Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

Golf

Wonder has anyone any tips for the upcoming masters?

Havent looked at it yet, but will post up my bets tomorrow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Wonder has anyone any tips for the upcoming masters?

Havent looked at it yet, but will post up my bets tomorrow
    harrington is good bet each way

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Geoff Ogilvy is my tip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock MIB View Post
    yeah he did the business for a lot of us last year - but i would be worried about his from coming into this - hasnt started at all well so far in the Us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock MIB View Post
    Not great odds though tbh.

Woods will probably win it but I won't be backing him at those odds, no value whatsoever. I'm going for a few each way bets.

Ogilvy @ 20/1 (looks like he has the game to win at augusta,hopefully it will be this year)
    Johnson @ 40/1 (won it in '07 and has a 1st and 3rd already this season)
    Perry @ 70/1 (great odds,has had a fantastic start to the season,is just outside top 10 in the world rankings,don't kno why his odds are so high)
    JM Singh @ 130/1 ( has started the season well and did ok here last year)

Also fancy Karlsonn for top european @ 12/1. Was in the top 10 last year and is a good all round player.

Kim to be top debutant at 7/2 looks good value too.

Can't back the whole field but I would also fancy:

Casey @ 28/1 (won last week and should win a major in the next few years)
    Watney @ 45/1 (not great value but he did well last year and has won this year already)
    Mcdowell @ 125/1 (generous odds imo)
    Goosen @ 25/1 (Is good at augusta and seems to be coming back to form)

Mcilroy's odds are way too low(30/1 with PP). Can't see him coming in the top 10 tbh.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    If anyone is betting E/W make sure to bet with PP as they are placing 6, compared to 5 with everyone else.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers fan View Post
    Mcilroy's odds are way too low(30/1 with PP). Can't see him coming in the top 10 tbh.
    I think he will do well but I agree odds are far too low. He is coping with the hype so far & form is good - even in PGA events he is one of longest hitters.

Only a handful of players can win as lots of oldies at the tail end.

Villegas 40/1 & Furyk 50/1 might be worth a look but not checked the form yet...

Probably a simplistic question but does Augusta favour long drives?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Probably a simplistic question but does Augusta favour long drives?
    It's been shortened this year(not by much) but at over 7400 yards it's still a long course so you need to be able to hit it a fair whack alright. Putting is probably more important at Augusta though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Putting is way, way more important.

Dman, I thought they were all doing Top 6 no? I'm pretty sure I backed Justin Rose each-way in Ladbrokes today for Top 6. He was 80/1, thought it was decent value.

Speaking of value and each-ways, my local bookie does a special for the Majors whereby anyone priced 100/1 or higher returns on each-way if placed in the Top 8. It's especially good value for the Masters given the limited field (though admittedly outsiders rarely do well there). Nice small fun bet anyway. I did two lads for that - Stephen Ames at 150/1 (he's done pretty well there the last few years), and little Tim Clark at 100/1 (he's just an old favourite of mine really having won big for me a few years ago, but he does have a good record at the Masters. I'd be amazed if he won but he might be placed. I've had a dream he'll win the British Open someday though so keep an eye on him. ).

My only other (and largest) bet then is Henrik Stenson at 45/1, which I'm not really too sure on but I thought he'd come close to winning a few majors last year and was reasonable value and he's well capable of winning so you never know!

As far as tips go, I predominantly look towards a player's record at the Masters (that's the main thing) and then his price, with good current form a distant bonus. I don't think Harrington's a great price (not bad either though), and anyway I'll be delighted if he wins regardless of money so I'm not gonna bother backing him this time. The Previous Record Rule means McIlroy is terrible value. I'm not saying he won't win, just that he's poor value (which I assume is what you're looking for!). If you're looking at backing Tiger, you might be better off waiting til the end of the first day as he very very rarely has a great round on the first day.

Obviously that's no help much at all, but fcuk it you could make a case for nearly everyone, the odds are big so just pick anyone and forget the others you might've backed. All the best! The last golf-bet I had was Harrington in the USPGA so hopefully I can get some kind of version of my Paddy Slam on the go! Failing that, I'd love if Harrington won.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    Dman, I thought they were all doing Top 6 no? I'm pretty sure I backed Justin Rose each-way in Ladbrokes today for Top 6. He was 80/1, thought it was decent value.
    Not according to this anyway. Pretty sure the ad in PP said they were the only bookie offering top 6 also.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers fan View Post
    Yeah, it'll be very interesting to see how he does, forgetting about his price for a minute. I imagine his putting, which relative to the rest of his game is very poor, will be a problem, but his talent and competitiveness mean you just couldn't be sure. Looked at coldly, he shouldn't do well, but he's the kind of player you wouldn't put anything past.

Anything inside the Top 20 would be an admirable showing I think. Will be interesting to watch the BBC "claim" him as well!

Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Not according to this anyway. Pretty sure the ad in PP said they were the only bookie offering top 6 also.
    Right, that's all well and good but I just checked my docket and yer wan at the shop felt compelled to write 1-2-3-4-5-6 on it so I'm happy enough!

What often happens is that one of the firms (such as Paddys in this case) makes the first move and then the others really have no choice but to follow. Either that or typical PP marketing trickery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Danny Lee for top teenager anybody? There's only three of them,himself,mcilroy and ishikawa. Mcilroy's 1/4, lee 4/1 and ishikawa 8/1. Now I can see why mcilroy is favourite but they are good odds for Lee. He's amateur world number one and won the us amateur last year and the johnnie walker classic a couple of months ago. Like,there's no guarantee mcilroy will do well so 4/1 on lee ain't bad value.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Yep, decent value alright. Wouldn't be arsed with it myself at all though (more cos I've no money than too much!).

You'd also be hoping McIlroy does shit, not sure how you'd feel about that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post

You'd also be hoping McIlroy does shit, not sure how you'd feel about that?
    Ya i suppose,still good value though. Realised that skybet are the only ones doing that market though so I can't back it anyway........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Damn - am nowhere near a PP and I have no money in my Credit card!!! Hope my brother gets the money in before 1.00 today!!

Anyway............with PP.
    Geoff Ogilvy is worth a punt at 18/1 and he is nearly always up there abnd is 11-1 with a handicap of -6

Paul Casey has had a good season so far and is a solid player - 28-1 - and 4-1 to to be top GB and Ire player

Stenson at 40-1 - evens to get a top 20 finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 12- 1 with a handicap of -8

Sean O hair at 60-1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    http://www.iseekgolf.com/news/37472-...009-us-masters

The Masters is very much a "horses for courses" tournament, I remember getting Olly at 66-1 when he won it last.
    It's hard to look past Woods but as an ousider Goosen is playing well at the moment and has a good record at Agusta & knows how to win Majors.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Would be amazing if Harrington won it. Would not write him of either as he hit a lot of birdies last week but also dropped shots. Odds not worth it though.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Placed €20 on Hunter Mahan at 110/1. He did well in the Ryder Cup and finished 28th as an amateur here in Augusta. He also has a liking for fast greens and that is always a plus here.

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery Rover View Post
    Placed €20 on Hunter Mahan at 110/1. He did well in the Ryder Cup and finished 28th as an amateur here in Augusta. He also has a liking for fast greens and that is always a plus here.
    Played better than I expected to be truthful. Have laid back my stake now at 13/1 so free bet for the rest of the competition

Have now had a bet on Vigay Singh at 149/1 and Mike Weir at 34/1 so hoping they have good rounds tomorrow and will lay the stakes back again and get on a few more.

Not making money yet but trying to get some value in the field by backing a few

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Perry's hanging in there,playing very solidly Pity I put so little on him,got hi at 80's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast