Results 4,961 to 4,980 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    Here's one for Championship afficionados... What's the story on Marcus Harness of Ipswich? Kenny brought him to a game in Dublin a couple of years ago. Is he qualified for us at present? Would he be an addition to what we currently have?
    To me he's another Ronan Curtis. Doubt he'd anything to our squad.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    Here's one for Championship afficionados... What's the story on Marcus Harness of Ipswich? Kenny brought him to a game in Dublin a couple of years ago. Is he qualified for us at present? Would he be an addition to what we currently have?
    He is under an Irish flag on most apps etc for a while now. You'd assume it was sorted by now if he went about it back then.

Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    To me he's another Ronan Curtis. Doubt he'd anything to our squad.
    Until recently maybe, but Harness is involved at Ipswich most games & has a goal and several assists since an early September brief injury. This includes all three assists in a 3.2 over Wolves in the league cup. I wouldn't have him in ahead of say Ogbene, but I wouldn't compare him with Curtis at the moment anyway. Ipswich are in good shape, could be in the promotion mix.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I've seen Ipswich a few times and they are great to watch. I had dismissed Harness but he made me sit up and take notice a couple times. If he keeps his place in that team he's absolutely worth looking at again. Ipswich and Leicester are by far the best 2 teams in the division so far
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think Harness has a bit of quality in him. Not sure what his real level is though. We all thought the same about Richie Towell!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think Harness has a bit of quality in him. Not sure what his real level is though. We all thought the same about Richie Towell!
    We are always good for bringing in a lad in his late twenties who goes on to win 20/30 caps. Harness could be interesting if he keeps up current form. Sometimes it takes a change of attitude from a player in later years, acting a bit more professionally or even just the right club manager to finally get the best out of him. I wouldnt be screaming for his inclusion just yet, but if Ipswich are in promotion race come March and hes been a bit part of that, he'd have to come into consideration strongly.

Jack Taylor cant get into that Ipswich team despite doing well in cup, if he can break in there I think he'd be a huge addition to us.

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Kenny seems to have recruited another young Championship talent:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67139149

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Despite having never previously played in the second tier, Key has started every Swansea league game this season, initially in an unfamiliar role on the left and now in his favourite right-wingback slot.
    He has been arguably Swansea's best player during a dramatic start to the campaign, with new head coach Michael Duff failing to win in his first seven league games - and facing questions over his future as a result - before a run of four straight victories.

The most recent success came at Plymouth Argyle, with Key scoring Swansea's third goal in front of numerous members of his family.
    A wing-back who can cover on the left is a very useful position for us. Here's hoping he continues to look comfortable in the Championship; he'll be in contention for a call-up immediately.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    A wing-back who can cover on the left is a very useful position for us. Here's hoping he continues to look comfortable in the Championship; he'll be in contention for a call-up immediately.
    Good ~ ~ We could do with un-earthing some midfielders ~ ~ Is there anyone out there ? !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post

2 in a week, is Kenny trying to create a job for himself within the FAI as a recruiter? Don Givens got a cushy number as a scout for a few years after losing the u21 job.

I would actually like to see Kenny in a role with the FAI. Its not like the end of the O'Neill and Trap eras were I got to the point where I was so sick of them talking down our players that I didnt like them on a personal level. Kenny did do an excellent job with the u21s. Under him it was the first time I think in our history that we even looked competitive at that level. He is a man very passionate about Irish football and by all accounts hes very good guy who speaks well in the right setting. The pressures of the senior job was too much for him, but I always go back to an hour long interview he gave to Off The Ball just before he took over, where he talked about his vision for the job etc. All the right things were said and he came across very articulate. Thats the Stephen Kenny that I would like in some senior FAI role, and not just lost to Irish football like Kerr was.

12. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post

Interesting sporting pedigree if he’s anything like his great grandad. Could be destined for Irish stardom!…

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2010/09/14...ham-story/amp/

Could be a Michael Duff tip-off. Looks like he’s turned a corner at Swansea. Could be one to keep an eye on.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    He's keeping the young lad Harrison Ashby, who Newcastle bought from West Ham back in January out of the team since switching to the right.

If Transfermarkt is correct they played 4-3-3 in their last game. Hopefully they stick to playing a back four rather than WBs. Could do with lads playing in that system weekly.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MancIrishWolf View Post
    Interesting sporting pedigree if he’s anything like his great grandad. Could be destined for Irish stardom!…

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2010/09/14...ham-story/amp/

Could be a Michael Duff tip-off. Looks like he’s turned a corner at Swansea. Could be one to keep an eye on.
    I was wondering what side of the tracks Duff could be on until I saw his father was in the Royal Air Force!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I was wondering what side of the tracks Duff could be on until I saw his father was in the Royal Air Force!
    I don't actually know but maybe it's more complicated than you think ~ ~ As so much of Irish history is.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Was watching Liverpool u18 highlights and Kieran Morrison stood out - reminded me a bit of a left footed Curtis Jones, cutting in from the left, somewhere between a midfielder and a winger. He's born in England and is a Northern Ireland u19. Would be a good addition if he were interested ala Sean Moore. When it comes to NI players, I think you have to be proactive and early in your approach, as if they're any way decent, then they'll be capped by 18 (eg Conor Bradley, Shea Charles, Callum Marshall).
    Last edited by elatedscum; 24/10/2023 at 1:31 AM.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    2 in a week, is Kenny trying to create a job for himself within the FAI as a recruiter? Don Givens got a cushy number as a scout for a few years after losing the u21 job.

I would actually like to see Kenny in a role with the FAI. Its not like the end of the O'Neill and Trap eras were I got to the point where I was so sick of them talking down our players that I didnt like them on a personal level. Kenny did do an excellent job with the u21s. Under him it was the first time I think in our history that we even looked competitive at that level. He is a man very passionate about Irish football and by all accounts hes very good guy who speaks well in the right setting. The pressures of the senior job was too much for him, but I always go back to an hour long interview he gave to Off The Ball just before he took over, where he talked about his vision for the job etc. All the right things were said and he came across very articulate. Thats the Stephen Kenny that I would like in some senior FAI role, and not just lost to Irish football like Kerr was.
    I'd love to see the back of him and never hear his name mentioned again. He has put us at least a decade back in development. It'll be a long hard slog to claw our way back up the rankings and qualification pots.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    If Kenny can get us a couple ( or more ) of decent midfielders ~ A huge amount can and will be forgiven ! ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Looking at the lineups for Celtic - Atletico Madrid in the uefa youth league, and I noticed this forward on the Madrid subs bench - Javier Alonso Moran
    There's been a few players from Spain called into squads recently, anyone know anything about him?
    https://www.atleticodemadrid.com/jug...oran-2021-2022
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Looking at the lineups for Celtic - Atletico Madrid in the uefa youth league, and I noticed this forward on the Madrid subs bench - Javier Alonso Moran
    There's been a few players from Spain called into squads recently, anyone know anything about him?
    https://www.atleticodemadrid.com/jug...oran-2021-2022
    From a quick bit of internet sleuthing, this appears to be his grandfather and the origin of the Moran name. instagram: @tmp1812 (Tomas Moran) - so I'd guess whatever Irish link there might be would predate eligibility

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    From a quick bit of internet sleuthing, this appears to be his grandfather and the origin of the Moran name. instagram: @tmp1812 (Tomas Moran) - so I'd guess whatever Irish link there might be would predate eligibility
    Moran is also a Spanish surname

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    If Kenny can get us a couple ( or more ) of decent midfielders ~ A huge amount can and will be forgiven ! ! !
    Matt O’Reilly has Irish qualification, but I’m guessing is no longer eligible having represented England and Denmark at under age level.