Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 70 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 2389

Thread: Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    What sort of example does it set though? Should a player expect to be called into a competitive squad if he's picking and choosing when to show up for friendlies?

I suppose one thing it can prove would be a commitment and willingness to ensure the team is properly prepared for competitive fixtures.

For someone like Robbie, he seems to love playing for us, no matter what the status of the fixture happens to be. It probably gives him an immense sense of pride to represent his country.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Roy's perfectionism was admirable, but in spite of his high standards, I'm not sure he conducted himself in the most professional of manners. Also, it would be unfair to hold Mick responsible for what were FAI failings.
    A perfectionism turned out-of-control-pathological, is nothing to admire.
    It's ironic that his forced departure from Man U was almost a carbon copy of Saipan, ie, story according to Ferguson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    How's Seamus Coleman doing these days?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

4. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Coleman's cutting the mustard.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    What sort of example does it set though? Should a player expect to be called into a competitive squad if he's picking and choosing when to show up for friendlies?
    I suppose one thing it can prove would be a commitment and willingness to ensure the team is properly prepared for competitive fixtures.
    For someone like Robbie, he seems to love playing for us, no matter what the status of the fixture happens to be. It probably gives him an immense sense of pride to represent his country.
    It sets a good example ie that if you reach a high standard that you have more say in when you play.
    By being in a top side he is playing more competitive games at a high level so will need more rest.
    Seems sensible to me help ensure your best players remain injury free, pointless over playing them just
    show commitment. Keeping yourself fit for top games is showing commitment.

Robbie had the extra incentive of chasing a caps record, plus our strikers often see little game play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    A perfectionism turned out-of-control-pathological, is nothing to admire.
    It's ironic that his forced departure from Man U was almost a carbon copy of Saipan, ie, story according to Ferguson.
    Perhaps. He's a complex individual and maybe the unbowing single-mindedness of his ambitions and endeavours proved his ultimate downfall as a player. I did note the similarities between the two incidents and, in hindsight, am willing to concede it certainly does Roy's character no favours.

But don't we all love a flawed genius?

No?...

Meh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Good question!

He was spotted in the crowd at Killybegs' Donegal county final game against Glenswilly over the weekend: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/s...025507350.html

Quare news round them parts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    It sets a good example ie that if you reach a high standard that you have more say in when you play.
    Sounds a lot like spin, that; a mere excuse for indifference. If a team's leaders and elder members can't be bothered to do the nitty-gritty without having to fear the loss of their place, what motive is that for the younger players?

By being in a top side he is playing more competitive games at a high level so will need more rest.
    Not necessarily. Compare Wigan's workload this season to that of a Premier League club. What would you make of a fit James McClean picking and choosing when to show up for us and then taking to Twitter to criticise his later omission from a competitive squad? By my reckoning, he'd have gotten his just desserts. (Not that I'm suggesting James would ever do this.)

Robbie had the extra incentive of chasing a caps record
    Well, he's got that now. Yet, he still plays...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Sounds a lot like spin, that; a mere excuse for indifference. If a team's leaders and elder members can't be bothered to do the nitty-gritty without having to fear the loss of their place, what motive is that for the younger players?

Not necessarily. Compare Wigan's workload this season to that of a Premier League club. What would you make of a fit James McClean picking and choosing when to show up for us and then taking to Twitter to criticise his later omission from a competitive squad? By my reckoning, he'd have gotten his just desserts. (Not that I'm suggesting James would ever do this.)

Well, he's got that now. Yet, he still plays...
    But the teams leaders have done the nitty gritty, if necessary you can show them videos of Roy playing in friendlies when
    he was younger and fitter.

The motive for younger players is to follow in his foot steps. I really do not see the big deal here.

McClean is playing at a lower level, easier games, he needs the experience of playing against international class players
    Roy does not, he does it every week.

Older players tend to have more commitments too, you could be more forgiving of Stephen Ireland in that respect,
    I think he did say something like it was easier for him to play now his children had grown up IIRC?

Yes Robbie has the cap record, but he will want to keep it, so there is still an incentive for him to keep playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    So, you think a regular senior player would have a right to feel aggrieved if he was omitted from a competitive selection after turning down prior call-ups for friendly fixtures because he simply wasn't bothered?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    So, you think a regular senior player would have a right to feel aggrieved if he was omitted from a competitive selection after turning down prior call-ups for friendly fixtures because he simply wasn't bothered?
    Depends on a number of factors, if he was irreplaceable (ie did a great job for us) definitely not, if he was sh1te, then best not call him up anyway.

The only thing that really matter to me is if they help us get results in competitive matches.

So basically I think he would have a right to feel aggrieved if he was doing the business in competitive matches
    I would be very annoyed too, in fact I would want the manager sacked.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Who cares? I'm all a-quiver waiting for the next exciting post about... whatever the last barrage have been about.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Gave away a penalty apparently

"Benteke, on the other hand, had been guilty of wastefulness in a lively opening first period.
    Villa's top scorer, returning to the starting line-up after a hip injury, won the early penalty after being tripped in the penalty box by Seamus Coleman. The 22-year-old stepped up confidently, but Howard dived superbly to his right to tip the ball over the bar with his left hand. "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    That show on Sky Sports, Barclays Premier League World, are doing a piece on Coleman's Irish football background next week. They are also following some dedicated Irish Liverpool fans from Dublin to a match at Anfield, or something along those lines.

Sky Sports 3
    Thursday, 24th October @ 18:30

Here's the piece on Coleman

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Gave away a penalty apparently

"Benteke, on the other hand, had been guilty of wastefulness in a lively opening first period.
    Villa's top scorer, returning to the starting line-up after a hip injury, won the early penalty after being tripped in the penalty box by Seamus Coleman. The 22-year-old stepped up confidently, but Howard dived superbly to his right to tip the ball over the bar with his left hand. "
    Another penalty?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Another penalty?
    Well another refereeing error to be precise, the refs seem to have got it in for Coleman at the moment, dunno why.

Clearly a dive.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    The ref must have watched previous games where he did pull or push like me and then not objectively seen the actual offence and just made an assumption based on previous.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Today's ref must have read Paul's post.

Coleman very lucky not to be penalised for nudging down an opponent in the box. Similar to the others, he got too close from behind and on this occasion the opponent (Vertonghen?) slowed down, Coleman ran into the back of him and pushed him down. Not a heavy contact but a definite foul for me. Lucky boy.

Only saw the first half and McCarthy looked ordinary enough, again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Coleman should have had a penalty himself after being hacked down onto his knees from behind in the box before swiftly regaining his footing to drag a deflected shot wide of the goal. The Spurs player (can't recall who it was now) made absolutely no contact whatsoever with the ball. Coleman's honesty of effort, or the fact he got up again so quickly to get a shot in rather than make the most of it, appears to have worked against his favour.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Unfortunately for Coleman players aren't as honest as he is.they don't have that gaa background stop that soccer sh1te playacting attitude.

I do feel unless he changes he will cost us one yet. Hopefully it won't be too important of a game.

Everything I've seen so far of him has been pretty accurate.

Page 70 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast