Results 3,941 to 3,960 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    It'd be great if they acted like Northern Ireland and not the Great British D team.
    They are both exactly the same thing. They do act like like Northern Ireland which is in essence a D rate GB.

a) England
    b) Scotland
    c) Wales
    d) NI

Literally Great Britain’s “D”.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Southgate strikes again. The moment there's news of Kalvin Phillips being eligible for Ireland and presumably with Kenny making contact, Southgate calls him up (no reason to think this except Kenny has shown diligence with Ogbene and Sykes and I'm sure when he became aware of Phillips availability, he would have made contact). Southgate leaves out Grealish, Dele Alli, Madison and Barkley to call up a player who has never played a premier league match... Cynical...

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Must say I have a chuckle every time an England squad is named and Grealish not in it. Petty I know, but it gives me some joy

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Must say I have a chuckle every time an England squad is named and Grealish not in it. Petty I know, but it gives me some joy
    I find it a little funny because you just know he's at home moaning to his daddy about Southgate.

And Southgate has gone and named a list of lads ahead of him, basically confirming Greenwood has leapfrogged him too: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-40037849.html

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    Agents are playing Southgate like a fiddle in England. In this case it was more the link to Jamaica than Ireland to be honest, but it was a clear tactic from the start.

It's not even about playing for England, it's just about becoming an "England International" because you can basically double your transfer value and wages by being one. Easy money for player and agent, yet Southgate falls for it every time.

I'd say, once Southgate is finished with the England team, he'll struggle badly in club management, like Coleman did after Wales. International football can hide a lot of weaknesses in managers if they have a few top level players in their international teams.

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Agents are playing Southgate like a fiddle in England. In this case it was more the link to Jamaica than Ireland to be honest, but it was a clear tactic from the start.

It's not even about playing for England, it's just about becoming an "England International" because you can basically double your transfer value and wages by being one. Easy money for player and agent, yet Southgate falls for it every time.

I'd say, once Southgate is finished with the England team, he'll struggle badly in club management, like Coleman did after Wales. International football can hide a lot of weaknesses in managers if they have a few top level players in their international teams.
    Southgate’s club form prior to England wasn’t great at all. I think he got very lucky in the World Cup. Easy group with Tunisia and Panama. Took a 91st minute winner to beat Tunisia. Lost to Belgium as well.

In the knockouts, they got Colombia (who they only beat on penalties) then Sweden in the quarter before being beaten by Croatia in the semi.

Meanwhile the other side of the draw had France, Belgium, Brazil, Uruguay, Portugal, Argentina.

Suddenly he’s gotten the best tournament result since 66 - when they could just as easily have gone out in the last 16 or group stages and then the narrative would be entirely different and he would probably have been sacked and replaced by Mourinho or someone...

Even getting the job was only because Big Sam couldn’t keep his greasy mitts of an extra few bob and he was send packing faster than you can say entrapment.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't rate him either but, in terms of aggressively tying players, he's only doing what many here say we should be doing.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    England will be humiliated by Germany or Belgium one day and that will be him gone.

I dont agree with this business of ireland capping a guy in the last minute or taking a guy who has a friendly cap for someone else

What southgate is doing is very cynical. He is knowingly ruining the international careers of certain players. He knows dawn well he will never play nathan Redmond. Kalvin phillips will play once for him and then will not be brought to the euros. Next manager comes in and says no thanks kalvin I'm going for the guy from man u or liverpool

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    England will be humiliated by Germany or Belgium one day and that will be him gone.

I dont agree with this business of ireland capping a guy in the last minute or taking a guy who has a friendly cap for someone else

What southgate is doing is very cynical. He is knowingly ruining the international careers of certain players. He knows dawn well he will never play nathan Redmond. Kalvin phillips will play once for him and then will not be brought to the euros. Next manager comes in and says no thanks kalvin I'm going for the guy from man u or liverpool
    Interesting trends right enough. I wonder. Jack grealish will be 25 soon... he will be 26 at least before he plays for England regularly. Rice seems to be different in that hes more what southgate needs in that position..

Players with a choice may need to evaluate that 1 cap benefit to their salaries against anyway making plenty of money and having a long career with ireland /scotland.. whomever.

Grealish is becoming a cautionary tale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Would youse take him back? (it could happen with the rule change although it would be difficult for both sides to walk it back)

I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    He still wouldn't qualify even under the new rules.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Well feck him so.

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Would youse take him back? (it could happen with the rule change although it would be difficult for both sides to walk it back)

I'd have him back in a heartbeat.
    No I cant stand him. I'm a United fan too and the rumors of him to United make me cringe.

I'm delighted that even with rule changes we don't have to go through another will he wont he saga. Hes a tool who thinks hes better than he is

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    He still wouldn't qualify even under the new rules.
    Is that a certainty though ? Seems to be a maybe

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I don't rate him either but, in terms of aggressively tying players, he's only doing what many here say we should be doing.
    I think most people have got him wrong, i think with the youthful nature of his squads, and his own experience in the pressure cooker that is England international football, hes exactly the man they need. HEs done a good job and no one can deny that, he might not be right for Chelsea or Man UTD but hes more than suited to England, at present.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I think most people have got him wrong, i think with the youthful nature of his squads, and his own experience in the pressure cooker that is England international football, hes exactly the man they need. HEs done a good job and no one can deny that, he might not be right for Chelsea or Man UTD but hes more than suited to England, at present.
    He's doing fine, but I do agree that the kind of jammy World Cup run elevates the perception of his performance to a much higher place than it ought to be.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 26/08/2020 at 3:44 PM.

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Is that a certainty though ? Seems to be a maybe
    Yep under the possible new rules if you have played for the country that you have applied to transfer too at any level your a goner

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Surely its after the transfer? or did grealish play 21s after he transferred?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Yep. He played after

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    How much of us “Losing “ Grealish and Rice was down to Money. Big Money to be made for Player and Club if they do turn out to be successful England internationals. If money is your God then it was a No Brainer for Grealish and Rice ! !