Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What team should I follow?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What team should I follow?

Basically, I have not followed any team but Manchester United since I was a kid. My dad, being from Galway, has always followed the expected side. Having recently been to a few united games, and having seriously REALLY caught the live football bug, I really don't think I can wait around for the occasional united match that me and my dad can afford. I really want to experience football on a more personal and regular basis...
    See, my friends don't follow football. At all. It's tough enough to find someone to watch a united match with ffs.
    My question is, having been born and bred in Dublin all my life, I would like to have more of an association with a team than "my dad is from there, so I feel I hafta support them".
    My main problem is, I don't know who to support.
    Who should I support? I live in Ayrfield, in Coolock, in Dublin. Am I automatically meant to support a side because of this location? Is there a load of dispute regarding my area that I need to know the background of before deciding? What is the team most supported in my area?
    And so on. If my question is not already clear, it is who should I support?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Knowledge of Dublin isn't the best but think the nearest team to Coolock is Sporting Fingal in the First Division. They don't really have a history so it wouldn't be hard to learn about them.

Easiest option is to move to Sligo and support Rovers...we're the best
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I suppose Sporting Fingal is the closest team to you, and they would really want to be targeting fans like you, who are trying to get into league of ireland football and live nearby.
    But you should come to Tolka instead and support Shels, which is fairly close to you as well sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GalwayRed View Post
    I suppose Sporting Fingal is the closest team to you, and they would really want to be targeting fans like you, who are trying to get into league of ireland football and live nearby.
    But you should come to Tolka instead and support Shels, which is fairly close to you as well sure.
    wont ye be moving soon,

fingal seems the best option, also, there about to buy the first division, so your first year supporting them will be great, instant promotion
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Jaysus! New team eh?
    Even more education please, is it literally proximity that governs support?
    Like, for example, who would I "have supported" prior to the foundation of Sporting Fingal?
    I have to say, I find all this fluctuation in the LoI fascinating, I didn't realise it was so dynamic!
    Is there any particular history of support that would lead me in any particular direction etc?
    As I said, fascinating!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ticktock View Post
    Jaysus! New team eh?
    Even more education please, is it literally proximity that governs support?
    Like, for example, who would I "have supported" prior to the foundation of Sporting Fingal?
    I have to say, I find all this fluctuation in the LoI fascinating, I didn't realise it was so dynamic!
    Is there any particular history of support that would lead me in any particular direction etc?
    As I said, fascinating!

Next closest would be Harps I suppose

Seriously though, its up to yourself, I don't think anyone can tell you who you could support, sure if it was down to me Da, I would have been a Leeds fan (shudder at the thought), I started going to Harps as a kid and got hooked (for some strange reason).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Try out a few clubs a just see what pulls the heart strings

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Galway United take on St Patricks Athletic on Friday evening (6th March) in Richmond Park, Inchicore (KO 7.45pm).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dunne View Post
    Galway United take on St Patricks Athletic on Friday evening (6th March) in Richmond Park, Inchicore (KO 7.45pm).
    Shameless

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Use the Frank Skinner methodology, get a map put a pin in your house and measure the distances to the nearest clubs, the nearest one wins, simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I'd recommend going to a few different games in March/April and see what you think then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Galway, as your dad is from there, they'll play an awful lot in Dublin over the coming year anyway, and it's a good trip for what would be your 'home games'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Easy. You live in northside Dublin. Bohemians is the only native northside Dublin football club in the LoI, and it's been there for almost 120 years. Dalymount Park is probably two miles from your house.

Sporting 'Fingal', aka in real life as north County Dublin, is a makey-uppy entity which is the plaything of some politicians and a developer, while Bohs is owned and run by its members.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    I'd recommend going to a few different games in March/April and see what you think then.
    Best advice on the thread. All the Dublin teams are different in some way; best is to go to a few games and see which you prefer. But be aware that Bohs, Fingal and Shels are all going down the not-sure-if-they'll-be-around-in-three-years route.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Get the map out, put pins where all the teams are (Premier & 1st Division) within an hour's commute from where you live. Give them all a go, starting with the nearest. Judge them by their ethos, style of play, ambition, facilities and craic with the fans. You don't have to select one club straight away or even this season at all. Before you know it, you'll start gravitating to one over the others
    Best of luck and welcome
    Last edited by oldyouth; 02/03/2009 at 9:37 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

2 Teams

I remember it being posted on here before how a lad supported his fathers team 49% and his own team 51%. They would go to the other ones games and when they were playing each other there was always a good rivalry. Could be worth thinking about.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Go to a few games of each of the clubs and make up your own mind. Do not base it on the internet, as it's not representative of the league or individual clubs fans.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Id go for Bohs if I were you as you live in the northside. I live in the south side so ive decided to buy a season ticket for rovers this year.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Strictly speaking you should follow Sporting Fingal or Shels ,but that would prob put you off going to antoher EL game ever again.

There`s only going to be one club in Dublin in the future.Read this post by a fan of our arch enemy and you`ll understand.(Great post by the way BSG)

Originally Posted by Boh_So_Good
    It is called advertising to the locals. The shiny light will draw in the masses. Everyone in Tallaght will know when "their club" is playing. It will psychologically impose itself on the local population. Everytime they see the big light in the sky every estate in Tallaght will think of Rovers. This is why the GAA tried so hard to kill off Rovers in Tallaght as they knew how powerful this kind of thing is.

Brilliant move on Rovers part. I think Rovers will get huge crowds. Was talking to people out there with no interest in LOI and they are literally salivating to get in and support Rovers. The club are set forever really. As a Bohs fan I should not be saying this, but everyone in the League should be wishing Rovers well in Tallaght as this is the future for all of us. If Rovers in Tallaght takes off big time the rest of the league will gain

The future is bright,The future is Rovers
    Last edited by srfc-1901; 02/03/2009 at 10:29 AM.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    At the moment I'm so disillusioned with this jokeshop of a league and feeling so betrayed by those in charge that I'd be seriously tempted to say just stay completely clear of it.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast