Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Kerr's frustration over Keane

Kerr's frustration over Keane
    (from BBC Sport)

Brian Kerr remains confident about the Republic's future prospects

Republic of Ireland boss Brian Kerr has acknowledged his continuing frustration at Roy Keane's unavailability for the Irish cause.

Keane announced his retirement from international football last February, citing medical advice that playing for his country would put his club career at risk.

The Manchester United captain was sent home on the eve of the 2002 World Cup Finals after having a huge row with previous Irish boss Mick McCarthy and has not played for his county since.

"He's playing an awful lot of matches at the moment so there's a disappointment for me," Kerr told the Irish News.

"Manchester United can still make the case that he needs those breaks during international matches but there's a frustration for me and I would imagine for many other Irish people.

"There's only a few games a season - the qualification matches.

"In the total percentage of matches per season, it's not a fierce number of games".

Kerr added that he had been disappointed by the decision of Dean Kiely and Gary Kelly to quit the international scene to concentrate on their club careers.

"I just can't understand it. I have difficulty in my own mind as someone who never got to play one international match.

The Irish are missing Keane's drive in midfield

"I have a huge problem with dealing with somebody saying:'I want to concentrate on my club career'.

"I think the players that do retire early will have regrets in the future".

Despite those frustrations, Kerr remains confident about his team's future prospects.

The Republic failed to qualify for Euro 2004 but Kerr believes that the young talent coming through gives his team a great chance of making the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany.

"I don't see the future as bleak as we have a lot of young emerging players," he said.

"The underage players of '97, '98, '99 and 2000 are now starting to break into their respective teams and this is the key to it".

Kerr points to the emergence of players like Celtic's Liam Miller plus Sean Thornton, John Thompson, Dean Delaney, Brian O'Callaghan, Graham Barrett and Michael Doyle.

"I think there's a better pool of Irish talent available now who have been through the system and have a real allegiance to Ireland.

"But we have to give them the chance. We have to put them into the team and we may have to put up with a few bad results".

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Here we go again................

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I think we are being prepared to get used to really bad results or really bad friendly opposition!! Oh, look is that the Canadians i see on the horizon???? Lets hope the ever dangerous Paul Peschosolido and "Safe Hands" Craig Forrest are not in this team of giants.......