Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: United Kingdom Team

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Davros, the complete irony of your one man quest against all things British, (or in any other derogatory way you wish to refer to Britons in your helpful and irrelevant brackets), is that you infact, by looking at your location, reside in the heartland of that regime that you say you have such political issues with. Any credibility that may have been hidden in your statements, often with no connection to footballing matters what so ever, is null and void. Your fixation with spelling and grammar is also ironic as your grasp of the English language is very poor with regards your punctuation, even after it has been pointed out to you. I normally disagree with calling people up on their writing skills online, it shows an inability to continue a debate intellectually. However your insistent regurgitating of the same rhetoric seems to show, now I am speculating here, an inferiority complex, lack of satisfaction in your own existence, and the constant need to make yourself seem and feel more important than you really are.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Your ‘I know you are, but what am I response” hasn’t enlightened me any further as to why you seem stuck in the past. I am also perfectly aware of the Irish Diaspora, in-fact one could argue that the fact there are more, and I use the term lightly, ‘Irish’ who live outside of the Island, that could be considered colonialist in itself, or that those in the Diaspora have deserted Ireland to seek fame and fortune in other lands.

As for your charge of my ‘arrogance’, I fail to see how you have come to that conclusion, I am merely pointing out to you that you continue to bring up irrelevant politically under-toned comments on what is primarily a football forum. I do not see the need for it.

If you wish to realistically make any effort to politically change the fortunes of those you claim are oppressed in Ireland, then there are correct domestic and European channels to go through. Rather than spouting off about how much you have learned about Irish history from drunken lullaby’s sung around a Guinness fuelled fireplace, in the hope that you will come across as more than an ex-pat with a chip on his shoulder. It reminds me of the Australian and American ex-pats sending home funds for ‘The Cause’ from their comfortable and peaceful homes on the other side of the world, a wonderful selfless act on their part I must say.

If you would take off your emerald tinted spectacles, and actually look at 21st century Ireland you would see a multicultural and cosmopolitan land looking forward to a prosperous peaceful age (something Ireland has never had, even long before the Normans/British came on the scene). But sadly there are those hell bent on living in the past, with a desire to cling on to some outdated religious struggle irrelevant in most intelligent young peoples eyes, who actually live here.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Let's calm it down a bit guys.
    This thread has the potential to blow up in our faces. I suggest anyone who is being offended by anything posted on this thread doesn't visit it and it might all calm down a bit.
    Remember that we're here to discuss football and everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I have read and respected all of yours, but if it's going to cause offence it probably shouldn't be posted here.
    I'm not saying this to anyone specific and I'm not having a go at anyone, just trying to keep this thread calm and open to all

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ah sure it is all just a bit of banter, i'm sure no-one is stupid enough to take anything written on messageboards to heart.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by davros

As for the mutant'kingdom'(pseudo-Kraut dependency?!)....it comes down to sheer ignorance,indoctrination & stupidity....all'propaganda',of which the Puppets are the biggest fall-guys of all,often literally!
    Isn't the British 'kingdom' based on loyalty to the illegimate British Royal family. The legimate Stuart family were overthrown and replaced by some German lot whose only qualification to rule Britain was because they weren't Catholic.

And the only reson Scotland became British was because Queen Liz I had no children so the thone was inherited by her Scottish cousin Jimmy Stuart.

British identity is an artificial idea based on anti-Catholicism. What if the act of succession was changed allowing Catholics to inherit the throne? I couldn't see the Paisleyites accepting a Catholic king.
    Last edited by Paddy Ramone; 26/02/2004 at 9:58 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    paddy............................and that has what to do with football

