Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean St Ledger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sean St Ledger

Having a very good game here against Liverpool. Nolan and Elliot have also come on for Preston and Robbie Keane had some shocking misses too in the first half and has now gone off. But Ledger does look pretty decent at centre back.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    St Ledger had a good game all right, but poor old Robbie was very poor, should have had 2 in the 1st half at leat and maybe even a hattrick. Don't see him starting too many games in the near future for Liverpool.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    St Ledger would have been at home in the Liverpool back four the way he played today. Very assured performance. Great to see an Irish player play like a younger Lawro/Hansen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I thought he was excellent. Fantastic anticipation and looks like he can read a game. Nolan also looked lively when he came on.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Yes. He should have been in the Irish team along time ago. People like Ciaran who has now made a positive contribution on his abilities were very quick to dismiss him in the past without ever seeing him play. Funny how watching a match on television for 90 minutes changes peoples opinions. The Doc for one has been advocating for St Ledger for a long as I can remember on here and he has been consistently brushed aside by many posters. I hope he was watched today and gets the chance he deserves to play for his country.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    [QUhOTE=shakermaker1982;1080814]I thought he was excellent. Fantastic anticipation and looks like he can read a game. Nolan also looked lively when he came on.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. His anticipation and positional sense was very impressive - always the sign of a quality defender. Looks to be more of a sweeping defender, but his tight marking was quality when Gerard could have broke through. Also, his surging run at the start of the second half actually initiated their fightback, showing a good bit of leadership as well.

Have to say that I didn't notice him much when I saw him against Wolves at the start of the season, but on todays performance I'd love us to get hold of him. Definitely think he could adapt to a higher level of football.

Finally Ciaran, I usually take what you say with a pinch of salt and appreciate that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I would like to pick you up on a couple of points:

1) "I don't make rash judgements on players before I have seen them against the best"? - Surely you can see that a player has all the facets to be a top quality player i.e. has skill, vision, passing ability, good positional sense etc. irrespective of the opposition? The main attraction of this site for myself and a lot of users is to identify and make judgement on up and coming Irish players - I, for one, do not need to see them play against the best to make a call on if I think someone is good enough - surely that shows a lack of confidence in your own judgement? Either that or a secret insecurity not to be mocked by fellow negative told-you-so doubters? You're a Man (I assume) - Be brave.

2) I do however notice that you are so bold as to make "rash decisions" against players who may have made mistakes against "the best", irrespective of how young they are when these mistakes are made. Both Bruce and McShane have performed well this season (the latter against the "best"). Richard Dunne was also prone to errors during his younger years at Everton - in retrospect would you too have been so damning about his future? Apart from the Goalkeeper, the centre of the defence is the most exposed position on the pitch, hence the reason why it is a position which players grow into, especially after plying their trade at full back, a position which might not be natural to them. Bruce was exposed early, however, he is young, has a great mentor and obviously has potential (Trap's judgement or a faceless messageboard cynic - hmmm I wonder who's judgement I am going to trust?)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag View Post
    Yes. He should have been in the Irish team along time ago. People like Ciaran who has now made a positive contribution on his abilities were very quick to dismiss him in the past without ever seeing him play. Funny how watching a match on television for 90 minutes changes peoples opinions. The Doc for one has been advocating for St Ledger for a long as I can remember on here and he has been consistently brushed aside by many posters. I hope he was watched today and gets the chance he deserves to play for his country.
    Totally agree. I have been slagged off on this site for "hyping" Champiosnip players - specifically St Ledger, Garvan, Walters and McCann - after having seen them play. Now he's been on the telly, he may even get noticed by our management team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag View Post
    The Doc for one has been advocating for St Ledger for a long as I can remember on here and he has been consistently brushed aside by many posters.
    Don't agree there. Haven't seen many on here that don't want to see St Ledger get a chance.

It would have been interesting to see if Carragher could have stopped Ledger from scoring that goal. Stupid foul by the Preston player.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Saw the game and was very impressed by St. Ledger. It was the first time I'd seen him in a year but have heard he's been playing very well & the feeling among those that had been watching him felt he was worth a place in the squad. What I saw confirmed that. Similar in style to O'Leary, Lawrenson or even Breen

He looks confident and assertive too.

He could be a good complement to Dunne, in the same way as Breen was to Cunningham and in the same way that O'Shea seems to play well off Dunne too.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Were you watching Trapp?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Saw the game and was very impressed by St. Ledger. It was the first time I'd seen him in a year but have heard he's been playing very well & the feeling among those that had been watching him felt he was worth a place in the squad. What I saw confirmed that. Similar in style to O'Leary, Lawrenson or even Breen

He looks confident and assertive too.

He could be a good complement to Dunne, in the same way as Breen was to Cunningham and in the same way that O'Shea seems to play well off Dunne too.
    Where you watching Trapp?

Then if so, stop listening to the likes of Givens, stop picking the likes of McShane and Bruce and call up St Ledger, the player Preston North End fans call' " The New Mark Lawrenson"
    Last edited by the doc; 04/01/2009 at 6:43 PM. Reason: text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Surely its Don Givens rather than Shay Given that is at fault.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    It wasn't so long ago that half this forum were comparing McShane to Paul McGrath. But when he was taken out of the championship that all changed.

The onus is on St Ledger to prove he warrants a place by challenging himself at a more appropriate level for international soccer, not on Trap to pick him.
    He's got potential but he's not for this campaign, likewise Garvan, McCann and the others.
    Honestly don't remember any McGrath comparisons- they're not even similar in style, let alone ability.

I do remember a lot of enthusiasm following his performance against the Czechs- forgive us for grasping onto any positives in that campaign!

Most players get mixed reviews, but St. Ledger is highly rated by seemingly everybody that knows of him and has seen him play.

Should he be in ahead of Bruce? I haven't seen enough of either of them to make that judgment call. But I do feel he should be brought into friendly or B squad AT LEAST to see what he can do. Wouldn't mind him brought into a squad for a competitive game and looked at in training- what's the harm?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    It wasn't so long ago that half this forum were comparing McShane to Paul McGrath. But when he was taken out of the championship that all changed.

The onus is on St Ledger to prove he warrants a place by challenging himself at a more appropriate level for international soccer, not on Trap to pick him.
    He's got potential but he's not for this campaign, likewise Garvan, McCann and the others.
    Rubbish! So the current Preston North End and North West player of the year isn't worthy of a place in the squad but the likes of Bruce are! I'll have a pint of what your drinking!

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    I'll have a pint of what your drinking!
    Soft drinks only for another few years I'd say.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Soft drinks only for another few years I'd say.
    Great response to young Ciaran
    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    St Ledger doesnt exist as far as Trapetoni and Brady are concerned. He was as excellent yesterday as poor old Robbie was woeful. How did he miss those chances!
    I

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    So, if St. Ledger is a better player than Bruce - as most seem to think - surely it's common sense to think that St. Ledger should have Bruce's squad place?

OK, so Bruce can also cover at right back but that's hardly a convincing case for his inclusion, as we have credible options at right back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    So, if St. Ledger is a better player than Bruce - as most seem to think - surely it's common sense to think that St. Ledger should have Bruce's squad place?

OK, so Bruce can also cover at right back but that's hardly a convincing case for his inclusion, as we have credible options at right back.
    Not saying that Bruce is any good, but it seems that Trap really likes him considering all of those rumours of Italian clubs coming in for him following Trap's recommendations.

As we've seen with Trap, he's very stubborn about players he likes, for good or ill.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Not saying that Bruce is any good, but it seems that Trap really likes him considering all of those rumours of Italian clubs coming in for him following Trap's recommendations.

As we've seen with Trap, he's very stubborn about players he likes, for good or ill.
    Strange that as having watched St Ledger over a long period of time at Preston, I'd say he is more suited to the Italian style of play than Bruce and to think of it McShane.

St Ledger is able to play both Left and Right at CB, RB, Sweeper and Def Midfield

St Ledger has leadership qualities, is good in the air, comfortable on the ball with either foot and is much quicker and reads the game better than both Bruce or McShane.

Trapp is just sticking with what he's got, before he clears off after the World Cup campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I agree. Don't think Trapp is interested in recruiting any new players into the squad. He is sticking with what he has. Well with the exception of Stephen Manchester, that is.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast