Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You'll Never Walk Alone ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    So Celtic are English?
    of course not ,, point i'm trying to make is this achievement was nearly ignored due to the fact they were a scottish team ... or sorry a british team when doing well by media / t.v etc

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    And what part of that claim is false?
    when celtic won european cup they were classed as the first british team to win it .. untill utd won it and suddenly a english team won it . and celtics achievement was quickly forgoten about

when it suits media / t.v even now irish teams / scottish / welsh / players / golfers etc still get called british when they win something but revert back to thier own nationalitys when beaten ...
    so the british press / t.v / media are fairly regular in making false claims.

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    I read somewhere (already mentioned here) that it was sung at one of the Manchester United games at Old Trafford shortly after the Munich Air Disaster in 1958.

Edit:
    Here ya go: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...._our_song.html

Not sure whether to believe this 61 year old though...
    Last edited by Metrostars; 13/11/2008 at 2:49 PM.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Besides Mrs. Crazy-eyed-woman from Manchester claim, there seems to be no other evidence of this account. Even someone who used the account in a book had to admit as much.
    Anyway my Grandad sang it in the '30s in Kilcohen, ever before the musical was penned, and the whole crowd joined in, miraculously knowing the words of the yet-to-be-written song. I have no other evidence to back this up, but I will be shortly writing a wiki page on the matter, and writing a strongly worded letter to the now defunct Waterford People, clearing up, once and for all, the origins of the terrace song.
    I will also mention in the letter the fact that the British media gloss over Waterford United when they mention Celtic as the first British winners of the European Cup just because they're not British and they've never won it.
    Also, the colour blue didn't exist until Waterford United invented it.
    That should clear all matters up.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Sorry, I just want to clear this up - are Celtic Scottish, Irish, English or British or some or all of the above? And if so, why are they so bigotted against the Welsh.

I can also confirm that Waterford fans invented 1960s nostalgia.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    This may be in danger of getting a bit off-topic lads

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    What version of Molly Malone were Chelsea fans singing at their game against Stoke yesterday?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Think it's the one where her wheelbarrow is full of celery.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    Think it's the one where her wheelbarrow is full of celery.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    What version of Molly Malone were Chelsea fans singing at their game against Stoke yesterday?
    Speaking of the Blues. Leeds Utd. fans could be heard singing a song including
    "...the Chelsea scum." in their FA Cup First Round Replay away to Northampton Town. Great wags for the sense of humour.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    see here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27l...one_%28song%29

a show tune out of rodgers & hammerstein musical , carousel 1945
    credited to celtic fans in early 1940's , song also sung at football clubs around the world by massed chorus of supporters on matchday: this tradition began at celtic in the 1940's ....... liverpool only adopted after gerry and pacemakers version in 1963 some 23 years later so the scousers have been singing a celtic song for over 60 years now ... always thought the celtic fans at parkhead version was better anyway .
    There was no such thing as singing on the terraces in the 1940's, a completely different era. At least do your homework before you post

Secondly, the original version of YNWA from the rodgers & hammerstein musical is not even related to the one Gerry & the pacemakers sang, completely different altogether. It's like comparing a dance music version of a rock song. No football fans ever sang the rodgers & hammerstein version on the terraces, as (a) it wasn't a football orientated or suitablly composed song to sing and (b) their sexuality would've been seriously questioned!

The singing on the terraces didn't happen until the swinging sixties and it started with pop/chart songs. It was most prominent at Anfield and initially began during the half-time interval when the announcer/dj played those songs. YNWA was one of these. It later evolved to being sung during the game. Liverpool sang it first, but unlike all other chart songs of the time, they continued to sing YNWA after it had exited the charts and the dj stopped playing it. Thus they adopted it as their own and it was a firm favourite as Gerry and the Pacemakers were a local band. Liverpool adopted it, everyone else followed. The Man Utd rumour is just that and a wind up myth used by Utd fans. There is not one shred of evidence to support YNWA being sung pre Gerry and the Pacemakers or pre Liverpool. The Celtic link is also false as pre Hillsborough YNWA was not sung on the terraces by Celtic fans. Show me pre-hillsborough footage of them doing so and i'll eat my own shorts....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpoJoyce View Post

Speaking of the Blues. Leeds Utd. fans could be heard singing a song including
    "...the Chelsea scum." in their FA Cup First Round Replay away to Northampton Town. Great wags for the sense of humour.
    Probably - to the tune of Que Sera Sera

'When I was just a little boy I asked my mother what should I be
    Should I be Chelsea, should I be Leeds heres what she said to me,
    wash out your mouth my son, and go get your fathers gun and shoot the chelsea scum, shoot the chelsea scum'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Newryrep View Post
    Probably - to the tune of Que Sera Sera

'When I was just a little boy I asked my mother what should I be
    Should I be Chelsea, should I be Leeds heres what she said to me,
    wash out your mouth my son, and go get your fathers gun and shoot the chelsea scum, shoot the chelsea scum'
    Leeds copying THE BIG CLUB I see.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Leeds wasted millions before the big club did

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    First time I heard singing at a match in Ireland was the first match I ever attended with my old man (I was 7). Rovers v Waterford 1969. Loads of Skinheads at the game. We shall not be moved was belted out by the Rovers fans.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor View Post
    There was no such thing as singing on the terraces in the 1940's, a completely different era. At least do your homework before you post

Secondly, the original version of YNWA from the rodgers & hammerstein musical is not even related to the one Gerry & the pacemakers sang, completely different altogether. It's like comparing a dance music version of a rock song. No football fans ever sang the rodgers & hammerstein version on the terraces, as (a) it wasn't a football orientated or suitablly composed song to sing and (b) their sexuality would've been seriously questioned!

The singing on the terraces didn't happen until the swinging sixties and it started with pop/chart songs. It was most prominent at Anfield and initially began during the half-time interval when the announcer/dj played those songs. YNWA was one of these. It later evolved to being sung during the game. Liverpool sang it first, but unlike all other chart songs of the time, they continued to sing YNWA after it had exited the charts and the dj stopped playing it. Thus they adopted it as their own and it was a firm favourite as Gerry and the Pacemakers were a local band. Liverpool adopted it, everyone else followed. The Man Utd rumour is just that and a wind up myth used by Utd fans. There is not one shred of evidence to support YNWA being sung pre Gerry and the Pacemakers or pre Liverpool. The Celtic link is also false as pre Hillsborough YNWA was not sung on the terraces by Celtic fans. Show me pre-hillsborough footage of them doing so and i'll eat my own shorts....
    pity ya did not say man utd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH3LJ8TFbdM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12