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Your last few posts haven't had much to do with football either. But it does partly have relevance to the thread which is on the UK.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    But if we all get away from this political hot potato, and concentrate on footballing matters, then this thread will be more interesting to other forum members rather than just those of us who enjoy a little nationalistic debate.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    DG,To coin a Lopez cliche,'Ouch!'
    Ouch!
    Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
    For all this talk of indoctrination, mutation, stupidity and the rest, you are probably the most pompous and PC contributor to this board. Anyone who disagrees with you must by definition be a bigot. Be sure to tiptoe through the Teplice
    Ouuuccchhh!!!!
    Originally posted by BannsideBoy
    ...Your fixation with spelling and grammar is also ironic as your grasp of the English language is very poor with regards your punctuation, even after it has been pointed out to you. I normally disagree with calling people up on their writing skills online, it shows an inability to continue a debate intellectually...
    It's called Great Britain, not Great Briton, although it needs a hell of a makeover to make it 'great' again for the Olympics (they could start with the London Underground). If a GB/UK team is dependent on London getting the Olympics then tranquilo amigos, they've got as much chance as Ian Paisley being the next president of Ireland.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
    Clear majorities in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales vote for 'unionist' parties, hardly anyone in England for separatists.

Any more ill-informed cliches you want to pass on?
    Perhaps you'd pass on your election results argument to revisionist historians everywhere ?

BTW anyone else think we should give the Brits Louth, Leitrim and the three odd men out in Ulster and then see what they think of democracy ?

Completely irrelevant to football of course-so eh should ther be a united EU team, it'd be quite a force
    EL grounds are like good episodes of The Simpsons, no matter how many times you see them they're still funny

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Originally posted by TommyT
    Completely irrelevant to football of course-so eh should ther be a united EU team, it'd be quite a force
    Got one in golf so should be a winner with much of the b*llox that go to the more attractive Ireland away games.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just to get this (slightly back on topic). At present how is it decied if a player can play for Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland/England seeing as you cant, per se, be a Wales/Scottish/Northern Irish/English citizen but a British citizen.

Amouruso (sp? the guy who played with Rangers) can now take up British citizenship because he's been there for 5 years and then go play for Scotland, even though he wasnt there for all of the 5 years.

Kevin Hunt can play for Ireland.

Di Canio could have played for England even though he spent time in Scotland. Can anyone who aqquires a British passport just chose who he want to play for?

My grandmother and grandfather were born in Ireland preindepence. So I could claim British Citizenship right? Then I've lived/live in Wales. So I could just 'become' Welsh even though I've no actually connection to Wales. Seems silly. At least Morrison's grandmother was born in Ireland.
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SÓC

Di Canio could have played for England even though he spent time in Scotland. Can anyone who aqquires a British passport just chose who he want to play for?

Apperantly so, I remember when Zola Budd got the Brit passport pre Los angeles olympic's, it was due to a great grandfather being born in Scotland, (i know friend's in the passport office) but when it came to the comonwealth game's she was running for England, another one was Everton's Pat Van Den Howe in the 80's, he was a Belgian citizan but got a brit passport enabeling him to play for whichever team he wanted, which he oppted for Wales. John Barnes @ one time in the early 80's was even watched by Scotland before he played for the tans u21 team, but they thought it unwise to pick a player with no Scottish link's. How ironic that a team who kicked up a bit of a fuss in the Charlton era about the grandperent rule, should then start doing the same themselves.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    And people wonder why education is going down hill

....................yawn

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Anyone fancy a nice cup of tea?
    They're red, they're black
    The hatchetmen are back.

We'll support you evermore
    Though you never score...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No one calls me Fianna Fail
    The hatchetmen are back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes a cup of tea for everyone would be a good call DG,
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Irish,

MUTANT Puppets,in the osc.............
    Same thing surely ???
    EL grounds are like good episodes of The Simpsons, no matter how many times you see them they're still funny

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Mabye we should tie up this thread beofre anyone goes overboards with insults.
    We're all proud of where we come from and no ones going to budge so flame wars won't results in anything but a mess.
    Having said that nothing to bad has actually benen said but this thread does have the potential to turn ugly

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm already ugly
    The hatchetmen are back.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast