Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Irish public popularity shift away from soccer?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0330/rte.html

Not bad Ciaran eh??

The Republic of Ireland's 1-1 draw against Bulgaria in their World Cup qualifier match at Croke Park last Saturday attracted the highest average match audience in their 2010 World Cup campaign to date and peaked with a massive audience of just over a million viewers in the minute before the final whistle*.

The game drew an average of 828,000 viewers from kick-off to final whistle on RTÉ Two, and an average share of 53% of those watching television at that time.

Average match audiences have increased steadily since Ireland's first 2010 World Cup qualifier against Georgia on 6 September last, and compared to the average audience of 514,000 who tuned in for the entirety of that game, Saturday's figure of 828,000 is an increase of over 60%.

Glen Killane, Group Head of Sport, RTÉ, said: 'The power of sport to unite the country in such trying times is clear and has reinforced RTÉ's unique connection with the Irish public. These viewing figures demonstrate that that relationship continues to be very strong despite competition from other broadcasters. Ireland's next game will be a crucial match and supporters can once again tune in to see it live and free to air.'

Ireland's next World Cup qualifier against Italy will take place in Bari, Italy, on Wednesday 1 April and will be shown live on RTÉ Two at 7.00pm, with Bill O'Herlihy presenting and John Giles, Eamon Dunphy and Ronnie Whelan on the panel. George Hamilton and Jim Beglin on commentary. It will also be broadcast live on www.rte.ie/sport (Republic of Ireland only) and on RTÉ Radio 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think that Wednesday will top the Wales viewership based on that figure and Ciaran you'll have to eat your words for the billionth time on this forum
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
    You're way off.

Munster draw in viewers like no others
    GAVIN CUMMISKEY

Tue, Dec 23, 2008

SPORT ON TELEVISION/RTÉ'S MOST POPULAR EVENTS:THE SEEMINGLY never-ending achievements of Munster on the rugby field, not to mention as a brand, are reflected by the RTÉ sports viewing figures for 2008.

A peak figure of 1.033 million was recorded for that cold November Tuesday (18th) when Munster, shorn of 10 international players and losing Denis Leamy to injury early on, came agonisingly close to repeating the 1978 defeat of the All Blacks - the only Irish side ever to do so - and in turn ruining the title of the long running John Breen play, Alone It Stands.

The peak was reached at 9.16pm when word clearly spread like wild fire that they were on the verge of beating New Zealand. That is until Joe Rokocoko's late try shattered the dream.

"The most impressive figure was the 689,000 that tuned in from start to finish," noted Ryle Nugent, deputy head of RTÉ TV sport and commentator on the night. "The fixture grabbed the public's attention from the outset. The choreographing of the 20-minute build-up was delivered efficiently and respectfully, including the unveiling of the plaque by the Taoiseach. The pomp and ceremony was followed by the Munster, then New Zealand haka and then the first five minutes of the match itself were played at a million miles an hour. All the ingredients were there.

"The uniqueness of the occasion made it hard to compare with the other great days at Thomond Park in recent seasons," Nugent continued. "It was an unbelievable experience. I've been at all the big Munster games at Thomond Park in the past few years but this can't be compared. It was a totally unique event. Just very different from other big games, like a European match when they are doing whatever is necessary to get out of the pool.

"It was recognition of who they are and what they are about. showing they have come full circle since 1978. As soon as people walked in the door or sat down in front of the television they knew they were in for a special, unforgettable night."

The All Blacks' trip to Limerick was a genuine departure from the norm and touring squads will not be bringing the numbers to facilitate a repeat fixture any time soon.

"It has to be an advantage that it was a Tuesday evening in November and the recession had just kicked in. Also, there was no direct competition on TV like the Champions League. It was talked up in the media at length due to the history of the fixture, so the curiosity value was there as well."

That an event organised to celebrate a 30th anniversary and open a new stadium held par with two hugely significant All-Ireland finals and outdid all other events in a significant sporting 12 months merely emphasises the growth in popularity of rugby in this country.

"Rugby is a substantially growing audience over the past five years, no doubt about it," said Nugent. "It can be measured with the success of the national team, Munster and, to a lesser extent, Leinster. It is down to the accessibility of the audience to the players, who they can potentially see walking down the street."

Rugby viewing figures were significantly down the pecking order in 2003 with the Grand Slam- deciding Six Nations encounter at Lansdowne Road against England averaging only 504,000 and placing sixth on RTÉ sports' list behind Gaelic games and soccer internationals. Munster's defeat to Toulouse in the Heineken European Cup semi-final that year attracted only 264,000.

The All Blacks match was ranked third on the average list of viewing figures behind the 709,000 who watched the hurling final between Kilkenny and Waterford, which peaked at 840,000, and the 703,000 who watched the football final between Tyrone and Kerry, which peaked at 886,000.

The Champions League final in Moscow between Manchester United and Chelsea was watched by 653,000 on RTÉ, with a peak just shy of a million viewers.

That the Irish rugby match against England at Twickenham came fifth with 553,000, peaking at 655,000, is further evidence of the growth of rugby's popularity.

The Munster viewing figures were made apparent at RTÉ's sports awards in UCD on Sunday evening, when the province was also named team of the year.

Unsurprisingly, the main individual prize on the night went to two-time Major champion in 2008 Pádraig Harrington after he regained the British Open and captured the USPGA championship.

Former former Irish Olympic athlete and Ireland hockey international Maeve Kyle was inducted into the RTÉ Hall of Fame.

© 2008 The Irish Times
    That's all fine but it's hard to determine true figures for soccer when the same game is often available on more than one channel. I don't always watch my soccer on RTE, especially if Ray 'everything is wrong' Houghton is the co commentator. I can't stand the pessimistic little b@stard so I invariably switch to Sky/ITV/Setanta if they're showing the same game as well. GAA has to be watched on RTE, and the only live Rugby that can be watched on RTE now is the international side, who are going through a purple patch. I watched the rugby against Wales even though I have no real interest in the game and won't be going out buying any IRFU merchandise, ever. I don't think rugby is the threat people think it is - it's nowhere near as popular or as accessable as a game as football or GAA for that matter. A bad Six Nations series next year and they'll be back to square one - let's not forget how fickle the Irish bandwagoners are. This is also a golden era for rugby talent at the moment, the conveyor belt won't always be so kind in the future either.

Having said that soccer has some serious problems - the main one being the cheating/diving/playacting culture that has developed. The 'Manliness' of the game has certainly been eroded somewhat and I for one would like to see straight red cards and lenghty bans introduced for this sort of thing. I couldn't give a $hite about respect for referees or players contesting decisions - that's part of the game and part of the passion, I would not like football to end up like rugby in that respect.
    Last edited by 4tothefloor; 30/03/2009 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    I'd have to agree with this. Rugby is one of the few sports where I have seen people take up the game late in life and still manage to play at a relatively high level. David Beggy is one example but there have been several others.

In sports like football the basic skills are developed from childhood and enhanced over a long period of time. If you're strong and quick you have a fair chance of succeeding in rugby within a year or two without any prior experience.
    David Beggy grew up playing rugby and was a late convert to GAA. The Beggy family are a well known rugby family in Navan.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    I'd have to agree with this. Rugby is one of the few sports where I have seen people take up the game late in life and still manage to play at a relatively high level. David Beggy is one example but there have been several others.

In sports like football the basic skills are developed from childhood and enhanced over a long period of time. If you're strong and quick you have a fair chance of succeeding in rugby within a year or two without any prior experience.
    If you play rugby without any experience you have a huge risk of getting injured. There's a hell of a lot more to rugby than being strong and quick.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Foot.ie!

Quote Originally Posted by DotTV View Post
    If you play rugby without any experience you have a huge risk of getting injured. There's a hell of a lot more to rugby than being strong and quick.
    Yes, but could an international rubby team have a couple of lads the size of Stringer on it. He's unusual as it is. Whereas in soccer a players ball skills are more important than his size (except if you're Andy Reid maybe ). Different games with different emphasis that's all.

Result in Bari last night was our best sporting moment this year though!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Will TV figures for Italy game last night top the Rugby 6 Nations?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    World Cup Qualifier:
    Rep. Ireland v Bulgaria Sat 585,000

I expect Italy game will beat that by some distance.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    World Cup Qualifier:
    Rep. Ireland v Bulgaria Sat 585,000

I expect Italy game will beat that by some distance.
    How come that figure is so different to AGB Nielsen?

The Republic of Ireland's 1-1 draw against Bulgaria in their World Cup qualifier match at Croke Park last Saturday attracted the highest average match audience in their 2010 World Cup campaign to date and peaked with a massive audience of just over a million viewers in the minute before the final whistle*.

The game drew an average of 828,000 viewers from kick-off to final whistle on RTÉ Two, and an average share of 53% of those watching television at that time.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0330/rte.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I don't know where Pete got his number from, but these numbers are estimates, based on very small samples sizes.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raheen View Post
    David Beggy grew up playing rugby and was a late convert to GAA. The Beggy family are a well known rugby family in Navan.
    Thanks for the correction on this. I wasn't aware of Beggy's rugby background but I still stand over my fundamental point that I know several people who had never been on a rugby pitch until they were in their twenties and played the game for several years to a reasonably high standard.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DotTV View Post
    I accept that its critical that players learn to tackle properly and how to form a scrum. These are the key areas where injuries occur but it is a relatively simple task to learn these things without years of experience. I wasn't suggesting that people could play the game without learning the basics but rather that these basic skills can be learned very quickly.

My initial post focused on the fact that some schools choose rugby over soccer and GAA as they believe it will lead to greater participation by kids who wouldn't have the required skills to play the more technical games.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Rugby is a beautiful game.

In fact it is The Beautiful Game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I don't know where Pete got his number from, but these numbers are estimates, based on very small samples sizes.
    MediaLive website

Possibly different ways of calculating the average. I think sometimes these done on 15 minute periods. RTE will obviously hype up themselves but I suppose just need to be comparing like with like for different events.

Bring back Rocketman!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567