ONE of Kildare's most promising young footballers, 19-year-old Pierre Ennis from Maynooth, has returned to Ireland after three years on the books of Premiership giants Aston Villa.

Ennis, whose brother Karl is a member of the Kildare senior football team, has played at U-19 level for the Republic of Ireland but is also very highly regarded in Kildare GAA circles where comparisons have been made with the fledgling Larry Tompkins.

While the player himself says that he has agreed to sign a one-year deal with Dublin City, Kildare manager P‡draig Nolan has certainly not given up the chase. Dublin City boss John Gill is due back from holidays shortly and Ennis says that he is looking forward to working with the man who formerly served as Dermot Keely's former right hand man at Kildare County.

"I have agreed terms with Dublin City but I haven't signed as yet. I came home before Christmas but I had been in contact with City before returning."

Pierre's story is all too familiar, as every year so many Irish youngsters try their luck at Premiership clubs only to return in a year or so with hopes dashed. Thankfully, the Eircom League has been going from strength over the past few seasons and now an opportunity is there to earn a decent living in the domestic game.

The Maynooth youngster played his last competitive Gaelic game in the Division One final of the U-16FL in 2000 when Na Fianna narrowly pipped Maynooth in a classic encounter. In the interim, his only chances to play the game have been confined to challenge games with his club on summer trips home from Villa Park.

Kildare supremo P‡draig Nolan is undeterred, however, and makes no secret of his eagerness to get the talented youngster to resume his Gaelic football career.

"I spoke to Pierre last summer and told him that if it didn't work out at Villa then I'd be very anxious to talk to him. Initially I'd be hoping to add him to the U-21 squad. It'll take him a couple of months to get back in tune with the Gaelic and in that time I'd have no problems with him mixing both codes.

"However, were he to progress to the senior team then I'd expect total commitment.

"One way or another he's a young man with a very bright future in sport and I wish him well in whatever choice he makes", Nolan states.

Followers of both codes of football will view developments over the next few months with great interest.