Thread: World Student Games

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

World Student Games

I came across this on http://www.thirdlevelfootball.ie

Preparations for the World Student Games continue as the WSCAI Irish combined colleges squad travels to Hamilton, Scotland this coming weekend

The first test will be on Friday evening against Hamilton Academical reserve team. This game will kick off at 6pm in Bent Recreation, Hamilton.

They will face a tougher test in the second game which will take place on Saturday afternoon, a 2pm kick off against the Hamilton Academical Premier Team.

Squad Selected & Confirmed to travel as of April 20th 2009

Connaught
    1. Aisling Egan AIT
    2. Meabh De Burca NUIG
    3. Emma Mullin IT Sligo

Leinster
    1. Lyn Bradley Sallynoggin
    2. Bronagh Sheridan DCU
    3. Katie Walsh DCU
    4. Aine O’Gorman Sallynoggin
    5. Stephanie Roche Sallynoggin
    6. Mary Waldron UCD

Munster
    1. Lorna O’Connell UL
    2. Lynn-Marie Grant WIT
    3. Stacey Paul CCFE
    4. Lynsey McKey UL

Ulster
    1. Tiarna McKenna UUJ
    2. Nicola Carlin Belfast Met
    3. Demi Vance Belfast Met

More on World Student Games at
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...=4127&Itemid=9

I have never heard of combined colleges team before. It says above that this is preparation for the World Student Games, so I presuming this a preliminary squad for that, with non-Irish based players/players named in that fai link joining.
    Last edited by chick; 21/04/2009 at 4:56 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    I came across this on http://www.thirdlevelfootball.ie

Preparations for the World Student Games continue as the WSCAI Irish combined colleges squad travels to Hamilton, Scotland this coming weekend

The first test will be on Friday evening against Hamilton Academical reserve team. This game will kick off at 6pm in Bent Recreation, Hamilton.

They will face a tougher test in the second game which will take place on Saturday afternoon, a 2pm kick off against the Hamilton Academical Premier Team.

Squad Selected & Confirmed to travel as of April 20th 2009

Connaught
    1. Aisling Egan AIT
    2. Meabh De Burca NUIG
    3. Emma Mullin IT Sligo

Leinster
    1. Lyn Bradley Sallynoggin
    2. Bronagh Sheridan DCU
    3. Katie Walsh DCU
    4. Aine O’Gorman Sallynoggin
    5. Stephanie Roche Sallynoggin
    6. Mary Waldron UCD

Munster
    1. Lorna O’Connell UL
    2. Lynn-Marie Grant WIT
    3. Stacey Paul CCFE
    4. Lynsey McKey UL

Ulster
    1. Tiarna McKenna UUJ
    2. Nicola Carlin Belfast Met
    3. Demi Vance Belfast Met

More on World Student Games at
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...=4127&Itemid=9

I have never heard of combined colleges team before. It says above that this is preparation for the World Student Games, so I presuming this a preliminary squad for that, with non-Irish based players/players named in that fai link joining.
    Eh.... where's Ruth Fahy? What does this girl have to do to get on an Irish team let alone a cap? Its shocking at this stage when all her team mates at Salthill are getting the accolades. This midfield general is completely overlooked time and time again and its such a pity because of her outstanding ability.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In yesterdays game....

Hamilton Academy 2 - 11 Irish Combined Colleges

And the non Ruth Fahy selection speaks volumes on the organisations that run soccer in this country

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    players were picked from the colleges inter province tournament, with the managers of those squads making recommendations on who should be picked...

thats where players need to impress first
    "as always i will be focused on coaching and training my team" Rafa B

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by olegunnar View Post
    players were picked from the colleges inter province tournament, with the managers of those squads making recommendations on who should be picked...

thats where players need to impress first

Picked for Irish colleges team? If thats the basis for picking the college national team then there is clearly something wrong. That tournament is almost a farce, Leinster played Munster for example with 9 or 10 players. Far from professional. And what about all the league games played throughout the year, hard graft being put in every week? No the basis a player gets on the national college team is on her performance over two days and a recommendation by provincial managers that more than likely have their own political agendas?!

Harsh is a word that springs to mind.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    provincial managers with their own agenda? isthe munster manager not the ul manager?

leinster won tournament, had 10 players v munster in 1st match. munster won that match, and lost the tournament overall. munster had 2 centre mids selected in colleges squad. Players get selected for province based on managers knowledge of how the girls have performed over the yr.

the players have bbeen told there are more matches upcoming, so maybe there will be other players used?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    provincial managers with their own agenda? isthe munster manager not the ul manager?

leinster won tournament, had 10 players v munster in 1st match. munster won that match, and lost the tournament overall. munster had 2 centre mids selected in colleges squad. Players get selected for province based on managers knowledge of how the girls have performed over the yr.

the players have bbeen told there are more matches upcoming, so maybe there will be other players used?
    As far as I am aware he wasn't the UL manager this year someone else was but was involved with UL previously so would obviously have knowlege of players bar the freshers of course.

On the case of provincial squad I know that college managers are asked to send their best to the trials, thats what occured previous years I presume this was the case for this years squads as well.

On the case of national college squad, I personally don't think its right to choose the team on the performance in the Inter-pro tournament. You can argue the Gaynor cup is same format etc but the difference being the players on the Gaynor teams are in so many diff leagues it would be impossible to go look at games throughout numerous counties. That doesn't mean to say the FAI should not get off their back sides and go to games as well because there are rough diamonds around believe me. In the context of college's however it would be more easier to track the ability of players given that there is after all 3-4 main college leagues (correct me if i am wrong). The highest league being the Premier with a total of 6 teams and the First Division having 6 teams etc. It wouldn't be that difficult and would be better than making decisions over two days. After all what if players had other committment, injuries and had to miss the two days. Not exactly the fairest or most effective trial basis.

There are more matches before they travel to student games? If there are its prob just to dampen the blow to the Irish based players that don't make the student game squad

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i can only speak in terms of connaught, where i know there were 3-4 sessions held pre inter pro.

our manager was asked to make recommendations based on the sessions, the inter-pro tourney and prior knowledge

ur right though, i reckon there will be some combined players that dont go to serbia, but i think it costs near 2grand to go that the players pays, so maybe it'll be economic maybe.

overall, i heard scotland was good. one of our girls went and said as much

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i can only speak in terms of connaught, where i know there were 3-4 sessions held pre inter pro.

our manager was asked to make recommendations based on the sessions, the inter-pro tourney and prior knowledge

ur right though, i reckon there will be some combined players that dont go to serbia, but i think it costs near 2grand to go that the players pays, so maybe it'll be economic maybe.

overall, i heard scotland was good. one of our girls went and said as much
    There will be more than some that won't make the squad more like the majority! And I am not trying to be smart saying that, it will be the truth. Look at the squad for the previous student games, wasn't many home based players on it and that will be the case this time round I fear.

I heard the Scottish trip went well the girls mixed well and enjoyed themselves, a lil disappointed they were about opposition but were glad to get a call

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 37Beour View Post
    There will be more than some that won't make the squad more like the majority! And I am not trying to be smart saying that, it will be the truth. Look at the squad for the previous student games, wasn't many home based players on it and that will be the case this time round I fear.
    I agree that many of the squad that went to Scotland won't be going to Serbia, for various reasons. As for the squad for the previous WSGs, in 2007 over half the squad was home based.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Irish PLayers that decide to study abroad shouldn't be deprived of the opportunity to play in the world student games. We're entitled to represent our country too just cos we go elsewhere to study and play shouldn't mean that we lose out on this chance!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Squeez View Post
    Irish PLayers that decide to study abroad shouldn't be deprived of the opportunity to play in the world student games.
    I agree. I cannot understand why there is so much negativity surrounding the fact that foreign based players are being picked for world student games and other national squads.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think anyone should be deprived a place, i think the point that is trying to be made is that the people in charge don't really get off their backsides from one end of college season to the other to look at college games in Ireland so how can they pick foreign based players who they most def haven't seen in their college season!

Believe me I don't think anyone should be deprived especially if they are talented enough whether they are foreign or home based, people in charge should put a little bit more effort for trials etc instead of one weekend of interpros!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i think this is a bit of an unfair statement considering the WSCAI made great strides this year in ensuring these very ppl were in attendance at all tournaments - freshers, futsal intervarsitys, intervarsitys, interpro's as well as some league games.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I agree, WSCAI have done great work to ensure that there were FAI reps at the Inter V's and Inter Pro's this year(and last year too).

However, at the Inter V's some of the FAI reps "disappeared" when the weather turned cold and wet and paid little or no interest in the "lesser games" or games where there was nothing at stake. Major interest was shown in the "bigger/more successful/higher profile" teams. There are good players in lots of colleges...not just the "higher profile colleges" The reports being delivered in Abbotstown the following week were therefore flawed because of the bias towards the "better" teams. I saw more coaches from other colleges watching games and supporting the competition that FAI reps.

GREAT JOB by the WSCAI reps by the way......only one request...could there be more than one football per game allocated as there were teams wasting huge amounts of time with retrieving balls out of play(perfect example Tralee IT v UL) Very, very frustrating!
    Nice to see the girls putting so much time and effort into womens soccer, especially girls that played previously. And they all have jobs/college commitments too. WELL DONE GIRLS!

At the Inter Pro's Sue Ronan was in attendance on the Friday night but I saw nobody on the Saturday for the matches(please correct me if I'm wrong). I wouldn't include anyone from the FAI working directly with the teams as observers as they are involved with a squad and are not really unbiased now are they? Sue missed the best football of the weekend as the weather was better and the pitches were much better than on Friday night and possibly the best games of the weekend. There were players who arrived late on the Friday night and weren't seen by the FAI reps.

I'm sorry, but that kind of haphazard scouting/observing is just not good enough. These people are paid full-time to ensure that the very best players, whether at home or in other countries are invited to train with the international squads.
    Players need to be observed and assessed PLAYING WITH THEIR COLLEGES in the winter and PLAYING WITH THEIR CLUBS in the summer. It is here that the players are seen in their usual positions and are more relaxed.....not over 4 hours in the AUL.
    How many players were not available/ill/not in attendance due to injury or non-qualification during the Inter V's and Inter Pro's? Lots!(Aine O'Gorman, Lynn Bradley and Stephanie Roche play with Sallynoggin, all Senior Internationals,.....I'm sure the FAI haven't been out to watch their games this past season......please, please correct me).

There are so many great players who will not be playing in the World Games....why not? Someone must know.

Sorry, couldn't help myself, just had to get it off my chest.......

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Question

Trials for World Student Games on tomorrow(Sunday)!!!

Anyone know who has been asked to attend?
    The DWSL and other League opening games scheduled for Sunday afternoon and Monday night, College exams on Monday.....more excellent organisation. It's not just in Limerick it seems....

Anyone know who's in the trial squad for tomorrow(Sunday)?

I have heard(unconfirmed):

Peamount United-3 players asked
    Dundalk City-1 player
    Raheny United-2 players asked

Aisling Anna?
    Carndonagh?
    Lifford?
    Castlebar?
    Wilton?
    St Francis?
    St Caths?

This Tournament is on at the same time as the Senior trip to the USA, so how strong will the squad be?

Semi-finalists last time around and quarter-finalists the time before that....any predictions for this time around?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    This Tournament is on at the same time as the Senior trip to the USA, so how strong will the squad be?

Semi-finalists last time around and quarter-finalists the time before that....any predictions for this time around?
    AFAIK the squad has been selected. I'll wait until I see the squad and see which players have made themselves available before I give a prediction

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Must have bin at the Intervars?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not much been said this time around about the World Student Games.
    Ireland finished 14th in Serbia