Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irish fans last night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Irish fans last night

I'm going to ireland matches nearly 20 years and I'm getting f**king sick of all the muppets trying to live up to the best supporters in the world crap.

We lost lastnight in front of a muppet of a ref, against a team that knocked us out the last time, timewasted like f**k lastnight and really rubbed it in in basle when they beat us.

We find out were not going to germany at 930 and what do the irish supporters do? Cheers the switz clowns off the pitch, id say they couldnt believe their luck. Im just wondering when we can expect this crap to stop as Im really getting sick of it now

On the plus side there was a good atmosphere lastnight
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I clapped for Shay Given but that was it.

I hope the Swiss get murdered in the play-off!
    They're rubbish and I'll cheer for whatever team they get.
    Our group in general was rubbish and France only barely justified their qualification.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have been going even longer and I could feel it in the atmosphere last night that the supporters didn't really believe we would win the match - the atmosphere was one of hope rather than belief!

Cast your mind back to the Holland game - There was a genuine belief around the place that we could beat them and this doestransfer itself to the players - Wasn't there last night

Re us being too nice - agree completely - we have a ****e ground - intimidating my arse!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    I clapped for Shay Given but that was it.
    Same here, I gave Shay a big cheer, got my flag and got
    the flock outta there
    Last edited by Ash; 13/10/2005 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo
    I'm going to ireland matches nearly 20 years and I'm getting f**king sick of all the muppets trying to live up to the best supporters in the world crap.

We lost lastnight in front of a muppet of a ref, against a team that knocked us out the last time, timewasted like f**k lastnight and really rubbed it in in basle when they beat us.

We find out were not going to germany at 930 and what do the irish supporters do? Cheers the switz clowns off the pitch, id say they couldnt believe their luck. Im just wondering when we can expect this crap to stop as Im really getting sick of it now

Cosmo,

The Swiss were the better team last night. Not by much - but the better team none-the-less. They did nothing that any other team in their position wouldn't have done. If it had of been Ireland needing a draw away to them, we would've time-wasted towards the end etc just the same. That's football...

There's no need to suck the Swiss's dicks during the game or anything, but when the 90mins are up - they're up ! End of story. The Swiss didn't feck-up Ireland's chances of qualification for Germany 2006. We did. So, whilst I wouldn't have personally clapped the Swiss team off last night, I see absolutely nothing wrong with any other fans choosing to be sportsmanlike and do so themselves. To act like a big kid with a grudge because we fecked-up our own chances is just pathetic. It's called 'sport' for a reason......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I clapped for Given, Holland and I clapped for the Swiss - ****in right I did. And I'm not trying to live up to any reputation.

At least their players showed a bit of respect salute their fans after their support. Our crowd just wandered off the pitch without as much as a wave apart from those mentioned above.

45,000 travel to paris, 17,000 travel to cyprus not to mention the **** that some went through with dodgy planes and fog in the Faroes
    lansdowne packed out every time and people giving their eye teeth for tickets. The question I ask is who feels cheated - I DO

Credit where its due and fair play to the Swiss. Id clap em again tonight. Not to uphold any reputation but because earned their play off and if you cant see that, you are the muppet.
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A huge reason as to why the Celtic shirt wearing lepregoons were so dull last night (and over the past god knows number of years) is because the majority of Irish fans are not used to going to matches to supporting thier club week in week out. Our fans don't know how to sing or support a team properly. All credit to the ones who spend tonnes of cash supporting Ireland abroad but so many of our fans don't have football through their blood and I don't care ever how bad a performance is, the players deserve to be applauded aswell as the players applauding the fans.
    2006 predictions:

Premier Division - 1. Shelbourne, 2. Cork City, 3. Derry City, 12. Bohemians.

1st Division - 8. Shamrock Rovers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo

Sounds like sour grapes to me. The Swiss played the right tactics and we played right into their hands. I didn't see much time wasting - no more than what we would have done in the same position.
    If people want to cheer the oposition for a job well done then go for it. No point in being bitter about it. I hope the Swiss get into the World Cup but they won't cause they're nearly as bad as us and won't have a hope against The Czechs, Turkey or Spain.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbyblob
    I clapped for Given, Holland and I clapped for the Swiss - ****in right I did. And I'm not trying to live up to any reputation.

At least their players showed a bit of respect salute their fans after their support. Our crowd just wandered off the pitch without as much as a wave apart from those mentioned above.

