Page 64 of 257 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    on newstalk earlier as well mentioning that he dodged it. but don't worry he is still ours to lose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Fully expect him to be in the squad for the England game.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    based on what Nigel?and if he isn't what say you then?

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer...-31157862.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Fully expect him to be in the squad for the England game.
    Possibly - Hodgson might see a trip to Dublin as a good chance for Jack to impress.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Possibly - Hodgson might see a trip to Dublin as a good chance for Jack to impress.
    Glad someone got it!
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Apparently sherwood expects grealish to go with England. Kinda sense that myself. Fine if that's what he wants but feel it's a little cheap that he played with us all the way through to u21 level and then fecks off. Of course this could all blow over in a few weeks if he has a quiet end to the season.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I am afraid he'll become another Kevin Gallen in terms of being impelled to choose England because it will increase his value to everybody else. Good luck to him whatever he chooses but no point losing sleep over it.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    We have to be Grealishtic here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Apparently sherwood expects grealish to go with England. Kinda sense that myself. Fine if that's what he wants but feel it's a littlIf theap that he played with us all the way through to u21 level and then fecks off. Of course this could all blow over in a few weeks if he has a quiet end to the season.
    Don't think Sherwood was really in the know if you're referring to his comments the other week.

It's not as if this situation has ever been beyond our control though. We've been happy selecting Grealish in full knowledge of his dual eligibility. If we didn't want the circus we have now, we could have given him an ultimatum long ago and taken the option out of the equation. If we're happy enough selecting him under present circumstances however and without any sort of assurance/commitment from him, we can't really complain if he takes advantage of the situation/his rights, of which we're very well aware, and then declares for England.

That's not necessarily to say I think he will; it'd be quite a u-turn after saying he hoped to be back in the green by September just a month ago. I'm not necessarily saying giving him an ultimatum would have been the right way to deal with a young lad either - it'd be pretty hardline - but we shouldn't make out like we're going to be poor hapless victims in this if he does switch when we're happy prolonging the matter ourselves in hope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    There is a sudden change here in the mindset without anything linked to jack himself which was always the barometer and stick used to beat down the naysayers.nothing at all has changed with regard to him being in exile from international duty which was decided upon ages ago. so why the sudden change of belief /opinion on here now?

its clear that he enjoyed playing for Ireland, it always has been, but it's also just as clear from the outset over a year of so ago that the lad is waiting because he doesn't see his future wholly with Ireland and could easily have his head turned by England.

The fact that we gave him the chance at senior and he hasn't taken it, if England offer the same at this stage then I can't see him turning it down.

The only hope I have at this stage is that England don't call him up for senior by September if/when he makes his decision.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 21/04/2015 at 7:52 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I am afraid he'll become another Kevin Gallen in terms of being impelled to choose England because it will increase his value to everybody else. Good luck to him whatever he chooses but no point losing sleep over it.
    Ah stop.Kevin Gallen was never in the same league as grealish. If he continues on as he is now it doesn't matter a jot who he plays for internationally. stop covering yerself now.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    One good performance (coupled with, admittedly, bags of potential) and the English hype-machine has been cranked into motion, close to over-heating.

This hysteria has spilled over to Ireland and it's difficult to tell if that's justified. The lad did say a month ago he'd be back with us in September. I'm sure the English FA were aware of his potential prior to the Liverpool game, so is it really a case that they're only now employing a more aggressive approach to getting Grealish to switch? Newspapers are reporting they'll try to bring him into the under-20 squad. Well I think that anyone who followed English football could have told you for a while that Grealish was more than good enough to make this squad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England...m#Latest_squad

If all of this has turned Grealish's head then I'm very disappointed. For a lad of his ability and confidence then I'm sure he and his father always knew that a day like Sunday would come- even before he collected that award and stated he looked forward to rejoining the fold in September.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 21/04/2015 at 8:28 AM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Article in today's Daily Telegraph about the tug-of-war over Grealish http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...d-England.html
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    There is a sudden change here in the mindset without anything linked to jack himself which was always the barometer and stick used to beat down the naysayers.nothing at all has changed with regard to him being in exile from international duty which was decided upon ages ago. so why the sudden change of belief /opinion on here now?
    I must have missed the board memo...

In seriousness, I don't think there's any consensus here on this matter. Posters have varying thoughts on it. I don't know why you think there is some Foot.ie orthodoxy that happens to be the exact opposite of what your own position on whatever the topic might be. Yourself and TOWK (and others who suspect a switch is a near certainty) are members of this forum too.

Regarding Grealish, I don't see anything as having changed. The media explosion contains very little substance. He's told us he hopes to be back wearing the green in September. That was a very clear expression of intent, so I'm willing to put my faith in him.

The only hope I have at this stage is that England don't call him up for senior by September if/when he makes his decision.
    Before September, they'd have to call him into their senior squad. He isn't re-eligible for their under-21s until then as he's already played competitively for our under-21s this campaign.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    from that article:
    So effective was Grealish’s performance in helping Aston Villa secure an FA Cup final place on May 30 that some commentators in the English media were likening the potential “loss” of the winger to another nation in the same realm as the case of Ryan Giggs snubbing them for Wales 24 years ago.
    Giggs never snubbed England for Wales, he never qualified for them in the first place.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    And even if he did qualify, this notion that they could have got him if only they tried is ridiculously arrogant. Born in Wales to Welsh parents, absolutely nothing to suggest he would even have considered playing for England.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    It talks about England possibly hoping to bring him into their under-20 squad. As far as I know, that isn't a competitive FIFA/UEFA-recognised age-level, at least not in Europe anyway, so he'd neither have to request a switch nor would he be tied by playing at that level for England. I'm pretty sure he'd be able to play for us again after.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Ah stop.Kevin Gallen was never in the same league as grealish. If he continues on as he is now it doesn't matter a jot who he plays for internationally. stop covering yerself now.
    It's not like you to jump in without reading a comment first. I said "in terms of being impelled to choose England because it will increase his value to everybody else." I never compared their quality.

Please do try to read Paul.