Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer International vs Rugby International

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts

Soccer International vs Rugby International

Well, I attended my first rugby international ever last Saturday and I thought I'd comment on what differences I perceived between that and a soccer match. I was in the Hogan stand which is where I also view the soccer games, albeit in the lower tier.

1) Price of the ticket. Rugby €95.00 vs soccer €75.00 so around 25% more expensive.

2) Fewer punters wear colours and certainly far less scarves.

3) "Ulster" flag flying beside the Tri-colour. I am aware why but it was new to me.

4) Ireland's Call - enough said.

5) Green flags for all seats in the lower tiers were a great idea and looked impressive when being waved. Didn't see too much of them though during the game.

6) Drums building up the tension before the game just before the teams came on to the field - excellent.

7) No segregation among the fans and the loud singing of God Save the Queen by those around me raised a few hackles. Comments to O'Driscoll "Get up Paddy" when he lay prostrate after another late tackle caused me to exchange a few words with the speaker. Another Irishman nearby told the same guy where he could stick his "sweet chariot". Can't enjoy a game as much when rival supporters all around.

8) Irish support intermittent and certainly no way as good for an Irish soccer international - especially if it was a soccer match against England.

9) Enjoyed the result but not much else about the day to be frank. I went with preconceived ideas about what a rugby match would be like and I wasn't too suprised by anything I saw. Lots of "Johnnys" and "Nigels" wearing their tweed jackets. Some hardcore supporters of course, including a few in Munster jerseys, and I wish the team all the best but it will probably be my last rugger game for a while.

Bring on Bulgaria!
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    same pathetic annoying PA as the football. unbelievable idiot

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    same pathetic annoying PA as the football. unbelievable idiot
    He even got the English score wrong at one stage
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I went to the match in Rome a few weeks ago, fantastic atmosphere and we all had a great time. Had to suffer "Ireland's Call" but apart from that we supported the team and sang throughout Being surrounded by Italians is totally different

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I found it very interesting how you looked at it Owl as I have only been to one myself in 1999 in Lansdowne V Austraila .

For me at the time the thing that got me was that the rugby boys were far more relaxed and very little tension around , where as the football you always feel there is an edge about the place before during and after the game .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Interesting post. I have been at two rugby matches in my time, both nearly as unlikely as each other and neither qualifies me in any way to compare to the soccer. The first was that crowd in Waterford in the AIB Division 2 or 3 or something, Waterpark I think they're called and I can't even remember who they were playing, only they lost. The second was the Heineken Cup match between Biarritz and Calvisano this year.

On top of that useless information I would just like to comment on the fact that the atmosphere seemed to disappoint you a bit or at least not surpass your expectations. The crowd in every sport I think responds to whats happening on the pitch. I thought the atmosphere for the soccer intls against Wales and even Georgia to a far lesser extent was fairly tame and the fact that it was England the rugby match was against might not be as much of a factor when they play them every year and natually loses it's novelty a bit. Having said that I'd say anybody that was at the match 2 yrs ago would disagree strongly.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 03/03/2009 at 3:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    He even got the English score wrong at one stage
    for the 2nd match in a row! also, for the 2nd game in a row, prematurely thought the match was over when it wasnt and announced so to all in the stadium. complete twit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i've never been to a rugby match at croker - could never get a ticket, but was at england v ireland at twickenham in 2005.

2 things to point out from that:

1) a huge amount of england fans congratulating us on the final whistle.
    2) allowed to bring pints out to your seat.

don't know what everyone's problem is with ireland's call. its a great song that embodies what a country playing sport is all about. it shouldn't be used for soccer, because the north have their own team, but for rugby its perfect.

am absolutely galled that an english fan had the nerve to shout "get up paddy?" - i suppose at a rugby match there is less chance of getting a slap, but someone should've done something.

was all that talk in 2006 about a "perfect atmosphere" and mutual respect all bull then??

anyway, the atmosphere at matches always seems far better than at recent soccer matches (home), and i'd love to go to a game.

that said, give me World Cup qualification over grand slam anyday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    I am sorry Owl's Fan but people like you annoy me it was your first game and yet you where able to draw all these conclusions you need to attend more games but can make such assumptions. I have said this to many people in the past about LOI

I attend several rugby matches throughout the year local club, Leinster and Internationals (this year and last autumn internationals and French game could not get ticket for England) The crowd feed off the match the quality of the match just as in soccer and game was not great and the crowd where silenced after 20 mins.

French game IMO had great atmosphere as good rugby on display helped. I have attended several international soccer games in Croke Park and the atmosphere has been excellent at times but dead at times as well.

As for no segregation normally no need for it as the fans seem to get on along fine expect it seems you had one idiot sitting near you that got the reaction he was looking for. I have been surrounded by English fans at rugby games before and had no trouble from them or any other fans.

Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal View Post
    On top of that useless information I would just like to comment on the fact that the atmosphere seemed to disappoint you a bit or at least not surpass your expectations. The crowd in every sport I think responds to whats happening on the pitch. I thought the atmosphere for the soccer intls against Wales and even Georgia to a far lesser extent was fairly tame and the fact that it was England the rugby match was against might not be as much of a factor when they play them every year and natually loses it's novelty a bit. Having said that I'd say anybody that was at the match 2 yrs ago would disagree strongly.
    exactly
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would agree with you Owlsfan, went to 1 in LR and one in CP, got free tickets, would never go again even if I got free tickets, totally stuckup crowd and no place for any self respecting Northsider! Too many hipflasks and very little singing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jok1 View Post
    Would agree with you Owlsfan, went to 1 in LR and one in CP, got free tickets, would never go again even if I got free tickets, totally stuckup crowd and no place for any self respecting Northsider! Too many hipflasks and very little singing.

what i would have given for a hip flask and [outside the SS], some singing at recent ireland soccer matches!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I always find it a bit strange the way the soccer crowd frown upon the rugby fans for being rich/snobby/posh etc. It's a bit hypocritical to say the least. There is obviously an element of this in the rugby support ie.Dublin 4 crowd or whatever but so what? I would be more of a soccer man myself (by a distance) but I do enjoy watching the international and Munster matches. I think some people think that you have to choose one or the other!!

Quote Originally Posted by magnumpi View Post
    don't know what everyone's problem is with ireland's call.
    I think it fashionable to give out about it!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    I think there's a decent element of crossover. I used to try and get to both rugby and football internationals but truth be told I only get properly worked up for a football international. Football games are more important events for me, rugby games are great if I can get to them, grand on TV if I can't. Context changes obviously.

That said, I was gutted when France beat us in 2007 at Croker but I felt that many around me just weren't that bothered. Game over, head to pub, no big deal. I think that's more of a trait among the rugby support. There's a decent element at the rugby just because it's the fashionable place to be, including a fair part of the female contingent. I don't think anyone can say following Ireland in football is fashionable at the moment!

I think the rugby boys think that they generate a better atmosphere. As said above, at a ground like Croker the crowd feeds off the quality of the game. Tension can cause people to sit quietly on their seats only getting vocal when there's some sort of catalyst. Rugby can induce those catlytic moments alright but there have been long silences at any rugger games I've been at lately.

I'd say the rugby team has an advantage over the football team in that almost every game is against a top class side. The football team has to earn the right to a big night against a big team by getting results against the lesser teams. I also think the cost of defeat is usually bigger in football - the 6 Nations comes around every year and WC qualification is guaranteed, only the seeding being up for grabs and even then only on occasion. I'll be very surprised if the Bulgaria atmosphere isn't very good.

Both games have their moments. England at home in 2007 was special, as was Twickenham in 2004, but then again, I'd say the Dutch game in 2001 was better than any rugby game I've ever been at.

The atmosphere "back in the day" was better at both. Michael Kiernan's drop goal in 1985 was a great day, as were all the Italia 90 qualifiers and sporadic great nights / days over the years.

I look forward to the return to Lansdowne.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 03/03/2009 at 4:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    don't know what everyone's problem is with ireland's call. its a great song that embodies what a country playing sport is all about. it shouldn't be used for soccer, because the north have their own team, but for rugby its perfect.

am absolutely galled that an english fan had the nerve to shout "get up paddy?" - i suppose at a rugby match there is less chance of getting a slap, but someone should've done something.
    I don't think that people have a problem with Ireland's Call in principle - I certainly don't. It's just that the song is rubbish, but then what more can one expect from Phil Coulter. Awful. Why didn't they ask U2 to compose an anthem - they've had plenty of practise.

Second point - at the very least, the c**t should have received a bloody good slap. I have administered a few in my time, only when called a Paddy of course!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Any international for me is worth attending, especially if we have a chance to beat the English.

Most disappointing thing is for a nation with such a history of "singing at the drop of a hat" that we can't seem to sing at al when it comes to games. Even the Engerrlish fans sing more than us......we should not be ashamed to sing "All of to Dublin in the Green....etc. etc. especially if the Engerrlish can sing "Rule Brittannia" etc.

More singing please, whatever the event. Personally, I can't say what's the best but it's hard to beat Hill 16 at a Dubs game (with the exception of the minority of thugs who throw cans and plastic bottles etc.)

I gues sita ll depends on the perforamnce.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    don't know what everyone's problem is with ireland's call. its a great song that embodies what a country playing sport is all about. .
    Take the word " Ireland" from the song and it could be about pretty much any country on the planet. It is not and never will be a "great" song.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Take the word " Ireland" from the song and it could be about pretty much any country on the planet. It is not and never will be a "great" song.
    from the mighty glens of antrim, from the rugged hills of galway, from the walls of limerick to dublin town, from the 4 proud provinces of ireland?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Were the tickets for Rugby €95 for all the seating area's? All I can find is that €95 for stand, €38 for Hill 16:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...713217625.html

Thought the atmosphere on Saturday was rubbish and it certainly wouldn't be as quiet as that for the soccer equivalent against England in a match Ireland never once fell behind in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    It is very hard to compare the atmosphere at a rugby match relative to that of a football match. Rugby is a far more complex game than football, with a considerable appreciation of the various rules and laws needed to fully appreciate it. I have been at rugby internationals where the atmosphere was certainly comparable to that of a football match, even though football would be my first love.

The match against the old enemy on Saturday, whilst I was not at it, I appreciated to great extent. While it was not entertaining as a spectacle, because the match was not a fluid attacking one, it was nonetheless enjoyable from a tactical, defensive viewpoint.

*For a different kind of atmosphere, try going to a Formula 1 race, (I'd recommend the Italian GP at Monza). It's kinda like the atmosphere at a sporting fixture mixed with that at a music festival.
    Last edited by The Fly; 03/03/2009 at 9:43 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads as someone whos attended games at croke park for all sports including soccer, rugby and gaa as atmosphere goes between soccer and rugby at croke park, rugby wins. been to most soccer and rugby games at croke park and it saddens me to say it as soccer would be my number 1 but since both were moved there the noise at rugby has been more consistant than soccer. dont know what it is but theres defo a difference. ???

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast