Page 241 of 257 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243251 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,820 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    According to Neil O'Riordan he's eligible and open minded about who he plays for down the line. Which is obviously code for "If England doesn't work out Ireland is an option".

There are quite a few dual eligible Irish/English players currently in and around the English age group squads. Off the top of my head there's -

Sonny Perkins
    Liam Delap
    CJ Egan-Riley
    Louie Barry
    Dennis Cirkin
    Michael Golding

Possibly a couple more that I'm forgetting as well. And probably others that we don't even realise are eligible. Realistically, given the depth England have, it's likely that one or two of them will end up with us down the line. Cirkin in particular would be of interest given our issues at left back. Also, he's Irish born, albeit he didn't grow up in Ireland.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    According to Neil O'Riordan he's eligible and open minded about who he plays for down the line. Which is obviously code for "If England doesn't work out Ireland is an option".

There are quite a few dual eligible Irish/English players currently in and around the English age group squads. Off the top of my head there's -

Sonny Perkins
    Liam Delap
    CJ Egan-Riley
    Louie Barry
    Dennis Cirkin
    Michael Golding

Possibly a couple more that I'm forgetting as well. And probably others that we don't even realise are eligible. Realistically, given the depth England have, it's likely that one or two of them will end up with us down the line. Cirkin in particular would be of interest given our issues at left back. Also, he's Irish born, albeit he didn't grow up in Ireland.
    With Carsley being lined up as the next possible manager it wouldn't surprise me if this was one of the positives in his favour of getting the job. They could be hoping that if Carsley came on board it makes things easier for attracting some dual nationals.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Noticed Leslie Adekoya in FA Cup highlights. 18 years old, plays for Accrington Stanley. Would be eligible for the u19s presumably.

Born in Ireland, grew up in England. Looked fast in the clips on MOTD that he featured

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Apparently Spurs are about to activate their buy back clause from when they sold Dennis Cirkin to Sunderland. He's only twenty, has made 55 appearances for Sunderland, was born in Dublin to Latvian parents but moved to England when he was three and has come up with their underage system.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    You'd have to think there's at least some chance that Cirkin ends up in the not quite good enough for England/too good for Latvia situation that sees him end up with us in a couple of years. He'll likely do the next cycle with England Under 21s though.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    You'd have to think there's at least some chance that Cirkin ends up in the not quite good enough for England/too good for Latvia situation that sees him end up with us in a couple of years. He'll likely do the next cycle with England Under 21s though.
    Don't think he will play for us doesn't seem to be any genuine connection. Got sent off when he played against us under 17
    https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/irel...ng-in-tallaght

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Whos this guy? https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-42280897.html

I'm assuming he wants the switch.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    Can't say he's a player I know anything about but, from his personal point of view, if he wants to play for Ireland now would be the best time to come in. He doesn't seem to have played competitively for NI yet, so there would be no major paperwork issues and he would retain the option to switch back to them in future if he doesn't make the grade with us.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Drummer in Manic St. Preachers and has a park in Irishtown named after him.

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Drummer in Manic St. Preachers and has a park in Irishtown named after him.
    Already ? !

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Has made quite an impression with Cliftonville and attracting interest from England apparently

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64205834

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Has made quite an impression with Cliftonville and attracting interest from England apparently

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64205834
    Interesting that he started as a LB and has broken into the Cliftonville team as a winger. Brighton, Newcastle, Everton, QPR, Ipswich, and Derby are supposedly tracking the player.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Liam Delap has left Stoke and joined Preston on loan. With Cannon already gone there too Troy will have a bit of competition for places

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Young lad the FAI are tracking scored a cracker last night. Only turned 17 in August and has been in great form for Cliftonville recently. FAI will have to move fast if they want to get him in for the 19s March because at this rate could get a senior call up from NI.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    That's just awful defending. Decent finish. Nothing to write home about a level well below where we'd want him to be playing
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    Was it ever bottomed out as to whether Kieran Dowell was Irish eligible or not? He's 25 now and hasn't quite developed into the player he was maybe expected to but he had a good start under David Wagner with two goals for Norwich yesterday, and we could definitely do with an attacking central midfielder at that level to compete with Knight.

All his English underage caps were before 2020 so if he has an Irish grandparent he'd be eligible (obviously he'd also need to actually want to play for us!).

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Was it ever bottomed out as to whether Kieran Dowell was Irish eligible or not? He's 25 now and hasn't quite developed into the player he was maybe expected to but he had a good start under David Wagner with two goals for Norwich yesterday, and we could definitely do with an attacking central midfielder at that level to compete with Knight.

All his English underage caps were before 2020 so if he has an Irish grandparent he'd be eligible (obviously he'd also need to actually want to play for us!).
    I looked him up on Wikipedia (the font of all genuine knowledge) when I saw he scored a brace for Norwich and it says he is qualified through an Irish grandparent.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Jack McGlynn has been mentioned as a possible call up recently, but he's been included in the US U20 squad for a training camp
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Wonder if they didn't want to call him up to the seniors for this training camp or he preferred to stay with the 20s to avoid unnecessary caps if he's not sure who to play with yet. U20s manager is assisting the senior team for this camp too.

US have been the one nation that were aggressively trying to get dual national players to declare with them and while he's already their player we've been pushing for him to switch.

They've also included other players that are eligible for the U20s in the senior camp so not like they're letting U20s stay with the U20s to prepare for the U20 Cup.

Weird enough too one of those U20s called up is Jonathan Gomez. Made his senior debut for the US in a friendly back in Dec 2021, made his senior debut for Mexico in friendly back in April 2022, and back with the US senior team again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    RE: McGlynn and whether he'd be good enough for us -- to get 42 MLS appearances by age 19 is no small thing, especially for a team as strong as Philadelphia (No. 1 in the Eastern Conference during league play and MLS Cup finalists). Assuming there's more upside potential there, I think he'd be a worthwhile addition. I'm not suggesting he'd be a guaranteed starter immediately but he has the potential to push on and become an option for us.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