45,000 travel to paris, 17,000 travel to cyprus not to mention the **** that some went through with dodgy planes and fog in the Faroes
    lansdowne packed out every time and people giving their eye teeth for tickets. The question I ask is who feels cheated - I DO

Credit where its due and fair play to the Swiss. Id clap em again tonight. Not to uphold any reputation but because earned their play off and if you cant see that, you are the muppet.
    Spot on, they're support was excellent last night, they deserved an ovation, by far the better team.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I didn't think the atmosphere was that great tbh. Better than usual, but that's back handed compliment if ever there is one.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by junkie
    ...because the majority of Irish fans are not used to going to matches to supporting thier club week in week out. Our fans don't know how to sing or support a team properly.
    I go to games whenever I can and I couldn't sing last night. As much as I tried, my heart wasn't in it. Why? Because the players didn't inspire confidence and I was a nervous wreck. I don't know about you, but I find it hard to sing when I'm in that state.

Things were different before when the expectation was low and we celebrated moral victories. Now we expect to be regarded as a serious contender but the players continually fail to deliver. I think we need to get the expectation levels back down to somewhere more realistic and a nice tough draw in the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign might sort that out.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by junkie
    A huge reason as to why the Celtic shirt wearing lepregoons were so dull last night (and over the past god knows number of years)
    Off topic but I seen a picture of the England-Ireland match from '88 and was suprised at how many Celtic jersies were in the crowd back then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    I go to games whenever I can and I couldn't sing last night. As much as I tried, my heart wasn't in it. Why? Because the players didn't inspire confidence and I was a nervous wreck. I don't know about you, but I find it hard to sing when I'm in that state.
    Usually at times when your team isn't putting in the performance it's natural that you'll be more quiet but the lack of singing at Lansdowne has been getting worse and there has been a lack of signing and support even when we have been winning in games.
    2006 predictions:

Premier Division - 1. Shelbourne, 2. Cork City, 3. Derry City, 12. Bohemians.

1st Division - 8. Shamrock Rovers

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Off topic but I seen a picture of the England-Ireland match from '88 and was suprised at how many Celtic jersies were in the crowd back then.
    The bandwaggon was well rolling by then...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Sour grapes it may be but id say theyre sh!tting themselves to be playing in front of the intimidating atmosphere of lansdowne road if they get us in the next campaign where the fans cheer them off the pitch after they rub it in to us in basle when they knock us out of euro qualifiers, time waste lastnight and knock us out of world cup qualifiers. Id say they were p**sing themselves

As i said if thats sour grapes, fair enough, ill take that phrase. Hope they get stuffed in the play offs
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I thought atmosphere started well but died very quickly. Even the eL section was very poor. I definitely think moving the eL area to those crap east bucket seats doesn't help as too spread out.

Seen guy behind me in the lower east stand side section thrown out by the gardai. I didn't see why but did see complains that people standing up

Most people in Lansdowne are used to going to GAA, Rubgy or Corporate tickets in the UK where chanting is rare & only noise is "...go on..." when something happens on the pitch.

I thought Swiss crowd very quiet for most part but not as bad as thefrench who were anonymous.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I thought the atmosphere last night was quite good. Having said that I was in the East Lower Open Stand for the first time and it was quieter than the rest of the East Stand and harder to get the singing going. The cops came in and made a few people who were standing all the time at the front sit down. They also dragged a couple of guys at the back out for the same thing. Completely overboard in my opinion . It also had the effect of inhibiting people from standing even when we were singing Stand Up for the Boys in Green.

On another note just as we got through the turnstiles before the match a girl with a very posh accent in front of me asked the bloke she was with (wearing a suit) "I hope you know where we are going". With people like that in the crowd it's no wonder the atmosphere isn't great.
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotsy
    On another note just as we got through the turnstiles before the match a girl with a very posh accent in front of me asked the bloke she was with (wearing a suit) "I hope you know where we are going". With people like that in the crowd it's no wonder the atmosphere isn't great.
    When I was passing Beggers Bush I heard a load of Irish people wearing Ireland
    hats, with the price tag practicially still on them, asking people for directions to
    the stadium.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was close to that guy getting kicked out by the cops. Was that the case? He kept standing up? For f*ck's sake...I was in East Bucket Wing, standing for the whole game, bunch of blokes behind me weren't singing or cheering or anything. The atmosphere wasn't the best but I will say that a whole load of fans gave everything to it last night and have given everything to it over the past 13 months or so. I don't think all the players can say the same.

A few of us went for a pint in the Dubliner afterwards. I went out to get some cash from the banklink and saw an ad for Lucozade with Damien Duff in it. For some reason, this really p!ssed me off. Stop trying to sell me every miserable sports drink, soccer boot, jersey, telecom company, airline, etc, etc, and just play with some heart, passion, pride and determination for Ireland, that's all most fans ask, I reckon.

Shay Given deserves so much better....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There was a group of men and women behind me. Didn't join in the singing for the whole match from what I could hear. Every once in a while one of them would shout out Up Wexford and they would all cheer.
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast