for manouvre.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    "the qualifying draw will be held in Poland on 7 February 2010"

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/k...id=796459.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    I'd love to see Brian get the Wales job and would not like to be drawn against him/ye if he did.

Also -If Tosh is on 250K then he's likely on better money than his Scottish and NI counterparts for starters
    I think Worthington's on about 150k.

Reserves
    Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt & everywhere in between
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    Does the FAW generate money from the Millenium Stadium ?
    Out of interest what kind of attendance do Wales get for qualifiers?
    "U've figured how to work the Google on the internet machine"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast