Thread: Kiely and O Connor Sign New Contracts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kiely and O Connor Sign New Contracts

Courtesy of our new league sponsors!

Cork City duo to stay at Turners Cross - 22/01/2009 21:00:56

Cork City have announced that Alan O'Connor and Timmy Kiely have both signed new one-year contracts with the club. O'Connor, who joined the club last season, was a regular member of the squad in the latter part of the season, playing on the right wing and up front. Kiely, who signed after spells at Glasgow Celtic and Kilkenny City, was a regular at youth and reserve levels for the club last season, before injuries gave him a chance with the first team where he made headlines with his Setanta Sports Cup semi-final winner away to Derry City. Cork City manager Paul Doolin said: "Both Alan and Timmy made the breakthrough into the first team last season. They've been back in pre-season training with us all week and they have both been working well. They are young lads, but they have ability and they are both very keen, so I am looking forward to working with them. It is a good sign for the club that there are young, talented players making the breakthrough, and with the experienced players we have here, they can learn a lot."
    I'm delighted with this. I really like Tim Kiely and think he has a really bright future. I hope he gets more game time this season as he has some amazing skills and a brilliant long range shot. The fact that he netted 2 goals last term in his rare outings near the end will give him a massive confidence boost.

As for O Connor, I like him too. He put in a couple of fine performances last season for us I thought and he is a big and physical lad too. He isnt the quickest of the most graceful, but the fact that he can play 2 positions to an acceptable standard makes him extremely benficial to the club. I've read a lot of abuse directed at him from the other forum, and I really cant understand it to be honest. Granted, he isnt Roy O Donovan on the right wing, but he's a damn sight better then our other options were/are

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    I thought Kiely looked a prospect last season so happy enough with him.
    O'Connor was terrible and looked completely out of his depth.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Post Cork duo sign new contracts

Cork duo sign new contracts

Cork City have announced that Alan O'Connor and Timmy Kiely have both signed new one-year contracts with the club. O'Connor, who joined the club from Rockmount last season, was a regular member of the squad in the latter part of the season, playing on the right wing and up front.

'I'm very happy to have signed a new contract with Cork City. Having signed this time last year, I fought my way into contention for the first team during the season and hopefully I can kick on from there in 2009,' O'Connor said. Kiely, who signed after spells at Glasgow Celtic and Kilkenny City, was a regular at youth and reserve levels for the club last season, before injuries gave him a chance with the first team.

Read more at www.rte.ie
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    I thought Kiely looked a prospect last season so happy enough with him.
    I thought O'Connor improved towards the end of the season, he was quite good in the SC Final though without full time training I'd doubt the impact he can make. Kiely looks a good prospect alright, glad we've hung onto him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    We were saying the same about Doyler at the start as well though.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    We were saying the same about Doyler at the start as well though.
    Ah but he only became good after he went to England.
    Although he was brutal out in Rockmount Park.

I don't rate O'Connor but its up to him now to prove me wrong. Still I guess its another body to fill up the bench.
    Last edited by razor; 23/01/2009 at 1:48 PM.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Ah but he only became good after he went to England.
    Although he was brutal out in Rockmount Park.

I don't rate O'Connor but its up to him now to prove me wrong. Still I guess its another body to fill up the bench.
    As I said, he's no player like O Donovan was or even like Kearney, but I thought he did a shift. He was an out ball for defenders under trouble because he would beat 99% of the full backs in the league in the air and I thought when he went to cross it (which he didnt do as often as I think he had the chance to) it was generally of a pretty good standard.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerNThongs View Post
    but I thought he did a shift. He was an out ball for defenders under trouble
    I'd have to disagree, I thought he was lazy and lost the ball way too easily.