Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Faces for RTE Panel?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Trap has been to Reading games and he has seen Hunt playing.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    What Reading games has he been to??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Not sure of the opposition but I saw him in the crowd when I was watching Goals on Sunday one morning.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Not sure of the opposition but I saw him in the crowd when I was watching Goals on Sunday one morning.
    Thats a very convincing arguement. But i stand by my assertion that he has never been to watch Reading play. As far as i know the only Championship match he has gone to watch was PNE vs Burnley on 17th January.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Typical Panel discussion over the past 20 Years

O'Herlihy introduces the discussion with some over the top statement, Dunphy makes a few over the top personal attacks, Bill laughs, Giles pulls on the side of his jacket and agrees with Dunphy and says it's all about getting the ball down and passing, the gombeen in the middle (other than Souness) agrees with the other two, DUnphy then contradicts himself, Bill laughs, Giles pulls on the side of his jacket and repeats it's all about getting the ball down and passing, Dunphy agrees with Giles and makes another outrageous statement, Bill laughs, the gombeen in the middle agrees with Giles, one clip of 10 seconds (from hours of football) is shown to emphasise their point, Dunphy then makes a joke, Bill laughs, Giles pulls on the side of his jacket, says he doesn't want to repeat himself but that it's all about getting the ball down and passing, DUnphy agrees with Giles, Bill laughs, has a dig at Charlton and says it's time for a break.

The match then goes totally to what they predicted and Dunphy says it's because the opposition are the worst on the planet, Bill laughs etc etc
    "Giles pulls on his jacket"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Thats a very convincing arguement. But i stand by my assertion that he has never been to watch Reading play. As far as i know the only Championship match he has gone to watch was PNE vs Burnley on 17th January.
    http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/News...550441,00.html.

Do you still stand by that and is this a convincing argument.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Ok i can admit when i'm wrong, he saw Noel Hunt come on as a sub for 29 mins in the Reading 0 - 0 Preston match and threw him on for 40 minutes against Poland. Thats almost a full match worth of football he has seen him play.

It was never a gamble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Who said it was not a gamble. I think it was a gamble but a calculated one based on the fact that Doyle was out on his feet and that Cannavaro had him in his pocket. Also Dunphy criticised Trap for being negative and defensive and then has a go at him for taking a gamble.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Ok i can admit when i'm wrong, he saw Noel Hunt come on as a sub for 29 mins in the Reading 0 - 0 Preston match and threw him on for 40 minutes against Poland. Thats almost a full match worth of football he has seen him play.

It was never a gamble.

There was me thinking Trap actually took the training with the Irish team?
    My God this Trappatoni fella is fraud. Why did we ever put him in charge?
    He is a bad joke?

Oh thats right he has us second in the group and still very much on course to quailfy for the world cup and also talking very confidently about what he is doing.
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Neil McD? So at home to a pretty average Bulgarian team its ok to stick with dull defensive team we have had since the start of the campaign but away to Italy is the right time to take a massive gamble??

Axeman - Training is a completely different situation to a match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Axeman - Training is a completely different situation to a match.

It most definately is not but a man of his experience should at least be able to gauge what the player can or cannot do over the last 6 months he has been in the squad.
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I thought Trap was too defensive against Bulgaria, I would have liked him to have a ball player in midfield at home against Bulgaria. But I agreed with his subs against Italy. Sees its not all black and white. As in Trap bad Andy Reid and Dunphy good type of thing. I would have preferred if we killed the game off against Bulgaria but I blame the players for that too. Credit has to be given though for Trap changing it so early against Italy.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    I thought Trap was too defensive against Bulgaria, I would have liked him to have a ball player in midfield at home against Bulgaria. But I agreed with his subs against Italy. Sees its not all black and white. As in Trap bad Andy Reid and Dunphy good type of thing. I would have preferred if we killed the game off against Bulgaria but I blame the players for that too. Credit has to be given though for Trap changing it so early against Italy.
    The final part is where our opinions differ the most. I think Trap went to Italy to get a 0-0 draw and nothing else. Once Italy scored, he saw his returning hero act in ruins and he paniced and make knee jerk decisions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    the 70 year old coach who has won honours galore around Europe panicked and made knee jerk decisions?

now, i remain unconvinced fully in Trap's selection and tactics - but that statement takes the biscotti. Credit where credit is due.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    Misery Personified is right. No credit whatsoever is due to Trap for making changes that worked no matter how many of us were critical of his starting XI or the Bulgarian performance. The panicky knee jerk decision to bring Keane deeper, to bring on Folan, to take off Keogh, to switch O'Shea and McShane and to bring on fresh legs for a jaded Doyle deserve no credit.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I am afraid it's no different to what the Panel has been doing over the past 20 years. They haven't entertained me with their vicious and personal attacks on the last 5 Irish managers but the fact that people are still talking about them, means the show will go on.

Typical Panel discussion over the past 20 Years

O'Herlihy introduces the discussion with some over the top statement, Dunphy makes a few over the top personal attacks, Bill laughs, Giles pulls on the side of his jacket and agrees with Dunphy and says it's all about getting the ball down and passing, the gombeen in the middle (other than Souness) agrees with the other two, DUnphy then contradicts himself, Bill laughs, Giles pulls on the side of his jacket and repeats it's all about getting the ball down and passing, Dunphy agrees with Giles and makes another outrageous statement, Bill laughs, the gombeen in the middle agrees with Giles, one clip of 10 seconds (from hours of football) is shown to emphasise their point, Dunphy then makes a joke, Bill laughs, Giles pulls on the side of his jacket, says he doesn't want to repeat himself but that it's all about getting the ball down and passing, DUnphy agrees with Giles, Bill laughs, has a dig at Charlton and says it's time for a break.

The match then goes totally to what they predicted and Dunphy says it's because the opposition are the worst on the planet, Bill laughs etc etc
    All we need is Giles, dump the rest, it's so funny how he's been trying to explain the simple game of football to Bill for 20 years and Bill still hasn't a clue. His patience is Buddha-like.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciprian Marica View Post
    Dunphy's "analysis" was disgraceful on Wednesday night after the match. This article sums up my thoughts on it:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/an...y-1696738.html

He accused Caleb Folan of not being up to it at one point and then when the emails were read out agreed with the viewer that said his aerial presence led to the goal.
    He criticized the Doyle substitution even though he was having a serious off day. Who does he expect to come off the bench, Torres, Messi or Ronaldinho?
    An absolute c***.

I'm delighted to see your comments on dunphy. I've been on about this for a number of years on my blog. tks.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Bites View Post
    Dunphy and Giles have entertained and provoked talking points for years now, but after Wednesdays ill-informed, amateur bar stool musing after what amounted to one of the great away Irish performances, should RTE be looking for fresh intelligent younger faces with more savy and reasoned arguments.

I have always enjoyed RTEs no holds bar post match analysis and found it refreshing compared to the banal counter parts in SKY and the English terresterial channels, but there comes a point and I think Wednesday night performance by Dunphy was that point when thoughtful insightful intelligent analysis is overtaken by incoherent agenda driven drivel, I am not going to get into specifics but almost everything Dunphy said was wrong.. Whelan stayed silent bullied into submission I suspect and Giles acquiesence was as predictable as his matching grey suit and grey hair..
    Having said all of that who should RTE replace these relics of a bygone era with..personally I don't think there is much talent out there but any suggestions as alternatives are welcome!

I'm overthemoon you set this thread up! I agree wholeheartedly - the agenda on RTE stinks. If they disappeared like sports tonight I'd be over the moon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    So at home to a pretty average Bulgarian team its ok to stick with dull defensive team we have had since the start of the campaign but away to Italy is the right time to take a massive gamble??
    Leading 1-0 against our principal rivals isn't a bad time to play defensively. Just like losing 1-0 isn't a bad time to start playing attacking football. Making a change to try and score is hardly a gamble. If he did nothing and we lost 1-0, then he'd be criticised for not making any changes.

The final part is where our opinions differ the most. I think Trap went to Italy to get a 0-0 draw and nothing else. Once Italy scored, he saw his returning hero act in ruins and he paniced and make knee jerk decisions.
    So he went to get a 0-0 and got 1-1, he's hardly going to be disappointed!
    How is throwing on a target man to give their defence something else to deal with a knee jerk decision?
    How is pushing Robbie Keane deep to assist midfield a knee jerk decision?
    How is moving a pacy winger to counteract an attacking full back a knee jerk decision?
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 04/04/2009 at 1:55 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    To be honest I like the separate spheres of pure entertainment (RTE Panel cracks me up every time), and the more analytical stuff we talk about on here.

We should get our own e-panel going on here.

I'll host, and eirebhoy, tets, and stutts can make up the panel.

Maybe we'll bring in Ciaran to play the Dunphy role.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast