Thanked in
    4 Posts

League in Chaos

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    what is it with football on this island, up here its just as farcical and childish, if not worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Exclamation ......................................

Well really, football fans and everyone involved all the way down through the ranks in the system are to blame aswell because by all of us tolerating it, we are saying that it is OK for this to happen.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think a full merger with the FAI can only be a good thing. Dillon has done a crap job, time to try something new?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Eircom clubs spending €20million a year

FAI Chief Executive Fran Rooney stated last night at a 90-minute media briefing in Dublin that he believes eircom League clubs are currently ‘spending close to €20 million per annum’ in order to survive in a domestic football scene that he feels is 'undercapitalised'.

Rooney outlined some of his and the FAI’s plans for the future of the game in Ireland at Jury’s hotel, just hours after the controversial resignation of League chairman Brendan Dillon and General manager Tommy Allen.

According to Rooney, a former manager of the Republic of Ireland ladies side, "the league receives more in development and capital grants than all the other strands of Irish football put together. We cannot run away from the fact that many clubs are struggling on a day to day basis with financial difficulties and this is a real problem. Fundamental to a better eircom League is the need for further investment and incentives."

"That’s why we exist and we need to continually keep our focus on this issue. This brings with it a duty to support the game to the very best of our ability and for the betterment of all who are involved in the game, not just one League. We need to raise the revenue streams significantly across the board by way of a possible Football Trust, increased TV deals, national and local sponsors and by working directly with the clubs," he insisted.

He envisages the setting up of two working groups to include club representatives, a fans’ group, the PFAI, the Irish Sports Council, the SWAI (Soccer Writers’ Assoc. of Ireland) and general sponsors.

Suggestions of a break down in communication between the association and eircom League officials were rubbished by the Chief Executive, who claimed that his “door is always open and communication and discussion are essential.” He also added that a framework to optimise communication within the FAI has received favourably support from the local leagues and affiliates.

"We are working very hard to include all strands of the game in Ireland. One of my ongoing priorities is to include the voices of the grass roots in what we do and how we shape the game into the future.” Eircom League officials are due to reconvene for a meeting later today to discuss an eventful past few days.

from www.rte.ie

he's talking a good game anyway, like the idea of fans being involved. i'm actually starting to like Frano.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He seems to be intent on a dictatorship...
    He should be given the chance to do things his way though, he seems to feel he can get clubs better run, more money coming in and the whole thing on a more sound business-like footing.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I like his style. He's certainly shaking things up in Merrion Square. All his proposals are positive ones.

I don't think he's just mouthing off, if he was you wouldn't have people like Dillon and Allen resigning. I don't know why they are so opposed to changes that need to be implemented.

Dare I say it; do you think that we may have a CEO in the FAI that actually cares about the eircom League?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Originally posted by Robinski
    Dillon has done a crap job, time to try something new?
    Any reasons? From what he's saying, he's been denied info at every turn and the FAI have been undermining him from the start. Fairly hard to make progress under those circumstances. He was elected unanimously (I think - also think there was someone went up against him late on), so the clubs had confidence in him. He had to resign from the UCD committee after nearly 20 years and almost our entire league history to take up the position, so he obviously wanted the job and knew what he wanted to do with it.

Don't think we're ever going to know exactly what was going on though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Inevitable

Given Rooney's background in business it was inevitable that he would have his own ideas and try to push them through. After all that's why he was appointed.

I don't know anyting about the guys that resigned but Rooney is full time and is being paid big bucks so I'd say give him his way for a couple of years and see what happens.

He couldn't be any worse than the people there previously.

Heard on the radio this morning that Bohs and shels have backed Rooney in the hope that they'll get big slices of any FAI grants flying around and that will help them out of bother.

I doubt in junior/schoolboy leagues would fancy a lot of FAI money keeping these clubs afloat.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by pineapple stu
    Any reasons? From what he's saying, he's been denied info at every turn and the FAI have been undermining him from the start. Fairly hard to make progress under those circumstances. He was elected unanimously (I think - also think there was someone went up against him late on), so the clubs had confidence in him. He had to resign from the UCD committee after nearly 20 years and almost our entire league history to take up the position, so he obviously wanted the job and knew what he wanted to do with it.

Don't think we're ever going to know exactly what was going on though...
    I think that goes both ways re the denial of information.

The clash of personalities started when Rooney allowed Bohs and Pat's to appeal the 48 hour rule after the FAI Cup Semi Final replay. Dillon wanted the Friday league games to go ahead and Rooney (rightly so) allowed them to be played at a later date so the teams could rest. That just sounds like common sense to me.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Any reasons?
    How about loading the fixtures for the tail end of the season, rather than getting the midweeks out of the way when the weather was good?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    League in chaos????

Definitely not, this is a blessing in disguise. Time for the league to be run properly, the clubs are trying to become more professional so it is only right that a bit of professionalism is evident in the running of the league.

Whether the FAI are the people to do it, who knows, but one thing for sure is that someone new is needed.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by DruggyDrog
    League in chaos????

Definitely not, this is a blessing in disguise. Time for the league to be run properly, the clubs are trying to become more professional so it is only right that a bit of professionalism is evident in the running of the league.

Whether the FAI are the people to do it, who knows, but one thing for sure is that someone new is needed.
    I couldn't agree with you more DruggyDrog.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Originally posted by Macy
    How about loading the fixtures for the tail end of the season, rather than getting the midweeks out of the way when the weather was good?
    Fair enough, if that was his doing. Just hate seeing posts going "He's crap" and not giving any reasons - that's going to tabloid journalism level!

Don't know enough to form an opinion either way, just wanted to get a reason or two for the comments!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fair enough, if that was his doing. Just hate seeing posts going "He's crap" and not giving any reasons - that's going to tabloid journalism level!

Don't know enough to form an opinion either way, just wanted to get a reason or two for the comments!
    Reasons:

1. Badly planned fixtures (as previously mentioned above)
    2. Trying to force the league matches to go ahead after the FAI Cup Semi Final replay - within 48 hours.
    3. Not promoting the league enough.
    4. Not promoting the league enough.
    5. Not promoting the league enough.

Ok, I'll tell you what I'll do; I take back the 'he's crap' remark and replace it with 'he's gone'. Either way I'm happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Conor Brophy wrote a great piece in the Tribune yesterday on Rooney (Business, pg. 3).

In a nutshell I think (dictator or no) he's good for the FAI, he's a former player and I don't doubt his committment to the EL. He's been good to the fans so far, and seems to want their involvment on a variety of levels.

With so many sponsorship contracts up for renewal (and the stadium fiasco going on) I'm increasingly inclined to believe that he's the man for the job.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up

Dictatorship is what football in this country needs. Few years of executive decision making would be a vast improvement as the buck would stop at 1 desk.

Was amazed to hear recently that eirocm give the league almost €1million a year but is more or less all spent on wages!!! What do those people do?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lets try to be clear on things...

During the summer, CEO pushed for salary package to be linked to revenue he brings in. Dillon and some others were concerned about this.

CEO threatened to have home games in UK, because FIFA 'Told' him temp seats in Lansdowne not allowed - FIFA never made a decision on this - so why the lie to us the Fans?

Eddie Cox, commercial manager quitely goes away from Merrion Square. Mr. Cox had his name on many commercial deals - whose name is on them now?

Dillon and Allen resign - these guys served Irish football and seemed to be highly respected - why force them out? The eircom league is one of the biggest recipients of funds!

None of this is because CEO cares about the eircom league. CEO cares about the percentage due to him on revenue he brings in,plain and simple - try to see it for what it really is....

His style, (by not telling Mr. Dillon and Mr. Allen about what he was up to effectively kept them in the dark - for the good of Irish Football?) the way he said "his door was always open" sadly conflicts with the reality - Remember Fahy? being locked out at the start?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good to the fans? Threatening to take home games to the UK? How is that good for the fans? Correct me if I'm wrong but if I have to pay for a ticket for me and my son to see the boys in green play at Lansdowne Road, then thats much cheaper than having to get a plane, boat, accommodation in the UK + plus the price of tickets - purely because Rooney wants more money. FIFA never said that temp seats could NOT be used - this was contrived by Rooney to agressively get his way...

Furthermore, that edition of the Tribune was the only Irish Sunday paper not to cover the fact that Dillon and Allen had resigned when every other paper considered this to be important.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wow! dean02, did the CEO do something to you personally?

The salary package is, I think, irrelevant, as long as the man does his job and promotes not only the eL but also the national team. Three high profile home fixtures over the coming months, with a good allocation for eL clubs (not sure what it is yet) is not to be sneered at.

Regarding the 'threat' to play home matches in UK, surely you must have seen that this was just a ploy to scare the government (by loss of revenue) into making a decision re the national stadium, which as we all know is being made today. Good work I say.

The CEO played the domestic game, of course he has a soft spot for it. Who doesn't who has/is involved.

I don't know about you but when I leave work and go on holidays out of the country, I generally clear up my work space and lock everything way. One year I came back and my PC was gone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast