Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Met Greg @ Fota on Ice - interesteing conversation

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Met Greg @ Fota on Ice - interesteing conversation...........!

As the title would suggest I bumped into Greg at Fota on Ice ( not literally - he was outside the ice rink watching friends ) - I was going to ring you Corner as I know you'd love to chat with him

Very nice guy and had some interesting things to say.

He said Dolan was in Dublin at the moment checking out new players and he seemed confident we would have a few new signings soon.

When I complimented the team on a good season it was interesting to hear that the team were bitterly disapointed not winning something last season ( a winning attitude which was refreashing ).

He also said that the team were backing training in Rochestown Park on their own personal training programs ( off their own bat - good attitude ) even though they are not officially due back until January.

On Fenn I said I thought he was a good signing and he agreed .... although he expressed a bit of a concern as to where Dolan was going to play him. We both thought the competition was good for all.

He also said the team feel they need to get even fitter for next season and seemed to be really focused on the coming year.

I have to say I got a really good feeling from talking to him - really nice guy and was well up for the year ahead.
    Irish by birth,
    Cork by the grace of God.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Exclamation ...........................................

Good to hear ..... whatever your opinion of the guy on the pitch, he is a sound bloke off it.

Looking foward to next season already.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    we'll see tonite if all the good work in the gym will be wasted on one evening of gorging on food and drink

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just as long as he does some of his famous opera singing tonight we'll all be happy!
    Champions!

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts

Re: Met Greg @ Fota on Ice - interesteing conversation...........!

Originally posted by Counting Crow
    He also said that the team were backing training in Rochestown Park on their own personal training programs ( off their own bat - good attitude ) even though they are not officially due back until January.
    Actually they were told to train themselves during the off-season. It all sounds quite good though, Cork City are closing in on professionalism I feel. Good luck with it.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As McCarthy proved with Ireland a good team spirit counts for a lot. Is good to hear.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think what Greg meant was that Dolan was in Dublin talking to some players - these would have been current LoI players not LSL players.

Anyway, all will been known within the next 4-5 weeks.
    Irish by birth,

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by niamh
    As McCarthy proved with Ireland a good team spirit counts for a lot. Is good to hear.
    Yes he harboured a very good team spirit, I mean it's not as if he tried to humiliate the captain in front of all his team mates days before the world cup or anything.
    I'm gonna take a blow torch to everyone who writes "any info on......." on the desks in the ucc library.

Who's with me

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by ccfc till i die
    Yes he harboured a very good team spirit, I mean it's not as if he tried to humiliate the captain in front of all his team mates days before the world cup or anything.
    You stupid ignorant *******.

Crow, you do realise its bad form to mention players names on message boards. Dont think they appreciate it.

Aside form that, all sounds positive. Good to hear they want to get even more fit.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd say the players don't like their names mentioned if it's negative stuff being said about them,crow was only saying good stuff about our lad Greg and what he had to say for himself.

Imagine how poor K Murray must feel with the tripe being written about him all last season.

Saw his old doll at the ball on the echo,fine thing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dolanswaistcoat..........thanks for sticking up for me on this one.

I wouldn't dream of printing comments ( with the players named ) if it was negative stuff - nothing to be gained with that.

The conversation I had with Greg was brief but very positive. I think, if anything, Dolan ( if he reads this board - and I wouldn't be surprised if he does ) would be extremely pleased with his ( Greg's ) comments i.e. "need to get fitter", "disapointed at not winning last season", "Fenn was a good signing", "competition was good for everyone" etc, etc, etc.

Finally I also said the guy was a really nice bloke and portrays all that is good with City......i.e. not a premadonna and very happy to chat about City with someone he doesn't even know.

I just thought people would be interested in the info...........the m/board had gone a bit quite over the holidays anyway.
    Irish by birth,

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Gary
    You stupid ignorant *******.

Crow, you do realise its bad form to mention players names on message boards. Dont think they appreciate it.

Aside form that, all sounds positive. Good to hear they want to get even more fit.
    Get laid for christ's sake ya ******
    I'm gonna take a blow torch to everyone who writes "any info on......." on the desks in the ucc library.

Who's with me

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMWAH!

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I happened to meet another of the players over the xmas that I would know and he too was in great form re city. He was saying that things have really gone up a few notches in terms of preparation, discipline etc since Dolan's arrival - something which he said the players were a bit unsure about at first but that they are really happy with now. He echoed that the players in general felt they could have done better last season and all are eagerly looking forward to the new season.

I heard from another source that one of the players Dolan has been talking to recently is Galway's Alan Murphy - while he is a great prospect (who I believe is close to going cross channel, he's there presently in trials) I'm worried by the fact that Dolan is chasing another striker - surely he sees that midfield is what needs attending to. I remember one of the sounder SPA lads coming on here when Dolan signed first and saying that one of the problems with Dolan is that he has a habit of signing players he doesn't really need without paying due heed to both the squad balance and financial constraints. The money involved with Murphy would have been not far off what Fenn is on so i'm just hoping that Dolan doesn't lad us with a huge squad of players in similar positions and the trouble that could lead too - financial, player unrest & trying to play strikers in midfield etc etc.
    I'm sure Lennox will be reasonably tight with the purse strings and any new players will have to be fully justified ie - CENTRAL MIDFIELD !!!!!!!

Any news on when the fixture list will be available ?
    Last edited by fella; 06/01/2004 at 6:16 PM.
    Up she Flew!!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by fella
    I heard from another source that one of the players Dolan has been talking too recently is Galway's Alan Murphy - while he is a great prospect (who I believe is close to going cross channel, he's there presently in trials)
    he's not that great IMO. Don't think he'd score more than 10 a season in the Premier, too much of a step up for him, from what I've seen of him. We do definitely need a midfielder though

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PLEASE GET A MIDFIELDER PAT!!!

We don't need strikers!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Its been said before, but with more strikers, georgie is now an option in midfield. Still do think we need more options there though

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by fella

Any news on when the fixture list will be available ?
    feb 8th afaik

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Originally posted by Éanna
    Its been said before, but with more strikers, georgie is now an option in midfield. Still do think we need more options there though
    I imagine that Georgie will be playing in a more deep position but we need at least one quality midfielder to really challenge for silverware. My guess is that if Georie is used in midfield he will be given a free role to pull apart defenses with maybe Fenn linking up and laying off to O'Flynn. Maybe Fenn & Georgie interchanging positions at times to mess with de defense's heads. This needs a quality defensive midfielder tho', and at de very least we could do with another option here - especially for tense last-10-mins-they're-throwing-everything-at-us moments.

Our forward positions are more than adequately covered at this stage.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I tend to agree with Derm here. I think what we're seeing here is the team shaping up as follows up front:

Flynny and Fenn up front.

George in the hole between Midfield and the front two.

Assuming Doyler retains the form we saw before he left for the WC he will be out right and I think Kearney will start the season on the left.

The burning question is who takes up the remaining position in midfield ...... or ....... does he play 3 at the back and four accross the middle.

With the first option we MUST have a ball winner ( aka Reynolds ) as, good and all as I think Knawanko is, he would not be considered a LoI hard man.

Bottom line is we still need a Midfielder.
    Irish by birth,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast